Training Monday 20/1/14

Those photos oh Chap, fair to say, made me froth.

OK these are my notes after attending a few sessions and match pracitice - in no particular order

- Goddard - trains consistently and professionally - although not at 100%

- Jobe - always has plenty of time - with his fake ball drop and dummy baulk - although you'd think it wasn't that difficult to focus on his hips and not the ball

- zac merrett - could play games this year - has time, knows where to run and runs hard

- winders - a class above - always dangerous and takes the right option 90% of the time

- chapman - is a bull at clearances, rarely ventures past the centre line

- jackson merret - MIA

- daniher - is a constant threat and target - runs up and down the ground - to CHB and back - often though he leads and then double backs and then the kick is directed onto his head! as the tall option this happens to him often

- carlisle - playing mainly deep forward and clunks the occasional marks - has a fair way to go to learn how to play with the forwards around him

- hurley - lose the baseball cap (this happens a few times in the contest anyway). Is still getting used to being in the backline and is outplayed by daniher

- zaca - trains like he plays - does just enough; doesnt get enough of the ball

- gregory - quite good, a twig but gets the ball and disposal is OK

- dalgliesh - composed and rarely makes a mistake

- jetta - in no mans land a bit. has been told to stop giving off and now gets caught in possession or gets rid of the ball under too much pressure

- fletch - different preseason for fletch. he's obviously been put under it by Bomber and is putting in big time (compared to preseasons past)

Ashby - looks good; neat skills, good decisions 

Hocking - gets the ball often but his decision making is dubious - and often does not take the right option

Stanton - does it on the trot

Melksham - impressive: and toned down a bit

Colyer - goes at 100% all time - gotta like this: still making the occasional

disposal 'blue'

Baguley - trains as he plays: dont expect that much but pretty well does everything right

Del Olio - looks good I've got to say. One of the most impressive and leaves Leroy in his wake

Ryder - rarely goes back and spends a fair amount of time working with the forwards - same Paddy but he gives hope because he moves so well!

Heppell - just does it

Hams - still a twig but you have to admire his hunger for the contest/ball. needs to work on his decision making and disposal

O'Brien - on the fringes

Pears - has lost weight and looks more and more like a HBF and not Key position player - 50/50 with his one on one's, needs to demand the ball more

Van Unen - a bit hard to say, not a standout attribute so could be a list clogger

Steinberg - sorry to deflate the optimists - but doesn't read the play well, doesn't get the ball enough but takes the occasional good mark

Hardingham - being groomed for the HF role - has also trimmed down. could be OK but goal kicking still an issue. both on the run and set shots

Browne - doesn't get the ball enough. In fact does he get the ball at all? has the attributes but needs to step it up

Dempsey - does it on the trot as well. can always create space and makes good disposal decisions

Myers - trimmed a bit also - not getting the same opportunity in the clearance work - interesting

Hooker - trains as he plays

Hibberd - fair bit written about him already. looking to step it up again. HB through the centre

There is a definite emphasis on playing through the corridor and bringing the ball inside or switching play. none of this playing down the boundary and then centering for the Bombers!

great write up Bullish.

any observations on KAV, Gleeson  & Fanta

Great stuff again Jackie, 

Went to my first session at the HPC today so thought I'd share a few observations and recounts from the session for those who couldn't be there, probably largely the same as Jackies but I'll stick to the match simulation mostly. First thing I noticed after hearing and reading people questioning the wind out near the airport but today I didn't think it was a hell of a lot different to what we'd usually get at the school end of Windy Hill which can be like kicking into a blizzard sometimes.

The five point kicking warm up drill caught my attention because it seemed so basic, something my under 18 team would do and honestly thought elite sportsman wouldn't do that sort of thing but there they were, there were plenty of scuffed short passes, majority of blokes going through the motions as you'd probably expect but Stanton was very vocal and I thought showed good leadership, as did Heppell - if there's any betting markets open on our next captain load up on that man getting the job. 

Small group of Edwards, Thurlow, Hooker and Rayner were running 200's on Etihad, not sure if it was a rehab group or what because they all seemed to be moving fine. At one stage walked past and Doc Reid asked Cale if he was alright and he replied "100%" before Doc replied "Then why aren't you out there? You too Rayner you weak medical student!"  :lol:

The match simulation drill had three teams, yellow, blue and black, with one team on the sidelines and rotating in every 5 minutes or so. Largely started out on the wings with a clearance situation. Early on NOB looked good, as did Bag's who took a good strong defensive mark over the top of Zach Merrett, poor delivery into the forward line though it must be said but Baguely was my pick for the under 10's Friday night canteen award for the best trainer today, was very good. Hardingham up forward led well, just missed a shot on goal to the right hand side. Was hardly fluent early on, at one stage Pears had it in the back pocket, Jobe called for him to go inside before Tayte had a slight McPhee 'prop, stop, almost fall over and use the wrong option' moment, resulting in plenty of "farking hell use the inside" before Jobe went for a chat and said "that's the one we've gotta go inboard with."

