Training Friday 20/2/15

Quoted Post

Great reports, thanks. From a cold wet London it's almost like being there.

Just leave it at that!

One of my favorite times of the year is pre-season when JM and other contributors do these brilliant training reports. Thanks very much guys.
Encouraging to hear that both Gwilt and McKernan are starting to make an impression as it gets closer to the start of the season. I think both will be very handy for us this year.

Loving hearing about Zerrett’s progress. Sounds like he is ready to rip this season apart. Seems to
be having a real presence at training and maturing quickly too.

Keep the great reports coming guys.

Hardingham is playing for Essendon VFL this year. He is not a top up and will not play NAB cup

Hardingham was listed in 2012, surely couldn’t play NAB.

Dynamic ! Go Trav.

Great to hear McKernan is starting to play well. I guess its that “Red and Black” solidarity infusing him with belief in himself in the context of the group.
It must be a bit upsetting personally to almost drop out of the AFL system . But with hard work and the right environment talented players can turn it around. Shaun, go for it. Show us what you’ve got in the NAB series.

A few pics from today’s session

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Yes fans. Tippa returns!

…and so does young Hepp

…and so does Muscles!

“Anybody got a list of who the hell is training with us today??”

…and more

Browney ups his workload

Stants feeds the ball forward

Tippa refuels as the pace of training heats up

The Xavier boys sticking together!

Winders deep in thought as he laps the oval.

…and still more

Myers and Hurls close to returning to full training

Steinberg and Langford tussle for the ball

Hams stays down after Langford falls across his ankle during a clearance stoppage.

Hams gets medical attention before leaving the ground to get the Docs prognosis!

The brains trust look on with interest.

Belly competes with a “top up”

Coons and Winders share a joke while doing laps.

Joey under the pump on the forward line.

Steiny keeps the pack honest.

@ karmabomber thanks for the photos!!

Great photos - well done.

Age headline tommorrow:

Bombers caught High on Endorphins.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic The brains trust look on with interest.

The last two slips need to start taking this more seriously. They appear to care less than England.

(Great work, KarmaBomber!)

Demps was steady in defence without being brilliant. Looks a little lonely?

I have a feeling Kav may regret going to Maccas before training today!

Jake C was overheard responding to his Performance trainer who had asked him to “pick it up” by saying “I can give you Usain Bolt speed if you want”.

Melky Boy shows he’s not just a pretty face by taking this leap at a throw-in.

Not to be outdone, Dyson leaps over the ruckmen at a ball up.

Hooksy and McKernan have eyes for the contest.

Giles and McKernan face off to be No.2 to Belly.

Tippa’s tackling strength brings Zaka undone.

The doc reviews the outcome of Tippa’s heavy tackle on Zaka.

Belly demonstrates the leap that Bomber fans want plenty of during 2015.

Gwilt in action

Essendon now has Hepp A and Hepp B. What will you make of that Caroline?

Fletch getting assistance with a few stretches. Well he is getting on…

Training starting to take its toll on some of the senior players.

Colyer back and firing fast and accurate.

Karma Bomber, you give great photo !

Quoted Post

Hola HM, 24 in yellow was Josh Freezer. Got exposed playing FB a few times as he was assigned Giles and Bellchambers to whom he gave up about 10cm. Made a particularly ghastly mistake by foot deep in defence. He's one who often looks the goods at VFL level but was in over his head today.

32, I am fairly sure was Hickey.
HM, I thought Tagliabue was playing? Number 2 in yellow? Was taller than Bellchambers, who continually rag-dolled him.

Having seen the last half a dozen training sessions, I think Langford as a probable is no surprise. He is ticking a lot of boxes. Running patterns, Marking, Work rate and Goal Sense are all excellent for a player in his 1st pre-season. 1 hour into the Match simulation he was still presenting on 100m leads.

McKernan has actually stepped up the last 2 weeks. Seems to be playing with more confidence.
Was solid in the air and at ground level and is definitely a competitive beast. May well prove us wrong.

Carlisle is getting closer and he knows it. Lots of grappling and repeat leading drills with fitness staff today. You’d reckon if he pulls up well after this session that he’ll be back in training next week. At one stage Hird came over, asked Jake how he was feeling and stood and intently watched him doing drills for a few minutes.
He knows how important Jake is to our chances this year.

I thought the inclusion of so many VFL players, and the absence of some high quality, unsurprisingly, saw a significant drop in the quality (not intensity) of the match play as compared to the last couple of weeks.
Just seemed to be a lot more congested and less of the free flowing ball movement, I’ve become accustomed to! It definitely felt a little kamikaze in the first half, hence Hird asking the players to take care of each other at the break.

I do I wonder whether the strong form of Gwilt since the break has lead to the coaches experimenting with Baggers further up the ground. Was interesting to see him in the f50 on several occasions today. Does seem as though he are really trying to build the most versatile list possible. As mentioned previously, Dempsey is yet to really hit his stride after a largely modified pre-season, so he is a major structural Q come round 1.

Melksham was good today. Super vocal, angry as ever and most importantly his decision making with the ball was sound again. Will watch him with an eager eyes over the next couple of weeks.

Tribunal aside, it’s anyone’s guess how the best 22 will look come round 1, On exposed form, I’d say there is as many as 10 guys fighting over 2 spots.

Melky angry! Surely your kiddin’

Quoted Post

What the hell is that creature on the right?