Training Monday 25/1/16

IMO the last few matches of 2015 and training this year tell me the young fast players we must have in the side from game 1 are: Fanta, Eades, Merret (x2) , Gleeson , Edwards and of course Parish.
I think ( hope) we are going to see Jackson Merret consolidate his position in the side. I have a feeling he will have a break out year.

IMO the last few matches of 2015 and training this year tell me the young fast players we must have in the side from game 1 are: Fanta, Eades, Merret (x2) , Gleeson , Edwards and of course Parish. I think ( hope) we are going to see Jackson Merret consolidate his position in the side. I have a feeling he will have a break out year.

Jerrett has always looked more suited to wing/midfield to me rather than the forward line. He’ll get that chance this year hopefully

How has Raz been going? A couple of mates were over there and went out to one of the training sessions and said he was tearing up the track and his ball handling was first rate. Those boys are Norwood fans so pretty biased, wanted to get a neutral opinion on how he is going

I have to admit that I had a little chuckle at the thought of asking for a neutral opinion from Blitz. Am I right thinking that’s an oxymoron?

Edwards Langford Laverde Eades Daniher Mckenna

Wouldn’t mind that 6 given a go.

Langford is earmarked, and being trained, as an inside mid, who will spend a bit of time forward. He will never be a permanent forward.

I'm confused. To which Langford might you be referring?
rmarked, and being trained, as an inside mid, who will spend a bit of time forward. He will never be a permanent forward.
THE Langford!
I agree with Gach attack. Something radical needs to be tried in terms of selection and game plan.

I would suggest we need to try the fastest possible team and adopt a handball based game plan. Somewhat like a rugby union approach, with a wide spread of players in a line across the field.
The good thing about footy is there is no offside, and we can handball forward as well as backward.

Eliminate kicking long to competitive situations as much as possible .

This means 2 tall defenders because the opposition will kick to talls after a turnover, one tall forward / chop out ruckman and primary ruckman, and the rest of the players having the speed to break free and find space.

Its worth a try. Or we can just use the same basic Hawthorn game plan everybody else uses or tinkers with to adapt to their own player mix.

Hmm…
Wasnt eliminating long kicks to contests the problem last year.
We went backward and sideward, trying to avoid contests so much we resembled a water polo team.
The result was our forward line looking completely inept because half the opposition was waiting in our 50 before the ball arrived…
Once we started taking the game on with run and long kicks we were better to watch and harder to play against imo.

That was never an actual change of the game plan. Hird said on a few occasions that the boys were not playing to instructions and even Bomber trotted out a similar line about unlocking the players attitude but not having the answers. Many here questioned who these players were and why they weren’t just dropped.

The were supposed to take the game on and move the ball quickly and more specifically take the best option first time short or long.

This relied on players actually moving to create space but the boys went into their shells and played safe. The amount of times we got the ball, looked up and nothing was happening, blokes just standing there calling for it flat footed was atrocious. They hesitated, lost trust in each other and got smashed on the outside waiting or kicked it to the loose man.

As someone else mentioned earlier it wasn’t about avoiding contests but actually going to a 50/50 if that was best and actually giving them a chance or some slight advantage either by getting it in quick or putting it into space on the right side for them.

< nothing but net there >

It was either that, or:

I just can't stick my neck out on this one… I seriously have no idea.
rmarked, and being trained, as an inside mid, who will spend a bit of time forward. He will never be a permanent forward.
THE Langford!

Indeed.
Apologies for my tardiness there Humbert.

THE Langford!

Indeed.
Apologies for my tardiness there Humbert.

It’s hard to be the straight man when the wise guy isn’t on his game.