Noticed majority of our kick outs used a huddle, not sure if I haven't been paying much attention but don't remember us using an out and out huddle to free up options previously? Probably wrong. Defensive kick ins was a slight weakness today, most blokes who took one farked one up and Pear's unleashed at one point on the players up the ground for not making enough options. Overall the kicking was quite scrappy but understandable for early January, there was one play where Hurls took off through the centre from half back, scrubbed a kick to Colyer who in reply scrubbed one straight back. Looked like lots of the boys were rushing their kicks but hopefully that composure will increase.

For all the Jetta watchers he was typically smooth for moments, and awkward at others. One occasion tried to dance around 5 defenders 45 out from goal before getting hammered, before a chorus of "fark me jett just get rid of the thing" and similar comments. Redeemed himself on the very next play chopping off a ball at CHF and running into an open goal.

Dempsey was definitely out there in number 42 for the early bit of the drill but then disappeared, before Dustin switched teams and I heard him say "I'm just on for Demps" so not sure if there's an injury or what, fingers crossed it's nothing.

Oh and it took me 25 minutes but I remembered who the invisible man Van Unen was.

Dempsey went off with "tight" muscles, particularly one leg - overheard doc Reid saying this. Also Aylet has sore left shoulder, so consequently the reason for him only appearing to be running laps today.

..my mistake, Raynor running laps, not aylett.

Can I pose the Question:

Who would you rather as coach Bomber or Hirdy?

I would rather Bomber, best coach in the game.

If he does enjoy coaching again and went to another club it would ■■■■■■ kill me.

Can I pose the Question:

If he does enjoy coaching again and went to another club it would ■■■■■■ kill me.

Agreed. I would rather Bomber coach for 2015 and 2016 (if he wanted too) and have Hirdy as his assistant.

Remember, Hird was almost "The Reluctant Coach". He came back because of how bad we had become under Knights and it was killing him inside. Remember him after the WCE game saying as much?

I think his plan was to come back for 2-3 years and get the club restored again off-field and unite the club and the supporters (along with Evans) and they did that. Amazingly, it came to its peak in 2013 for all the wrong reasons. I doubt very much he was going to be a career coach, just wanted to get the club back on its feet and make it feel like Essendon again and not Essington.

Can I pose the Question:

Agreed. I would rather Bomber coach for 2015 and 2016 (if he wanted too) and have Hirdy as his assistant.

Remember, Hird was almost "The Reluctant Coach". He came back because of how bad we had become under Knights and it was killing him inside. Remember him after the WCE game saying as much?

I think his plan was to come back for 2-3 years and get the club restored again off-field and unite the club and the supporters (along with Evans) and they did that. Amazingly, it came to its peak in 2013 for all the wrong reasons. I doubt very much he was going to be a career coach, just wanted to get the club back on its feet and make it feel like Essendon again and not Essington.

Might have been his plan, but he did say a number of times something along the lines of "why would he give up the best job in the world, a job that he loves."   So maybe he changed his mind along the way.

Hird the new ruck coach?

Stanton gonna win the Brownlow in 2014.

Thanks for the updates guys. It really helps through the January work grind.

Great reading and great photos.

Im looking forward to seeing some of CJ's photos in the Hot Chick Thread when he gets back from holiday too. :P

Can I pose the Question:

Might have been his plan, but he did say a number of times something along the lines of "why would he give up the best job in the world, a job that he loves."   So maybe he changed his mind along the way.

It's easy to downplay Hird's ability as a coach when you compare him to Bomber but Hirdy was a great coach in his own right and did a lot of good to get this team to where it is today. 

I hope people remember that.

last few from me.  only took the small lens so somewhat limited to players who came fairly close to where i stood.

last few from me.  only took the small lens so somewhat limited to players who came fairly close to where i stood.

Everyone's a bit rusty in pre-season. I'm sure your lens-bringing game will come together when the real stuff starts in round one.

e5p843.jpg

Can I pose the Question:

Might have been his plan, but he did say a number of times something along the lines of "why would he give up the best job in the world, a job that he loves." So maybe he changed his mind along the way.
It's easy to downplay Hird's ability as a coach when you compare him to Bomber but Hirdy was a great coach in his own right and did a lot of good to get this team to where it is today.
I hope people remember that.

Well said
A couple of feel good stories with Bomber and people are already dropping off Hirdy, farkn short memories.

Looks like a fair number of people turn up!

For those with good eyesight you may observe JM and Saladin standing at the fence - near top left of photo!

All must remain a blurr for security purposes!! :P