Training Friday Feb 12

any word on J Merrett

This is why i wanted us to trade for Grimley or pick him up as delisted free agent.

Genuine goal kicking tall forward

Clunk McKernan. I knew it.

Clunk Smack?

news of hartley and brown performing well is so very encouraging . The degree to which we will be competitive this season is directly correlated to how well those two perform.

Great post, 100% agree

Clunk McKernan. I knew it.

Clunk Smack?

Trunk Smack
Thanks for the reports. It is kinda sad that all of you are better than Jay Clark, and he gets paid for it.

Just a question regarding some of the newer players in Bird and Simpkin. What were their roles and how did they play? Also interested to hear if players like Kommer, Eades, Dea and Tippa are doing enough to get a rnd 1 birth.

Bird seemed to be involved a fair bit in the midfield during the scratch match. I couldn’t quite see if he was inside or outside but given he and Cooney basically ran laps and did bike all pre Xmas, it’s great to see them getting amongst it in the guts.

I personally feel like all those players you named could play round 1 but obviously it depends on what mix Woosha and the coaches wanna go with. Apparently Woosha said in his press conference this morning that at this stage only Stokes and Jamar won’t play NAB Round 1 so all the boys are gonna have a chance to stake their claim at some point in the pre season. I’m hoping to see Eades there in Round 1 as he is a real live wire.

Thanks! How was Simpkin! Did he play on the wing?

Match simulation was the main part of training today. Players were all very vocal and several stepped up to take on leadership responsibilities. Crowley was encouraging young blokes to look up as soon as they got the ball in order to see and honour leads. Goddard was grumpy. Even Yestin was directing a couple of young guys in the backline. Kommer was a standout discussing positioning in one on one conversations as well as being responsible for forward line structure, particularly at stoppages and kick ins. At one point the ball came in high and long to the forward pocket where Laverde took a nice mark and converted however it was Kommer that received praise from all the players "Your goal Komzi!" for taking out the defenders and making the play work.

To begin with the game play was rather scrappy but as it progressed there was significant improvement. The players are getting to know each other a bit better which is good; I didn’t recognise half of them at first :slight_smile: At the end of game play there were many positives to take away. Kelly is a ball magnet and a very talented player. Matt Dea is a confident and steady player. Grimley is a great pickup, he was very good in game play often finding space working together with Kommer. They created a few goals and really improve the forward line. We have quite a few good players running around, hopefully the coaches can turn that into a cohesive team over the next couple of months. As benfti mentioned “It’s coming together”. We’re in for an interesting season.

After the game simulation I watched some one on one contested marking contests where a point was awarded for taking the mark or winning the resulting ground ball. It might surprise some here that Ambrose was very good at this, using his strength to advantage and holding marks. The Langford absolutely ruled with his excellent judgement of the ball in flight, sticky fingers and strong body work. Smack aka Horse was also impressive.

@Stallion ?

Thanks for the reports. It is kinda sad that all of you are better than Jay Clark, and he gets paid for it.

Just a question regarding some of the newer players in Bird and Simpkin. What were their roles and how did they play? Also interested to hear if players like Kommer, Eades, Dea and Tippa are doing enough to get a rnd 1 birth.

Bird seemed to be involved a fair bit in the midfield during the scratch match. I couldn’t quite see if he was inside or outside but given he and Cooney basically ran laps and did bike all pre Xmas, it’s great to see them getting amongst it in the guts.

I personally feel like all those players you named could play round 1 but obviously it depends on what mix Woosha and the coaches wanna go with. Apparently Woosha said in his press conference this morning that at this stage only Stokes and Jamar won’t play NAB Round 1 so all the boys are gonna have a chance to stake their claim at some point in the pre season. I’m hoping to see Eades there in Round 1 as he is a real live wire.

Thanks! How was Simpkin! Did he play on the wing?

Can’t say I took particular notice but he was definitely getting involved. There is definitely a good balance with guys like Simpkin and then youngsters like Parish so it transitions well.

I know, I know.

But just Imagine IF WE BEAT A TOP 4 SIDE THIS YR.

That’s all I want besides young player development.

A ripping win to savior…

Then I’m happy to ‘develop’ and end up with a top 3 pick :wink:

any word on J Merrett

He looks fit, same as usual, nothing spectacular. Probably will get a game but Parish or Eades could be squeezing the likes of Jacko out of the team before long.

Nice to hear that Hartley in particular is performing well. I am the self appointed conductor on the Hartley Train so feeling good for now.

any word on J Merrett

He looks fit, same as usual, nothing spectacular. Probably will get a game but Parish or Eades could be squeezing the likes of Jacko out of the team before long.

Agreed on that. He kicked a good set shot goal but didn’t notice him much apart from that.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-12/ryan-crowley-will-play-forward-as-well-as-tag-for-essendon RYAN Crowley will no longer be used just in a tagging role at Essendon, with the Bombers planning for him to spend time up forward at his new club in 2016.

The former Docker proved himself dangerous in attack in Essendon’s intra-club practice match at the True Value Solar Centre on Friday.

Crowley presented well on the lead as a mid-sized forward and he also took a big grab over the top of a pack early in the game, made up of three stanzas of around 25 minutes, before slotting his set shot from directly in front.

“Crowls has developed a big reputation as a tagger, but he was recruited as a midfielder,” coach John Worsfold said prior to training.

"He can definitely worry teams when forward.

“We won’t use Crowley in purely that (tagging) kind of role.”

Fellow veteran top-up player James Kelly also displayed his experience across half-back for the opposing ‘Black’ team, sneaking forward to nail a clever set-shot from tight on the boundary.

David Zaharakis was prolific through the midfield and forward of centre for the ‘Red’ team, while highly-rated draftee Darcy Parish displayed his competitiveness around the contest.

Rookie Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti was composed with ball in hand while Yestin Eades was lively up forward.

Worsfold said veteran top-ups Mathew Stokes and Mark Jamar would not play in Essendon’s first NAB Challenge match.

Ruckman Matthew Leuenberger, who has been dealing with Achilles soreness, would also be unavailable. The Lions recruit spent the training session jogging laps around the boundary and working with top draftee Aaron Francis on the far oval at Tullamarine.

“Stokes won’t play in the first one and Jamar is unlikely to play in the first one, but other than that they’re (the top-ups) are all available,” Worsfold said.

“(Leuenberger) is ramping up his running program today. He won’t play in the first NAB Challenge game as we progress him along.”

Former Brisbane Lion Sam Michael, who is hoping to win a spot as the club’s ninth top-up player, displayed his size (199cm) and athleticism in the ruck in a battle with raw youngster Gach Nyuon.

Any news on Edwards? did he do well?

It hasn't appeared so to date in this pre-season (purely based on photos) but are we seeing "probables" versus "maybe" teams starting to be formed?

Starting to form. The Black team seemed to include more of the likelies with about six exceptions. The Blacks had a potential backline. More feedback later DJR!

OHHHH MYYY

WE ARE ON

any word on J Merrett

Attends

Does Eades display a sort of Shredwards style evasiveness? Or is it a bit different eg Leroy like smoothness as opposed to Shreds zip?

Any news on Edwards? did he do well?

His confidence is down to 2014 level. Has been attempting to get ideas from coaches and recruiters as to how to turn it around.

Can anyone say who was in the two sides?

And what role did Brown play? Back or forward?