Training Monday 12/12/16

I have been reading these training posts for years and just today for the first time realised Jackie is actually an older bloke. I always pictured a mid 30s female (no offence intended). Keep up the good work though, i really enjoy reading these.

It’s cause you were picturing Tiff Cherry weren’t you?

Francis and Parish ended up doing some hydrotherapy, while JD was in the rooms getting a knock looked at.

Thanks Jackie. I’ve got a few questions if you get a chance.

Can you tell me a bit more about Stewart. You say he is pushing for that 3rd tall forward / 2nd ruck spot. Is he doing anything in particular that is impressing, or is he just trying hard. What sort of chance do you give him to be selected round 1.

Can I take it from your report that Howlett is training as a forward alongside Raz and Walla? (or am I reading too much into it and have just joined them all together in my head).

Conor is a favourite of mine. Are the players looking for him as the run and distributor out of the backline? I’d love to have him running off halfback as his skills are great, but I felt the players ignored him a bit and so he struggled to get the ball enough. Is there reason for optimism?

How can you tell that Francis was being rested rather than broke down Jackie?

I didn’t say he was being rested I said “he was forced to leave the smaller oval” perhaps he needs to be rested was only a suggestion. The club does not want me to report too specifically on injuries so the above is as far as I want to take it.

I read it as he was too good for the smaller oval. :wink:

Stants and Marty Dea are still in the Hangar putting in some extra yards. Commitment.

I have been reading these training posts for years and just today for the first time realised Jackie is actually an older bloke. I always pictured a mid 30s female (no offence intended). Keep up the good work though, i really enjoy reading these.

Jackie Chan rather than Jackie Kennedy. Tiffany is my feminine side.

Thanks Jackie. I've got a few questions if you get a chance.

Can you tell me a bit more about Stewart. You say he is pushing for that 3rd tall forward / 2nd ruck spot. Is he doing anything in particular that is impressing, or is he just trying hard. What sort of chance do you give him to be selected round 1.

Can I take it from your report that Howlett is training as a forward alongside Raz and Walla? (or am I reading too much into it and have just joined them all together in my head).

Conor is a favourite of mine. Are the players looking for him as the run and distributor out of the backline? I’d love to have him running off halfback as his skills are great, but I felt the players ignored him a bit and so he struggled to get the ball enough. Is there reason for optimism?

Before Joe was injured the whole forward line was revolving around him. Stewart at chf looks like plan b.
I think you must play a second ruck to support Luey and Stewart is tall enough for this. He is not as massive as Bellchambers but moves very fluently for a big man. It’s hard to tell how good he is without seeing him in a game but apparently he was behind some good talls at GWS and lacked opportunity. I’m told that it was Sheeds who pressed for him.

Howlett is rarely in most people’s best 22 but he has played some good games in the past and is very direct out of the midfield and a good mark for his height. He looks the fittest I have seen him playing midfield/forward.

Conor tends to be overlooked a little because of his background but his development has been sensational. He is the second best passer of he ball after Walla for accuracy and towards the end of the season it appeared that he was told to take the game on and run the ball out. If he was to go into the draft I think he would be definitely selected by round 3 and possibly in round two because of his upside which may be a good way to try and measure his improvement.

Thanks Jackie.

Francis and Parish ended up doing some hydrotherapy, while JD was in the rooms getting a knock looked at.

RIP Joe

Howlett is playing for his career this season. It’s do or die. I’d be disappointed if he didn’t look in ripping knick. He needs to hit the ground running and force the club to hand him another contract.

Right-click on the image, select copy image address.

http://i.imgur.com/HZ60QM9l.jpg

Oak Park High School, my old stomping ground but when i was there we had Curly Austin

‘Didn’t get a full pre-season’

I’m this close to pushing the panic button on JD.

Hooker working on his goal kicking inside the Hangar.

JM, clearly the club knows who you are and what you report. Out of curiosity, how did they approach you? What did they ask of you?

Thanks Jackie, it was great to meet you today for the first time after many seasons of reading. Also great to meet knackers, some healthy conversation and views were shared.

Just to add further to what Jackie had informed re my views. Firstly Begley, it was one of the earliest kicking drills where they were kicking in a triangle with 3 players going around in a circle, I was standing right behind him, his first kick was a drill pass as he swung around on the right foot hitting his team mate on the chest at about 40m distance, the next kick was off his left foot and it also was a drill pass over 40+m and just landed at the feet of the team mate, but it was a beautiful low trajectory kick with a lot of pace. The ball came around the third time a he ran onto his left and drilled the left right onto the chest over 40m+. From those few kicks I would of said he was equally capable off both feet. Similar to Mutch who I also saw kicking off both feet, just not with as much power and speed. Will be very interested to see if Begley can squeeze into the team for a few games towards the end of the season. Knackers also thought that he would be his surprise packet of the year out of the newbies.

