Training Friday 20/2/15

This is the only time i’ve seen Gwilt in the red & black, but his presence in the probables side today, plus the training reports from others so far this season would seem to indicate he’s very likely to be a fixture in the 22.

I’m not 100% sure where he sits myself, but while I thought he was in and out of the game a bit today, when he was in it he was very good. We may be thinking he squeezes Dempsey out? Personally I think Dempsey’s speed and evasive ability adds a point of difference we really should keep, but the coaching staff may be thinking differently. Or he could release either Bags or Hibberd further up the ground?

I really don’t know what we’re planning, to be honest. Wait and see on that front.

Hola HM, 24 in yellow was Josh Freezer. Got exposed playing FB a few times as he was assigned Giles and Bellchambers to whom he gave up about 10cm. Made a particularly ghastly mistake by foot deep in defence.
He’s one who often looks the goods at VFL level but was in over his head today.

32, I am fairly sure was Hickey.
HM, I thought Tagliabue was playing? Number 2 in yellow? Was taller than Bellchambers, who continually rag-dolled him.

Having seen the last half a dozen training sessions, I think Langford as a probable is no surprise. He is ticking a lot of boxes. Running patterns, Marking, Work rate and Goal Sense are all excellent for a player in his 1st pre-season. 1 hour into the Match simulation he was still presenting on 100m leads.

McKernan has actually stepped up the last 2 weeks. Seems to be playing with more confidence.
Was solid in the air and at ground level and is definitely a competitive beast. May well prove us wrong.

Carlisle is getting closer and he knows it. Lots of grappling and repeat leading drills with fitness staff today. You’d reckon if he pulls up well after this session that he’ll be back in training next week. At one stage Hird came over, asked Jake how he was feeling and stood and intently watched him doing drills for a few minutes.
He knows how important Jake is to our chances this year.

I thought the inclusion of so many VFL players, and the absence of some high quality, unsurprisingly, saw a significant drop in the quality (not intensity) of the match play as compared to the last couple of weeks.
Just seemed to be a lot more congested and less of the free flowing ball movement, I’ve become accustomed to! It definitely felt a little kamikaze in the first half, hence Hird asking the players to take care of each other at the break.

I do I wonder whether the strong form of Gwilt since the break has lead to the coaches experimenting with Baggers further up the ground. Was interesting to see him in the f50 on several occasions today. Does seem as though he are really trying to build the most versatile list possible. As mentioned previously, Dempsey is yet to really hit his stride after a largely modified pre-season, so he is a major structural Q come round 1.

Melksham was good today. Super vocal, angry as ever and most importantly his decision making with the ball was sound again. Will watch him with an eager eyes over the next couple of weeks.

Tribunal aside, it’s anyone’s guess how the best 22 will look come round 1, On exposed form, I’d say there is as many as 10 guys fighting over 2 spots.

I did notice #2 in yellow, but I didn’t think it was Tagliabue - i thought Tag had dark hair?

Most likely i’m wrong though - as i said, I haven’t see training for a long time, and i’m still working out who is who.

Quoted Post

I did notice #2 in yellow, but I didn't think it was Tagliabue - i thought Tag had dark hair?

Most likely i’m wrong though - as i said, I haven’t see training for a long time, and i’m still working out who is who.

Tagliabue sports a sandy blonde head of hair. I just presumed it was him.
DJR could probably give a full rundown of his physical appearance if you’d so desire.

PS- Jobe’s 2015 model Quads are making Hardingham’s look like twigs.

Was I the only one that when we picked up Gwilt thought “WTF this will be a mistake”?

I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about his pre-season. Maybe he’ll be quite a handy edition. Looking forward to seeing him out there.

Stanton the standout for me. Just a class above, in the right spot all the time, always making space, always breaking lines. Huge effort. Heppell also a class above, winning contested and uncontested ball, just needs to sort out his kicking when he's going full tilt, still tends to be a bit aimless there at times. Zaka was good before injury, a couple of classy low pickups, looks in really good touch for this time of year.

Great news.

Had a crap 2014.

Quoted Post

Was I the only one that when we picked up Gwilt thought "WTF this will be a mistake"? I've heard nothing but amazing things about his pre-season. Maybe he'll be quite a handy edition. Looking forward to seeing him out there.
No, I'll own up to having the same thought

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall at training again, but the great reports really help to get a feel for the way the players and the squad are going.
Thanks JM, CA ,ST and HM

TIPPA was the forward, Gleeson the defender?

Quoted Post

TIPPA was the forward, Gleeson the defender?

Affirmative. Tippa was predominantly on the fwd flank with a couple of cameos at the centre bounce.

I’m not a huge fan of moving players from positions where they’re playing well, but if Gwilt did play Baguley’s spot, Baguley could be pretty good in the angry defensive forward role (if he can kick goals).

Quoted Post

thanks HM. do you see him slipping into a permanent role?

It seems he could pinch hit as a KP or play as a permanent Third Tall. He could play as rebounding defender. He could play as a lock down small/medium defender. Or he could play as a medium/3rd tall forward.

Does he start ahead of any of hooker, hurls or fletch as a 3rd tall? Maybe fletch but i’d say that is unlikely.

I think that the one under most pressure in the back line is probably demps so is inclusions in the ‘possibles’ is very interesting.

IMO Gwilt is not suited as a genuine 3rd tall, but would be OK as a rebound or lock down small/medium defender. I have only seen him at training 3 times but have no doubt he is right on the edge of our best 22 and is competing with Dempsey for the half back. He oozes experience and does not panic. He is very strong, breaks tackles easily and disposes of the ball well. Got a bit of “dash” also. If he is more “accountable” than Dempsey, that attribute may just tip Dempsey out of the 22. I dont think there is room for Dempsey on a wing.
Shame cos I always loved the way Dempsey takes the game on, and quite a few times he has sparked us back into games when we were way behind.

Thanks very much for the training reports!

Thanks for the report :slight_smile:

It’s been a while since i’ve gone to training, so I think i’ll head out next week!

Bags’s tackling ferocity in a midfield role?

That could be quite interesting, and by that I mean delicious.

Quoted Post

Thanks for the report :)

It’s been a while since i’ve gone to training, so I think i’ll head out next week!

Yep, same. Looking fwd to it already!

Quoted Post

…Bellchambers very good around the ground and took some just contemptuous marks deep forward against a smaller opponent I couldn’t recognise (#24 in yellow), but McKernan probably had the edge on him in the ruck duels I thought.

I’m not sure whether this is good or bad news.

I’m going glass half full (lid off-ish) and taking it as a positive. Although am concerned with the monster strapping on McKernan’s L knee. WTF is it with all the patella tendonitis?

Would rather Hibbo move up the field than Bags, Gwilt can cover Hibbo on a flank, there is no one on our list better suited to stopping the oppositions best small forward than Baguely.

Great reports, thanks. From a cold wet London it’s almost like being there.