Training Friday Feb 12

It's coming together I reckon, jay Clarks vids on Twitter showing really good spread and attack
It's falling apart I reckon, Jay Clarks vids on twitter show we can't defend teams that spread and attack.
Worsfold = Matthew Knights

Again from the HUN

LATEST

I’ve just hit up Jay Clark for a bit of an overall report from the Essendon match simulation and he’s given me some great stuff.

Here’s what he’s taken from this morning’s session.

Like the look of Darcy Parish, looks like he’s just slotted straight in, so composed and crafty with the footy. He doesn’t necessarily do the fantastic things but can see him developing into a trusty player.

Jayden Laverde and Kyle Langford have size, athleticism that allows them to play anywhere. They will do some special things particualrly on half forward line.

Questions marks in the ruck - Shaun McKernan and Sam Grimley will need to take big strides forward to support Joe Daniher who will have a lot on his plate this year.

Brendon Goddard as demanding as always on the field but you saw why the Dons made Mark Baguley the vice-captain - was so courageous and hard in defence.

Best: Zaharakis, Baguley, Goddard, Gwilt, Crowley, Kelly.

Did Looney play?

Zaka is back baby

Gee that footage is pretty useless even stretched out on a big screen…turn ya phone sideways ya nuffy

Gee that footage is pretty useless even stretched out on a big screen...turn ya phone sideways ya nuffy
Yeah, i really wanted to see Yestin in action. but all i could make out was someone doing a semi circle and getting tackled just after the kick.

However this one excites me. Parish quick hand ball (to who knows) and then a strong mark by (McKernan apparently)

Yestin

Match simulation was the main part of training today. Players were all very vocal and several stepped up to take on leadership responsibilities. Crowley was encouraging young blokes to look up as soon as they got the ball in order to see and honour leads. Goddard was grumpy. Even Yestin was directing a couple of young guys in the backline. Kommer was a standout discussing positioning in one on one conversations as well as being responsible for forward line structure, particularly at stoppages and kick ins. At one point the ball came in high and long to the forward pocket where Laverde took a nice mark and converted however it was Kommer that received praise from all the players “Your goal Komzi!” for taking out the defenders and making the play work.

To begin with the game play was rather scrappy but as it progressed there was significant improvement. The players are getting to know each other a bit better which is good; I didn’t recognise half of them at first :slight_smile: At the end of game play there were many positives to take away. Kelly is a ball magnet and a very talented player. Matt Dea is a confident and steady player. Grimley is a great pickup, he was very good in game play often finding space working together with Kommer. They created a few goals and really improve the forward line. We have quite a few good players running around, hopefully the coaches can turn that into a cohesive team over the next couple of months. As benfti mentioned “It’s coming together”. We’re in for an interesting season.

After the game simulation I watched some one on one contested marking contests where a point was awarded for taking the mark or winning the resulting ground ball. It might surprise some here that Ambrose was very good at this, using his strength to advantage and holding marks. The Langford absolutely ruled with his excellent judgement of the ball in flight, sticky fingers and strong body work. Smack aka Horse was also impressive.

The red team looked like the Essendon of last season and black team was like our opposition from last year.

Red team controlled the ball but when they went forward nothing was working. Joe was doubled teamed. Black team seem to break away and find a player in the 50 and score from set shots.

The skills were getting better from last week. The understanding between players is also improving. This was I guess expected.

Have to say Grimley is just what the doctor ordered. We haven’t had a leading forward for a long time. He seems to get into a good position and lead. Can finish off nicely too.

McKernan is becoming a beast in the air. Took at least half a dozen pack/contested marks. Really impressive.

The Parish/Laverde combination happened a couple of times. Once to break away from defense. Other was an attacking move. They had me excited. Laverde is a great mark too.

Wow Raz is a good player. If we can get 20 games into him this year he will be a weapon for us off the wing/hb years to come. Couple of nice runs today.

Brown and Hartley are good players. They played really well. I think they will do a good job this year.

Tippa’s ability to hit players with both his feet shouldn’t be under estimated. Though he didn’t get it too many times his skills are superb.

Dempsey is working really hard. Seems focused and was doing everything right. Tackling / smothering etc.

A question for regular training watchers. Have you guys seen Zacka training this well before. He has been right on top and has looked like an elite player so far.

Match simulation was the main part of training today. Players were all very vocal and several stepped up to take on leadership responsibilities. Crowley was encouraging young blokes to look up as soon as they got the ball in order to see and honour leads. Goddard was grumpy. Even Yestin was directing a couple of young guys in the backline. Kommer was a standout discussing positioning in one on one conversations as well as being responsible for forward line structure, particularly at stoppages and kick ins. At one point the ball came in high and long to the forward pocket where Laverde took a nice mark and converted however it was Kommer that received praise from all the players "Your goal Komzi!" for taking out the defenders and making the play work. ...
This is what i want to see more of this season

It hasn’t appeared so to date in this pre-season (purely based on photos) but are we seeing “probables” versus “maybe” teams starting to be formed?

