Training Friday 2/2/18 - Live Coverage

Don’t tell Healy.

1 Like

So how did our defensive spread look? How did smith et al go in this regard?

it was on quite a tight angle and the players were under pressure. There was also a medium strength wind Southerly wind. Every time the wind has been in that direction all players have struggled to kick goals from the pocket.

1 Like

I’d really like to hear thoughts on the Parish vs Smith battle. In particular if Parish held his own.

Parish did well but both Scorch and I thought Smith was clearly BOG

1 Like

herald sun headline says stringer was “stomped on”… RIP?

Sammy Draper got a few mentions. Any chance of an AFL call-up on his own merits, or just adequate in the event of emergency?

My underwear has risen like a circus tent!!

1 Like

How did Saad look in the match sim - was he getting many possessions out of the backline?

Love the Smith commentary, I knew he’d dominate if allowed a prominent midfield role.

Langford also getting some good mentions

Shame about Stringer but nothing serious it seems

What’s Noonan doing behind Jackets?

2 Likes

Nice reporting Scotch & Crackers.
Always becomes more real after the tennis is done & dusted.
No more talk of new haircuts & tans.
Can nearly smell the liniment and sherrins.

3 Likes

I’m not getting excited about Smith until @karmabomber is on board

7 Likes

Loved it guys! Thanks!

Can’t wait for more details! Thanks for your awesome work!

1 Like

The intraclub today was 3 20 minutes quarters with no time on and official AFL unpires. There was generalyy an interchange of only 1 player per side at a time. Here’s a breakdown of mu thoughts on the players:

• McGrath
    One of the best. On several occasions was strongly tackled immediately after gaining possession but managed to shug enough to get a good handball off to advantage. Is looking good.

• Bellchambers
    was the best of the ruckman and looks set for the number one ruck

• Parish
    Worked hard, got a lot of the ball and used it to advantage. Looks better than ever

• Langford
    Had a really good game. Was clean with the ball and used it well. Stood up in several tackles and was quick and precise with his decision making

• Smith
    BOG. Ran, defended, attacked, hard as nails and showed some aggro. there was one particular play where he kicked across ground from one back pocket and linked up in the play on the opposite wing, he couldn’t believe he got there so fast. will be a gun

• Stringer
    Didn’t think he did 2 much to be honest. He got a couple of good clearances and linked up the a few times. I’m not sure when he went off but didn’t see much of him after 1/4 time.

• JD
    Did some nice things without being dominating. Kicked very well for goal and shot a sublime pass to Laverde against the wind in the last

• Zerrett
    typical good Zerrett game. in everything as always

• Gleeson
    A little bit more quiet than he has been but didn’t do much wrong

• Goddard
    Played the sweeping role from defense and was solid as always

• Francis
    didn’t train

• Zaha
    Got a bit of the ball without really standing out, I didn’t think his disposal was great today

• Bags
    Didn’t train

• Typical Fanta game zipping around the side of packs. Always looks like something will happen when he is near it.

• Ridley
    was out on the second oval, seems to be stepping up the pace in his rehabilitation

• Green
    Was very good defensively, locked the ball in and created turnovers. Was in the right spot at the right time for his standard cheapies

• Stewart
    Didn’t get many clear possesions, got the ball a few times but either fumbled or was held up in a tackle. Was well beaten in ruck duels.

• Hurley
    Had a ripping duel with Hooker. Probably broke even, Hurley had some great clearances from defense

• Mutch
    Did quite well I thought, got a bit of the ball and was generally clean

• Jerrett
    Did some nice things but probably just didn’t get enough of it.

• Heppell
    Like Zerrett another typical hard working game, didn’t do much wrong

• Luey
    Beaten by both Belly and Draper in the ruck but won some ball around the ground. Might be a long year for Luey

• Myers
    Probably didn’t get enough of it but was a good strong body around the contest

• Houlihan
    Kicked the first goal and had some nice cameos. Was generally clean with the ball

• Stringer
    Didn’t get much of it but was impressive when he did, but wouldn’t have had him in the bests. Had one particular breakaway from a stoppage that was impressive.

• Hooker
    Had a great battle with Hurls, only kicked one from a gimme turnover 10 metres out but was particularly good fighting for and winning ground balls, often getting it out to advantage. Also won a few body on body battles with hurls in the last

• Redman
    I thought he did well, was very composed off half back, competed hard and used it well

• Brown
    Didn’t see to much of Brown, but effectively spoiled on a few occasions

• Ambrose
    Another solid, hardworking, unspectacular game with some ripping tackles

• Zerk
    Only played the first quarter or so before going to the second oval, didn’t do much

• Colyer
    Was on the sidelines in a moonboot

• Laverde
    was quiet the first quarter but was in everything in the last quarter and a half. Looked good in the air and on the ground

• Long
    Just did a few warm ups after training the game but didn’t play

• Guelfi
    Looked quite good, neat and composed without getting aheap of the ball

• Hartley
    had a good battle with Smack, took some nice defensive marks which was pleasing to see, didn’t do much wrong

• Clarke
    Got his hands on it but same problem with disposal under pressure. Hacked it away a couple of times and had a terrible handball that led to a goal

• Draper
    Very impressive. Was overall beaten in the ruck duels be belly but still competed well, and beat Luey, Followed up his work well around the ground and took 2 excellent contested marks. could well replace Luey as number 2 ruck

• Mynott
    Didn’t see too much of him

• McNiece
    was steady but had a couple of uncharacteristic kicking errors including one horrible turnover to hooker in the goalsqaure

• Tippa
    relatively quiet but as always makes thing happen when he is near the ball

• Smack
    worked really hard to contest and won the ball several time when the ball hit the ground. Overall a very good effort. One silly free kick against in the ruck to Draper though

• Irish
    Very good. Had a couple of scintillating runs from packs. One in particular he was in the middle of a pack of about 5-6 players, picked up a difficult ground ball and just took off straight through the pack. Look out in 2018

• Dea
    Was very good I thought. Always is good in the air against both bigger and smaller opponents and steady by hand and foot. Seems too good to be playing reserves but I don’t know who he would replace

85 Likes

whistle

2 Likes

:+1::grinning:

I forgot to mention Saad, I obviously can’t count!

He didn’t get the ball as often as I thought he might, but when he does it’s like magic, everyone around seems to take off. It’s a bit like when Tippa and to a lesser degree (for now) McKenna gets it the players around seem to spring into action

3 Likes

We had two Stringers who didn’t do much? :confused:

Lid on.

6 Likes