Training Monday 12/12/16

Training in hot conditions at Tullamarine.

Nice to catch up with Knackers and Benny Boy today and they might give their thoughts later. Nice as it was to meet these two it was fantastic to catch up with Ken Fraser in the Sheedy Cafe still looking trim and maintaining his interest in the club. I can remember the famous number 23 when I was a boy marking and kicking the ball before he hit the ground. Noel Allison the former club treasurer was with him. He did a great job in the Sheedy era before we had a $10,000,000 debt. How times change.

Once again the training was very physical today and Francis was forced to leave the smaller oval not to reappear. He has done extra training over the break and was hard at it on the track last Friday so perhaps he needs to rest his body a bit over the Christmas break. Joe remains on the sidelines with Bellchambers, McKernan and Draper but fortunately Luenberger is moving very well and Stewart continues to press his claims as the second ruck/third tall forward.

A lot of interest centres on the new draftees but the reality is they have done little either good or bad to make them stan out although one keen observer was impressed that McGrath could execute a complicated handball drill while looking around. I didn’t see this myself but I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Some players are mainly doing running to build their stamina, among them Green who joined in the main match practice today. Laverde was running repeat 200’s in 35 seconds while Joe ran and ran and ran as did Parish.

It’s not that easy to measure the level of improvement this preseason compared to last but perhaps an interesting measure is that although Walla stands out he is less of a lone hand in this regard than he was in the previous preseason. Benny Boy and I were both impressed with how Hooker is smashing them with his physicality at chf. Fantasia and Howlett were prominent as Howlett pushed for a spot in the first game and it should be noted that Bird’s preseason is a step up from last year.

Benny Boy was also impressed with Laverde’s close in handball although he still has work to do with his kicking missing three set shots in succession from about twenty metres out in the forward pocket. He also points to Begley’s ability to kick with both feet.

Training is very physical now. Hurley laid a monster tackle on Hooker then for good measure gave a prone Howlett at hard push in the back to let him know he is there.

There is debate about Walla back or forward. Today playing on the forward line he took two intercept marks within five minutes as a forward and speared accurate passes. Perhaps,his highlight was when he was trapped on the white line between the point post and the goal post. From this impossible angle he dribbled the ball through for a goal while being heavily tackled. Forward line for mine. If you are looking for run and precise disposal from the backline McKenna continues to impress - his passes rarely go astray or too high.

Much of the time was taken with moving the ball the length of the ground from the backline. Results were variable. Sometimes a near perfect chain of passes at other times the opposite. There is quite a lot of hesitant decision making in the last line which results in slow ball movement or ineffective play switches. This is a major area to work on in my opinion.

How are they going? They had a long, physical session and are looking very good - with the return of the suspended players the improvement from last year is discernible. The mood around the club is great and there is plenty to look forward to.

Awesome, Thanks JM

Thanks for the report.

By the way, you mention the comparison of training this year versus last year without the suspended players. Therefore I assume you’re comparing us now versus February odd this year? Since obviously in December last year we had a full list.

How is Myers going ?

Thanks for the report.

By the way, you mention the comparison of training this year versus last year without the suspended players. Therefore I assume you’re comparing us now versus February odd this year? Since obviously in December last year we had a full list.

Yes.

Thanks Again Jackie. Anything to report on 2017 Brownlow medalist Alex Morgan?

Thanks Again Jackie. Anything to report on 2017 Brownlow medalist Alex Morgan?

Being used out of defence, moving well but as mentioned above wouldn’t be ahead of McKenna who is really impressing and highly regarded internally for his overall skill set- speed, power, skills.

Thanks for the reports guys, So, with Mr Hooker being the best, which defenders are doing the best against him ? ( Apart from Hurls)

Ken Fraser my Geography teacher in 1965

Ken Fraser my Geography teacher in 1965

imgur.com/a/k8PeN

GREAT player and fantastic guy

Thanks for the reports guys, So, with Mr Hooker being the best, which defenders are doing the best against him ? ( Apart from Hurls)

Hooker is pretty much eclipsing whoever he plays on. I maybe wrong but looks as though we are moving into a more area of the ground defence more than specific match ups. Hartley, Brown/Ambrose the main keys with Hurley the third dropping of his man.

Right-click on the image, select copy image address.

Great to hear another training report as we gear up for the festive season. l like the sound of the extra physicality that Hooker brings to the forward line, and l am another who wants Walla hunting goals in the forward line, we need clever players there, and his ability to intercept and then deliver lace out passes, will be telling next season. Many thanks JM, rock on.

How can you tell that Francis was being rested rather than broke down Jackie?

Jackie, I know it’s been said before but your training reports really are great. You cover not just what the players are doing and who’s doing it well or badly, but what the mood is like and who’s showing leadership and dedication. It seems to be shaping as a really exciting pre-season and your reports make it very vivid.

Thank you.

Just as a matter of interest, what’s your view on a) who will be captain, and b) who should be captain?

I didn’t say he was being rested I said “he was forced to leave the smaller oval” perhaps he needs to be rested was only a suggestion. The club does not want me to report too specifically on injuries so the above is as far as I want to take it.

I didn’t say he was being rested I said “he was forced to leave the smaller oval” perhaps he needs to be rested was only a suggestion. The club does not want me to report too specifically on injuries so the above is as far as I want to take it.

My mistake mis-read, thanks again mate…

Jackie, I know it's been said before but your training reports really are great. You cover not just what the players are doing and who's doing it well or badly, but what the mood is like and who's showing leadership and dedication. It seems to be shaping as a really exciting pre-season and your reports make it very vivid.

Thank you.

Just as a matter of interest, what’s your view on a) who will be captain, and b) who should be captain?

If Watson wants to be captain I think that would be ideal. If Watson declines I would make Hooker captain and Heppell vice captain.

RIP

I have been reading these training posts for years and just today for the first time realised Jackie is actually an older bloke. I always pictured a mid 30s female (no offence intended).
Keep up the good work though, i really enjoy reading these.