Training Friday 5/12/14

I've already lost track of the 'didn't get a full pre-season' list...

Bags
Browne
..?

In today's report alone:
Chapman
Carlisle
Gwilt
La Verde
Browne
Kommer
Giles
Pears

Doubt anyone would do every minute of every session. It's when they miss multiple sessions across multiple weeks you get worried.

pW3a6pt__bigger.pngEssendon FC â€@EssendonFC  2m2 minutes ago
Good to see @CollingwoodFC at training today: http://bombe.rs/1FIEK3G  Will wee see you for our big Xmas training?
B4DfvIaCQAAbwf8.png

Robert Harvey clearly not interested in whatever the other 3 were looking at.

Probably been casing the joint, I wouldn't be surprised if Hirdy found his car up on blocks.

Heard about our new recruit, wanted to find out how good the SMACK was this side of town.

Brilliant JM and crumbs. Thanks.

The injuries really are a worry for us as it is interrupting pre-season for some very important players.
Jackie, following the comments that you stated from Lloyd dubbing Zachary a future star just like so many of us on here, what is he like at training? Is he vocal and prominent in everything that he does? Is he as big of a standout on the track as he is on gameday as to me he just exudes class with whatever he does on the field.
Also appears to have formed a tight-nit group with Hepp and Big Joe from what I have seen on social media.

He's still learning.  I would describe him as very composed on the track.

thanks jackie.

Get remember whether it was you or someone else but last concerns were expressed about sideways ball movement. Were they more direct this morning?

Yes - someone else commented on this today.

Thanks for the report and for taking up on my ongoing interest in Shaun Edwards' development.

On Cooney, before his injury he was a cracking clearance player. But after his knee issues he became more of an uncontested ball winner. I was interested to note that in last weeks report he was a standout in a clearance drill you described.  From match practice today does it look like he will be part of our centre bounce strategy or will he be mainly an outside run and carry wingman?

Let's wait and see some games - it's too early to tell and not all is revealed on the track.

" Long is exceptionally lengthy from knee to hip and elbow to wrist which ... make him a very desirable acquisition."

??

Long legs = long stride.

Long Arms = good overhead mark for his size.

Something like a long neck adding to a players height measurement is less useful

More on Laverde please? I understand he went off early but did he look ready-ish at all? What did he do well? How's his size amongst our older boys?

Looks a good size.  I didn't see enough of him to comment but the recruiters rate him highly - ahead of Langford I think.  Although Langford was taken earler I suspect this might have been for tactical reasons in the draft.  I don't think his injury was serious.

Thanks a mil

The injuries really are a worry for us as it is interrupting pre-season for some very important players.
Jackie, following the comments that you stated from Lloyd dubbing Zachary a future star just like so many of us on here, what is he like at training? Is he vocal and prominent in everything that he does? Is he as big of a standout on the track as he is on gameday as to me he just exudes class with whatever he does on the field.
Also appears to have formed a tight-nit group with Hepp and Big Joe from what I have seen on social media.

He's still learning.  I would describe him as very composed on the track.

thanks jackie.

Get remember whether it was you or someone else but last concerns were expressed about sideways ball movement. Were they more direct this morning?

Yes - someone else commented on this today.

Thanks for the report and for taking up on my ongoing interest in Shaun Edwards' development.

On Cooney, before his injury he was a cracking clearance player. But after his knee issues he became more of an uncontested ball winner. I was interested to note that in last weeks report he was a standout in a clearance drill you described.  From match practice today does it look like he will be part of our centre bounce strategy or will he be mainly an outside run and carry wingman?

Let's wait and see some games - it's too early to tell and not all is revealed on the track.

" Long is exceptionally lengthy from knee to hip and elbow to wrist which ... make him a very desirable acquisition."

??

Long legs = long stride.

Something like a long neck adding to a players height measurement is less useful

More on Laverde please? I understand he went off early but did he look ready-ish at all? What did he do well? How's his size amongst our older boys?

Looks a good size.  I didn't see enough of him to comment but the recruiters rate him highly - ahead of Langford I think.  Although Langford was taken earler I suspect this might have been for tactical reasons in the draft.  I don't think his injury was serious.

McKernan. Plays small.

pW3a6pt__bigger.pngEssendon FC ‏@EssendonFC 2m2 minutes ago
Good to see @CollingwoodFC at training today: http://bombe.rs/1FIEK3G Will wee see you for our big Xmas training?
B4DfvIaCQAAbwf8.png

Everybody knows something special is going to happen this year at Bomberland and everyone wants to see it.
LID OFF.
They're checking out laverde. A customer at work (Carlton supporter) is his cousin and during the draft they thought he was going to an interstate side after pick 10 was read out and his family thought they were gonna have to go interstate, said that essendon didn't really speak to laverde and the only reason they thought he was going to go interstate was because only collingwood showed real interest in him and spoke with him, but I think they picked up Ahern with their first pick and didn't think laverde was worth that, but were willing to use their pick 9 on him but unfortunately had that f/sed to Darcy Moore.