It should be noted though at the end of the session when goal kicking practice was happening, he missed 3 in a row from ~50m on 45degree angle, not by much though.

Others of note were Laverde in the closely congested handballing drill where you have to progress the ball from one side with your team to the other side (say 30m) in a very congested area. He showed on a few occassions a nice side step, also the ability to get the arms up over the tackler for a clean release. As Jacqui mentioned he ran many 200m runs in the second half of training, but looks very fit and very solid. Knackers sees him ahead of Langford, and on today’s showing I couldn’t argue. Although I am a big fan of Langford.

Agree re the comments on McKenna, ran hard in game simulation and his kicking was a real treat. So many options down back, but not so many with speed and those skills that he already possesses. He may be fighting with McGrath and Morgan for that spot. Morgan looks spritely again following on from others previous comments from training in the last few weeks. McGrath has a very high springy leap that I did notice once when he jumped for an uncontested mark.

I hope to see Francis back and hope its just a minor setback, if at all. I was looking forward to seeing him most of all. Fingers crossed.

Big Leuy stood out a bit for me today, he presented well up forward and took a good couple of marks under close attention. Hopefully his forward game is being honed for some good resting. The question was who would support Luey in the 2nd ruck spot. I believe Jacqui thinks Stewart to have first dibs. I suggested Ambrose for Knackers as I think Ambrose is one of his favourites, a little tongue in cheek. I too want to see a mobile guy like Stewart rather than 2 big ruck men, but let’s see how Stewart comes along. He battled hard today but didn’t really notice him beat an opponent as such, although he was teamed against Hurley for a bit.

Agree re Tippa today, he did a few very nice things in the fwd line, with a couple of intercept marks. Hard choice for me as I loved him coming off the backline as he is the best deliverer in the team. Perhaps a mix of fwd and wing could be a go. Raz also stood with his pace and energy, a couple good marks and a nice snap shot. Those two do look good up there don’t they.

Jackie was right, Hooker monstered them, but what was even better than him clunking them, was his second efforts, if he did have a mark spoilt he would chase and at one point he had Hartley and Gleeson on him, he nearly held the mark, but Hartley did enough to bring the ball to ground, he basically proceeded to dive over Hartley to do the 1% and tap the ball towards Tippa who was standing 10m away, Tippa picked up and snapped well from 35m. It is these second efforts and 1% that will see him do well up forward. I think Tippa and Raz will love playing with him up there.

OK, did I miss anyone else. Oh, Colyer looks fantastic, at one point the ball flew into the forward line and he out sprinted Baggely quite easily to retrieve and setup the goal. He ran 200m runs (nearly sprints) at the end. Will be nice to see him back in the team. Little meaty pocket rocket.

As Jackie mentioned, Joe and Jobe rans many laps. Green did some early running before joining in the main training towards the end. Eades looked energetic, and finished the session well with slotting 3 or 4 goals from the boundary line in a row using drop punts, not the checkside.

Didn’t notice the newbies too much, besides McGraths leap and quick hands. Begley’s kicking, Mutch is a good size already also so it won’t take him too long to be ready, which was a bit of a surprise. Ridley did a nice side step in the early handling drill and there is still talk he has another cm or two in yet. Clarke will need to work on that kicking, but he has plenty of time to get that right. Draper was on the small oval doing whatever they were doing which seemed modified.

It was a gorgeous day, blue skies, slight breeze early which built up during the 2hr15min session to a approx 10-15 knots which effected some of the shots on goal towards the end. Was quite warm by the end also. Most drills and game simulation were taking at fairly high intensity so they would have taken a bit from that.

Nothing beats a flex day off work and getting down to see the boys. Bring on 2017.

Thanks Jacqui, ...

wot?

Nobody who had seen the original Mihocek would ever be thinking feminine.
Built like a brick.

Thanks Jacqui, ...

wot?

Nobody who had seen the original Mihocek would ever be thinking feminine.
Built like a brick.

Apologies Jackie.

Training in hot conditions at Tullamarine.

Benny Boy was also impressed with Laverde’s close in handball although he still has work to do with his kicking missing three set shots in succession from about twenty metres out in the forward pocket. He also points to Begley’s ability to kick with both feet.

Extracting essington.zip and patching directory c:/players/laverde

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
96% complete

Thanks Jacqui, it was great to meet you today for the first time after many seasons of reading. Also great to meet knackers, some healthy conversation and views were shared.

