Training Friday 21/2/14

Your regular reporter has deputised (told) me to start this thread. Today was the first training session I‘ve been to this season (expect lots of newbie reports from the Sunday session, in the lead-up to our game of Tuesday). Overcast and a bit breezy, maybe 50 viewers.

Team came out pretty much right on 10, though they‘d been warming up inside prior to that (not sure how long). This meant they went into matchplay rather quickly, rather than having the long old-school series of kick-to-kicks and skill sessions leading up to that.

On the Gumby Memorial Oval we had Myers, Melksham, and Dempsey doing a long series of the more obvious skills stuff. Kommer did some running, not much else. Browne (crutches) and Bellchambers (normal shoes, insofar as much as his fashion sense allows) were present. No Hams or Dalgleish.

This initial matchplay (no bench) was mostly forward-focused, in the sense that most forward thrusts that failed just became ball-ups. Neil ‘I‘m the coach of the coaches, nothing to do with the players‘ Craig spent plenty of time in the thick of it as quasi-umpire and play-setter, and appears to be, to paraphrase Jackie, in porcine excrement bliss.

Can‘t say I learnt much about our forward approach from this, as the regular stopping and re-setting of the field probably robs forwards of some space. Joe did a little, Carlisle bugger-all, as we failed to notice those tall buggers up forward.

Several times during the 2+ hour session the players huddled in the middle to hear extended bouts of words of wisdom.

Bomber and other club people seemed quite happy with the Gold Coast game, noting ‘we played as we trained‘ (well, for the first half, anyway).

The largest part of the session saw half-ground matchplay (22 players) while the rotating other dozen did extended “keepings off” sessions down the far end of the ground (I think, there may have been some variety). Again, this was by definition forward-focused, as while the first few kicks or handballs out of defence were contested, that‘s a long way from the full-ground defence needed to stop opposition teams getting rebound goals.

The session wrapped up with more full-ground matchplay, but with one team sitting three on the bench. This was the opportunity for the full-ground defense to out. Bomber elbowed Craig aside to run this one, stopping play at one point to lambast the fuller team when they failed to touch the ball for ‘a minute and a half‘.

Some players (Steinberg, Baguley, Zerrett, Colyer, Hardingham, Fantasia) stayed out for some mostly rather average goal-kicking practice afterwards, with Hurley and Goddard the main autograph and photo providers.

Stand-outs? Jobe did little but was as happy to stop play and yell instructions as any coach. Baguley was very good, including some sweet bodywork on full-forward Steinberg at one point (and that‘s one of Steinberg‘s strengths, at least as a defender) and by far the best goal-kicking at the end. And Fletcher is still amazing: making very hard things look very easy.

Stop shouting!

Thanks Dave. Nice report.

(Liked the part about TBC's shoes.)

How far would myers, melk and dempsey be away from full training? Are they moving ok?

Thanks DJR, much appreciated.

Has anyone provided an explanation as to Myers injury? Hammies again?

when are they training on sunday

Stop shouting!

Blame new Blitz for kindly preserving copied-in formats!

Stop shouting!

Good report anyway DJ.  :)

Stop shouting!

Sort of fixed

Stop shouting!

Sort of fixed
Thanks 'boot. Makes it easier to read on the iPhone.

Thanks for the report DJR. Doesn’t sound like you were terribly impressed.

Not hugely, though I have little context to say if it was unusual. The matchplay setup encouraged a clustered forward line, which never looks good. Was pretty happy with our pick-ups: some nice run off HB courtesy of GWS, Rayner doesn‘t look out of place, Ambrose nicely outpointed Hurley in one contest.

Session needed more Hams.

Sunday February 23 at 10am - Please note indoor facilities including toilets and the cafe will not be open to public on this day.

clustering in the forward line does not have to be an issue, as long as you use the cluster to provide blocks for leads.

Sunday February 23 at 10am - Please note indoor facilities including toilets and the cafe will not be open to public on this day.

awesome, might try and make it out there.

Compelling and rich.

Thanks Dave.

cheers dave.

Enjoyed your report David its nice to have someone else's take on things.

Everyone seems pleased with Thurlow's performance and I was told that he could be a ten year player which is optimistic but good if it happens. This was accompanied by the comment that he is quite quick and moves well.  Consensus seems to be that if Jolley had been selected instead of Thurlow that there was less upside because of his age and his body would not have lasted out the season. Part of an interesting discussion on ruckmen suggested that it might be time to sometimes simply smash the ball forward as everyone is now just sitting in the drop zone for the soft hitouts dropping the ball the feet of the ruckman.  Food for thought certainly.

Bomber wanted the players to be much more vocal but his instruction "Keep telling the person with the ball where to go!" was a classic double entendre.  However this did the trick and the players were very vocal from this point onwards. 

I'm tipping Zac Merret to be in the side round one and there is also a lot of love for Gleeson at present.

Edwards was very impressive today - his pace and run through the centre opens up play and he is a beautiful kick.  On one occasion he collected the ball near the centre of the ground, sprinted and looked like he was going to kick the ball to the flank but at the last moment his leg swung across his body and he speared the ball to full forward.

Watson is almost an assistant coach at present and often when they stop after a passage of play for analysis he is the one who instructs the players as to what is required and I noticed that once again he took Joe Daniher aside and was giving him one on one advice.  We've got the best training facility in the competition and possibly the best captain too.

I definitely see another Andrew Lovett in Edwards (on the field not off it). Could be a game changer.

Bomber wanted the players to be much more vocal but his instruction "Keep telling the person with the ball where to go!" was a classic double entendre.  However this did the trick and the players were very vocal from this point onwards.

It was funny after that when there were forty guys yelling at once!

Watson is almost an assistant coach at present and often when they stop after a passage of play for analysis he is the one who instructs the players as to what is required and I noticed that once again he took Joe Daniher aside and was giving him one on one advice.  We've got the best training facility in the competition and possibly the best captain too.

Mods, please ban.