Training Friday 5/12/14

Well I think that Collingwood have just paid us a HUGE compliment. Cleary they rate us.
Whats more they were not kicked out.
That shows the strength of Hirdy, and sends a message to our players: sure come and have a look, we dont give a rats, we will settle this next Anzac Day !

How is Zaka moving?  Saw a photo of him recently with patella tendon straps on both knees, which is not an ideal scenario for a running player.  Hopefully just precautionary.

Not sure. Zaka wears these a lot on both knees.
Here is his injury history off the Blitz injury record.
No instance of patellar issues mentioned. But the knee in 2014
Zaharakis, David
2014 - knee
2013 - back
2013 pre-season - quad
2012 - quad
2010 - knee (MCL), groin surgery (post-season)
2009 - corked calf, hip flexor
2009 pre-season - groin
2008 - Glandular fever

Another great training report!

Thank you to Jackie and all the other contributors. You almost deserve a pay cheque (almost ;))

What happend to chapman?

The injuries really are a worry for us as it is interrupting pre-season for some very important players.
Jackie, following the comments that you stated from Lloyd dubbing Zachary a future star just like so many of us on here, what is he like at training? Is he vocal and prominent in everything that he does? Is he as big of a standout on the track as he is on gameday as to me he just exudes class with whatever he does on the field.
Also appears to have formed a tight-nit group with Hepp and Big Joe from what I have seen on social media.

He's still learning.  I would describe him as very composed on the track.

thanks jackie.

Get remember whether it was you or someone else but last concerns were expressed about sideways ball movement. Were they more direct this morning?

Yes - someone else commented on this today.

Thanks for the report and for taking up on my ongoing interest in Shaun Edwards' development.

On Cooney, before his injury he was a cracking clearance player. But after his knee issues he became more of an uncontested ball winner. I was interested to note that in last weeks report he was a standout in a clearance drill you described.  From match practice today does it look like he will be part of our centre bounce strategy or will he be mainly an outside run and carry wingman?

Let's wait and see some games - it's too early to tell and not all is revealed on the track.

" Long is exceptionally lengthy from knee to hip and elbow to wrist which ... make him a very desirable acquisition."

??

Long legs = long stride.

Long Arms = good overhead mark for his size.

Something like a long neck adding to a players height measurement is less useful

More on Laverde please? I understand he went off early but did he look ready-ish at all? What did he do well? How's his size amongst our older boys?

Looks a good size.  I didn't see enough of him to comment but the recruiters rate him highly - ahead of Langford I think.  Although Langford was taken earler I suspect this might have been for tactical reasons in the draft.  I don't think his injury was serious.

So Disco must of had the mail on who Carlton were going to take. Let's hope the scum rue the day that happened.

The next two friday sessions I shall be attending and I look forward to joining up with the regulars.

so funny you mentioned the soccer game/wheelie bin game from the Windy hill days.... I manage and operate sports clinics in schools and i have intrdoduced the wheelie bin challenge - but it is a throwing game instead of kicking - heaps of fun and engagement.

pW3a6pt__bigger.pngEssendon FC ‏@EssendonFC 2m2 minutes ago

Good to see @CollingwoodFC at training today: http://bombe.rs/1FIEK3G Will wee see you for our big Xmas training?

B4DfvIaCQAAbwf8.png

No doggy bags at tulla

Thanks for the reports, has there been any improvement in J.Merret?? Hoping to have both the Merret’s out there carving it up next year…

Not that I've noticed but that probably doesn't mean much at this stage.

According to the Langford video posted at the start of this week, the draftees are doing 2km time trial today. I hope that the club post the footage/results.

Thanks for the reports, has there been any improvement in J.Merret?? Hoping to have both the Merret's out there carving it up next year..

His skills are at his usual high level. He looks a very serious sort of player, confident too, and as noted before in some thread somewhere, he is very vocal at training, likes to call for the ball and has no hesitation instructing which players the ball carrier should look to dish it off to and things like that. I think this is a very positive thing.

I get the impression he is a receiver much more than a giver, not a knock on the lad.
I never really realised how agile he is and how much he loves a tackle either.

Correct me if im wrong but he doenst really get too involved in training with the big boys quite yet. Early call because plans could well change, but I reckon he's the definition of fringe player ATM.

Dont think the issue with JMerrett has ever been the skill set though. Reckon the only two things holding him is a requisite bona fide elite fitness and a bit more hardness.

Get the impression he has to become a Brent Stanton type player. Receive the ball and use your fitness and skills to dish it off to people in dangerous positions, go forward occasionally and kick a few goals, but can play inside in spits and spurts to cover for others.

How is Zaka moving?  Saw a photo of him recently with patella tendon straps on both knees, which is not an ideal scenario for a running player.  Hopefully just precautionary.

He always wears those

Thanks for the reports. Always welcomed.

Johnny Birt was a great player for Essendon, terrific goal kicker. There wasn’t much of him.

I seriously like jackson merrett. I reckon he can be a huge suprise next year

I seriously like jackson merrett. I reckon he can be a huge suprise next year

Will need to be to break into our best 22

Thanks for the reports, has there been any improvement in J.Merret?? Hoping to have both the Merret's out there carving it up next year..

His skills are at his usual high level. He looks a very serious sort of player, confident too, and as noted before in some thread somewhere, he is very vocal at training, likes to call for the ball and has no hesitation instructing which players the ball carrier should look to dish it off to and things like that. I think this is a very positive thing.

I get the impression he is a receiver much more than a giver, not a knock on the lad.
Correct me if im wrong but he doenst really get too involved in training with the big boys quite yet. Early call because plans could well change, but I reckon he's the definition of fringe player ATM.

Dont think the issue with JMerrett has ever been the skill set though. Reckon the only two things holding him is a requisite bona fide elite fitness and a bit more hardness.

Get the impression he has to become a Brent Stanton type player. Receive the ball and use your fitness and skills to dish it off to people in dangerous positions, go forward occasionally and kick a few goals, but can play inside in spits and spurts to cover for others.
When he was flying early doors this season I really thought "we've got Stanton's replacement here". Obviously his season then turned to rubbish, but if he can capture that form again in the future and sustain it, he should become a very good link man.

Sensational reports as always, inspired me to try to get there as much as possible myself from now on as well!

When he was flying early doors this season I really thought "we've got Stanton's replacement here". Obviously his season then turned to rubbish, but if he can capture that form again in the future and sustain it, he should become a very good link man.

I have the impression hes more a cherry on top kind of player, in that if our core group is sorted and flying adding him will benefit us a lot but won't be as beneficial in a nitty gritty scenario.

Myers left hamstring looks like he has a lump in it.

It's just the muscle though   :o

I have the impression hes more a cherry on top kind of player, in that if our core group is sorted and flying adding him will benefit us a lot but won't be as beneficial in a nitty gritty scenario.
Yeah that, in my opinion is how he has tracked so far. Great to hear him being vocal at training and getting into it. Lot of upside if he could get a bit more confidence and composure into his game.