Just to add further to what Jacqui had informed re my views. Firstly Begley, it was one of the earliest kicking drills where they were kicking in a triangle with 3 players going around in a circle, I was standing right behind him, his first kick was a drill pass as he swung around on the right foot hitting his team mate on the chest at about 40m distance, the next kick was off his left foot and it also was a drill pass over 40+m and just landed at the feet of the team mate, but it was a beautiful low trajectory kick with a lot of pace. The ball came around the third time a he ran onto his left and drilled the left right onto the chest over 40m+. From those few kicks I would of said he was equally capable off both feet. Similar to Mutch who I also saw kicking off both feet, just not with as much power and speed. Will be very interested to see if Begley can squeeze into the team for a few games towards the end of the season. Knackers also thought that he would be his surprise packet of the year out of the newbies.

It should be noted though at the end of the session when goal kicking practice was happening, he missed 3 in a row from ~50m on 45degree angle, not by much though.

Others of note were Laverde in the closely congested handballing drill where you have to progress the ball from one side with your team to the other side (say 30m) in a very congested area. He showed on a few occassions a nice side step, also the ability to get the arms up over the tackler for a clean release. As Jacqui mentioned he ran many 200m runs in the second half of training, but looks very fit and very solid. Knackers sees him ahead of Langford, and on today’s showing I couldn’t argue. Although I am a big fan of Langford.

Agree re the comments on McKenna, ran hard in game simulation and his kicking was a real treat. So many options down back, but not so many with speed and those skills that he already possesses. He may be fighting with McGrath and Morgan for that spot. Morgan looks spritely again following on from others previous comments from training in the last few weeks. McGrath has a very high springy leap that I did notice once when he jumped for an uncontested mark.

I hope to see Francis back and hope its just a minor setback, if at all. I was looking forward to seeing him most of all. Fingers crossed.

Big Leuy stood out a bit for me today, he presented well up forward and took a good couple of marks under close attention. Hopefully his forward game is being honed for some good resting. The question was who would support Luey in the 2nd ruck spot. I believe Jacqui thinks Stewart to have first dibs. I suggested Ambrose for Knackers as I think Ambrose is one of his favourites, a little tongue in cheek. I too want to see a mobile guy like Stewart rather than 2 big ruck men, but let’s see how Stewart comes along. He battled hard today but didn’t really notice him beat an opponent as such, although he was teamed against Hurley for a bit.

Agree re Tippa today, he did a few very nice things in the fwd line, with a couple of intercept marks. Hard choice for me as I loved him coming off the backline as he is the best deliverer in the team. Perhaps a mix of fwd and wing could be a go. Raz also stood with his pace and energy, a couple good marks and a nice snap shot. Those two do look good up there don’t they.

Jacqui was right, Hooker monstered them, but what was even better than him clunking them, was his second efforts, if he did have a mark spoilt he would chase and at one point he had Hartley and Gleeson on him, he nearly held the mark, but Hartley did enough to bring the ball to ground, he basically proceeded to dive over Hartley to do the 1% and tap the ball towards Tippa who was standing 10m away, Tippa picked up and snapped well from 35m. It is these second efforts and 1% that will see him do well up forward. I think Tippa and Raz will love playing with him up there.

OK, did I miss anyone else. Oh, Colyer looks fantastic, at one point the ball flew into the forward line and he out sprinted Baggely quite easily to retrieve and setup the goal. He ran 200m runs (nearly sprints) at the end. Will be nice to see him back in the team. Little meaty pocket rocket.

As Jacqui mentioned, Joe and Jobe rans many laps. Green did some early running before joining in the main training towards the end. Eades looked energetic, and finished the session well with slotting 3 or 4 goals from the boundary line in a row using drop punts, not the checkside.

Didn’t notice the newbies too much, besides McGraths leap and quick hands. Begley’s kicking, Mutch is a good size already also so it won’t take him too long to be ready, which was a bit of a surprise. Ridley did a nice side step in the early handling drill and there is still talk he has another cm or two in yet. Clarke will need to work on that kicking, but he has plenty of time to get that right. Draper was on the small oval doing whatever they were doing which seemed modified.

It was a gorgeous day, blue skies, slight breeze early which built up during the 2hr15min session to a approx 10-15 knots which effected some of the shots on goal towards the end. Was quite warm by the end also. Most drills and game simulation were taking at fairly high intensity so they would have taken a bit from that.

Nothing beats a flex day off work and getting down to see the boys. Bring on 2017.

Great detail Benny - you should post more often now that you have broken the ice.