Last week after training the car that drove out of the carpark in front of me had a 'collingwood member 2014' bumper sticker. This week their coaches show up.

Seems like black ops to me.

Last week after training the car that drove out of the carpark in front of me had a 'collingwood member 2014' bumper sticker. This week their coaches show up.

Seems like black ops to me.

Probably Aaron Meadows.

??

Long legs = long stride.

F56RVdU.jpg

Mitch is nodding in quiet agreement, you just can't see it for obvious reasons.

Love the report, but its not La Verde.

Good to see @CollingwoodFC at training today: http://bombe.rs/1FIEK3G Will wee see you for our big Xmas training?B4DfvIaCQAAbwf8.png

Everybody knows something special is going to happen this year at Bomberland and everyone wants to see it.
LID OFF.
They're checking out laverde. A customer at work (Carlton supporter) is his cousin and during the draft they thought he was going to an interstate side after pick 10 was read out and his family thought they were gonna have to go interstate, said that essendon didn't really speak to laverde and the only reason they thought he was going to go interstate was because only collingwood showed real interest in him and spoke with him, but I think they picked up Ahern with their first pick and didn't think laverde was worth that, but were willing to use their pick 9 on him but unfortunately had that f/sed to Darcy Moore.

■■■■■■ 'ell that's a long sentence!

He'll play senior footy this year. Great build. Doesn't look overwhelmed. Moves VERY well in traffic has a great turn of pace. Won't make too many big calls on his first opening training session  ;)

I don't know what the coaches have planned for Laverde but on 1st impressions I wouldn't be suprised if he played collective senior games. He's got plenty of toe and the kicking action of Goddard - low and direct. Would love to see him on the wings charging forward. 

Licka was used allot running off HB = players often yelling "use licka!!" - very happy to see him play on. I also thought the AIS kid wearing number 8 looked at home and did some nice things. 

Dalgleish played on Watson downback and beat him on every occasion. Watson copped a cheerful spray for not using his body on the more athletic opposition. Thought Dalgleish moved nicely. 

Myers was not injured. Did full training from what I could see. Then put in the extra miles by doing laps at the end and goal kicking. 

I havent been to a training since the mid 90's so I'm not entirely sure what the norm is but I had an awesome time out there looking on. From my perspective everyone was loud, smiling (maybe not KAV!) and enjoying themselves. Also should point out Allessio and Hird being particularly friendly to anyone that was interested - not nearly as arrogant as I was hoping. Kudos to them for hanging with the onlookers and asking everyone how the team was looking. 

Sensational report Jackie.

Were Myers and Dempsey still mostly running laps or have they joined in full training?

As Barnz stated both trained fully. Initially I thought that Dempsey looked a bit "big" but he trained really well today in Paddy's number 30 guernsey.

Thanks.

I thought the same about Dempsey last week, but he kept up with Bags and the fitness bloke in all the running they did so he must be fit. 

Thanks for the reports guys, much appreciated.

Thanks for the training report. The highlight of my week :)

Was a 2 hour + session. Some thoughts that I can remember to add to Jackies awesomeness... Feel free to ask questions..

- Long struggled at the start. Slight frame got thrown around a bit in some drills. He looked buggard but then seemingly turned a corner and did some sublime things including some great long field kicking during the match simulation. He also won the goal kicking comp which made the whole group go ape and jump on him...was great to see.

- Bags. Machine like with a ****** hand. 

- Cooney made a few of our favourite/best players look slow at times. Darting quickly out of the packs. Agility and speed is certainly still there. Carlisle said from the sidelines "the ***** doesnt miss does he" to which Bassett had a chuckle in agreement after he snapped a great goal. 

- Laverde looked ready to go before rolling his foot. Walked off fine and wouldn't be too concerned. 

- Hurley hardly put a foot wrong. His kicking is beautiful and worth every cent. 

- Dempsey looked like he needs to drop a few kilos but was running freely. 

- During the soccer segment, our new irish recruit copped a hilarious spray for "being selfish" T-bell laying into him which was highly amusing. Obviously settling in already. Was funny watching Watson, T-bell, Fletcher, Licha and young irish playing soccer. Lots of *** for tatt and a really fun atmosphere.

- Joe D and Hurley at the end slotting goal after goal with Lloyd watching on was great to see. Much steadier run up and in breezy conditions neither missed many. On the opposite end of the scale Heppel, Melksham and edwards hardly got one in....

the swear filter is hilarious. T.i.t. and p.r.i.c.k. filtered??

How is Zaka moving?  Saw a photo of him recently with patella tendon straps on both knees, which is not an ideal scenario for a running player.  Hopefully just precautionary.

Good to see @CollingwoodFC at training today: http://bombe.rs/1FIEK3G Will wee see you for our big Xmas training?
B4DfvIaCQAAbwf8.png

LID OFF.

There is no point checking him out now, the horse has already bolted. (Thank god)
Also they picked up De Goey at 5 and GWS to Ahern with either 6 or 7 from memory.