Match simulation was the main part of training today. Players were all very vocal and several stepped up to take on leadership responsibilities. Crowley was encouraging young blokes to look up as soon as they got the ball in order to see and honour leads. Goddard was grumpy. Even Yestin was directing a couple of young guys in the backline. Kommer was a standout discussing positioning in one on one conversations as well as being responsible for forward line structure, particularly at stoppages and kick ins. At one point the ball came in high and long to the forward pocket where Laverde took a nice mark and converted however it was Kommer that received praise from all the players "Your goal Komzi!" for taking out the defenders and making the play work. To begin with the game play was rather scrappy but as it progressed there was significant improvement. The players are getting to know each other a bit better which is good; I didn't recognise half of them at first :) At the end of game play there were many positives to take away. Kelly is a ball magnet and a very talented player. Matt Dea is a confident and steady player. Grimley is a great pickup, he was very good in game play often finding space working together with Kommer. They created a few goals and really improve the forward line. We have quite a few good players running around, hopefully the coaches can turn that into a cohesive team over the next couple of months. As benfti mentioned "It's coming together". We're in for an interesting season.

After the game simulation I watched some one on one contested marking contests where a point was awarded for taking the mark or winning the resulting ground ball. It might surprise some here that Ambrose was very good at this, using his strength to advantage and holding marks. The Langford absolutely ruled with his excellent judgement of the ball in flight, sticky fingers and strong body work. Smack aka Horse was also impressive.

This is what i want to see more of this season

Yeah some goals will be nice this year.

Marty’s been eating!

Thanks for the reports. It is kinda sad that all of you are better than Jay Clark, and he gets paid for it.

Just a question regarding some of the newer players in Bird and Simpkin. What were their roles and how did they play? Also interested to hear if players like Kommer, Eades, Dea and Tippa are doing enough to get a rnd 1 birth.

The red team looked like the Essendon of last season and black team was like our opposition from last year.

Red team controlled the ball but when they went forward nothing was working. Joe was doubled teamed. Black team seem to break away and find a player in the 50 and score from set shots.

The skills were getting better from last week. The understanding between players is also improving. This was I guess expected.

Have to say Grimley is just what the doctor ordered. We haven’t had a leading forward for a long time. He seems to get into a good position and lead. Can finish off nicely too.

McKernan is becoming a beast in the air. Took at least half a dozen pack/contested marks. Really impressive.

The Parish/Laverde combination happened a couple of times. Once to break away from defense. Other was an attacking move. They had me excited. Laverde is a great mark too.

Wow Raz is a good player. If we can get 20 games into him this year he will be a weapon for us off the wing/hb years to come. Couple of nice runs today.

Brown and Hartley are good players. They played really well. I think they will do a good job this year.

Tippa’s ability to hit players with both his feet shouldn’t be under estimated. Though he didn’t get it too many times his skills are superb.

Dempsey is working really hard. Seems focused and was doing everything right. Tackling / smothering etc.

A question for regular training watchers. Have you guys seen Zacka training this well before. He has been right on top and has looked like an elite player so far.

oh, lid farken offff!

If only it was visible in Jay Clark’s video how good Yestin was in that passage of play. Literally evaded about 10 guys and not long before that snapped an opportunistic goal. I don’t want to channel Bruce but I called it as I saw it, this kid is special! I echo the sentiments of hambo and benfti. There was significant improvement this week. They gelled a hell of a lot more and it’s starting to come together. Grimley really is a massive target up forward. Can clunk a mark and follow it up with a set shot goal. Tippa impressed with his defensive pressure particularly in the first 2 quarters of the 3 stanza hit out. It’s just great to see so many of our youngsters out there getting a few kicks. I also really liked seeing Smack take a few grabs up forward. Hartley is solid as a rock in the backline. Plays close to his man and often gets the spoil in. I walked away quite pleased with today’s session.

news of hartley and brown performing well is so very encouraging . The degree to which we will be competitive this season is directly correlated to how well those two perform.

Thanks for the reports. It is kinda sad that all of you are better than Jay Clark, and he gets paid for it.

Just a question regarding some of the newer players in Bird and Simpkin. What were their roles and how did they play? Also interested to hear if players like Kommer, Eades, Dea and Tippa are doing enough to get a rnd 1 birth.

Bird seemed to be involved a fair bit in the midfield during the scratch match. I couldn’t quite see if he was inside or outside but given he and Cooney basically ran laps and did bike all pre Xmas, it’s great to see them getting amongst it in the guts.

I personally feel like all those players you named could play round 1 but obviously it depends on what mix Woosha and the coaches wanna go with. Apparently Woosha said in his press conference this morning that at this stage only Stokes and Jamar won’t play NAB Round 1 so all the boys are gonna have a chance to stake their claim at some point in the pre season. I’m hoping to see Eades there in Round 1 as he is a real live wire.

news of hartley and brown performing well is so very encouraging . The degree to which we will be competitive this season is directly correlated to how well those two perform.

Tend to agree Ivan. I know the likes of Jobe and Hepp can’t be replaced but I feel that with Crowley and Kelly supporting our young guys in the engine room that we can at least stay competitive there. It’s the likes of Brown and Hartley and whoever plays where Hurley and Hooker would’ve played that interests me the most.

Clunk McKernan. I knew it.