Training Friday 21/2/14

I definitely see another Andrew Lovett in Edwards (on the field not off it). Could be a game changer.

Have you been to training much or seen him play previously?
Serious question, because I've never seen him.

Part of an interesting discussion on ruckmen suggested that it might be time to sometimes simply smash the ball forward as everyone is now just sitting in the drop zone for the soft hitouts dropping the ball the feet of the ruckman.  Food for thought certainly.

Love this.

Not all the time, but it's a great option if you have ruck dominance. 

Brisbane used to do it when they were unstopable.  Creates so much more room in the middle, not just for that play but for the next one, and has their midfielders second-guessing their position.

I sincerely hope Jobe is looking into the appropriate accreditation before the AFL clamp down on him for coaching...

Porcine excrement bliss... Love it.

Bomber wanted the players to be much more vocal but his instruction "Keep telling the person with the ball where to go!" was a classic double entendre.  However this did the trick and the players were very vocal from this point onwards.

It was funny after that when there were forty guys yelling at once!

Watson is almost an assistant coach at present and often when they stop after a passage of play for analysis he is the one who instructs the players as to what is required and I noticed that once again he took Joe Daniher aside and was giving him one on one advice.  We've got the best training facility in the competition and possibly the best captain too.

Mods, please ban.

For suggesting he can just try his hand at coaching without two years experience and accreditation?

Concur. 

Edit:  Blast it, Zebba.

I definitely see another Andrew Lovett in Edwards (on the field not off it). Could be a game changer.

The big word is "could". Been a few times to training. Have watched him and he's definitely got Lovett's attributes of soft hands and silky skills.  Just hope he gets the chance to show them off in a real match situation.

Leaked footage of top-secret* training session inserted at end of Browne interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOICt2zdzuQ

* may not be top secret. barely qualifies as footage.

Hes not as quick as Lovett from what I've seen. Certainly doesn't have that explosive acceleration.
Good report, djr. Many thanks.

Leaked footage of top-secret* training session inserted at end of Browne interview:
* may not be top secret. barely qualifies as footage.

I know this thread is the training report but gee browne sounds a really likable young fella. Seems to really love the club and the boys love him. Good vibe at the moment.

nice report dave 

but missed the usual reference to mild or benign conditions by jackie and tiff

and the clacking of high heels, mini skirt and g-string.

ok concentrating on the footy as opposed to rehabbing on the Gumby oval , how many goal steinberg kick? any chance of an upgrade ? we need someone to play the crameri role, stein and harding seem to be in the frame    

Browne is a ripper. Strong kid strong family. Club must stick by him.

Essendon zero goals (well, it seemed like it at times). They must have been very different sessions I hear about where people were kicking bags (either that, or those day‘s half-ground matchplay were with the usual north summer wind behind it, unlike today).

Essendon zero goals (well, it seemed like it at times). They must have been very different sessions I hear about where people were kicking bags (either that, or those day‘s half-ground matchplay were with the usual north summer wind behind it, unlike today).

No, sounds a lot like what ive seen. The focus on defence and disrupting ball movement, not much space afforded to forwards.

when are they training on sunday

Sunday February 23 at 10am - Please note indoor facilities including toilets and the cafe will not be open to public on this day.

Mental Note - pack some poo tickets and a shovel.

Browne is a ripper. Strong kid strong family. Club must stick by him.

Concur. Would love for the club to give him a years contract extension. Would make a strong statement about our club and culture.

Sunday February 23 at 10am - Please note indoor facilities including toilets and the cafe will not be open to public on this day.

Do they have trees to squat behind?

Do they have trees to squat behind?

BYO tree.

nice report dave
but missed the usual reference to mild or benign conditions by jackie and tiff
and the clacking of high heels, mini skirt and g-string.

Dave doesn't wear jocks & finds it difficult to ride the pushy in stilettos.

Edwards was very impressive today - his pace and run through the centre opens up play and he is a beautiful kick.  On one occasion he collected the ball near the centre of the ground, sprinted and looked like he was going to kick the ball to the flank but at the last moment his leg swung across his body and he speared the ball to full forward.

Very happy to read this. Especially coupled with his pace. Getting players with excellent foot skills, who can hit a target, makes you very dangerous - you reduce turnovers and you make the most of your opportunities. 

Edwards potential captain material??

Edwards potential captain material??

He already is captain?... Isn't he?... :/