Training Monday 25/1/16

Is McKernan looking like our number 1 ruck because of Looney being out?
Maybe that’s what is forcing Brown forward.

I’m not confident playing Ambrose forward. He isn’t damaging enough. He was playing in the backline so maybe they think he could work well with Gwilt and Hartley.

Is McKernan looking like our number 1 ruck because of Looney being out? Maybe that's what is forcing Brown forward.

I’m not confident playing Ambrose forward. He isn’t damaging enough. He was playing in the backline so maybe they think he could work well with Gwilt and Hartley.

That and Brown being the VFL Team of the Year CHF might have something to do with it.
I’d rather see him there the McKernan personally.

Edwards Langford Laverde
Eades Daniher Mckenna

Wouldn’t mind that 6 given a go.

Edwards Langford Laverde Eades Daniher Mckenna

Langford is earmarked, and being trained, as an inside mid, who will spend a bit of time forward. He will never be a permanent forward.

Edwards Laverde Jerrett
Eades Daniher Wulla

A Black & Red (head) fwd line?? Like.

(Is Jerrett a ranga?? If not Conor’s the boy.)

Edwards Laverde Jerrett Eades Daniher Wulla

I’d put Jerrett on a wing and bring in Conor

Sadly I put Jerrett in there for the experience

Edwards Laverde Brown Jerrett Eades Daniher Wulla

I like that better

That is why I like the maturity and strength of Brown there, rotate Conor off the bench maybe, and Jerrett, Zerrett, Zacka could rotate out of the midfield into the forward line. McKernan could be good too if we can keep another ruckman on the park.

Like this. And get Rivers, stick him down back with Gwilt, Browne, Bags, Kelly and whoever else knows how to defend. Otherwise it’s not getting up to those exciting young men too often.

I agree with Gach attack. Something radical needs to be tried in terms of selection and game plan.

I would suggest we need to try the fastest possible team and adopt a handball based game plan. Somewhat like a rugby union approach, with a wide spread of players in a line across the field.
The good thing about footy is there is no offside, and we can handball forward as well as backward.

Eliminate kicking long to competitive situations as much as possible .

This means 2 tall defenders because the opposition will kick to talls after a turnover, one tall forward / chop out ruckman and primary ruckman, and the rest of the players having the speed to break free and find space.

Its worth a try. Or we can just use the same basic Hawthorn game plan everybody else uses or tinkers with to adapt to their own player mix.

So brown will be played forward?

Imagine franklin and tippett lining up against Hartley and gwilt. Yikes. We’d be one injury away from a 200 point loss

Franklin has to get on the park first… I doubt we will see much of him this year

Langford is earmarked, and being trained, as an inside mid, who will spend a bit of time forward. He will never be a permanent forward.

Never say never.

But I think Brown/Daniher combo will be first choice this year. we really need another good KP top up player though

I think he is a natural forward, but could be a very good mid as well. we definitely need inside mids this year, he should be given every opportunity there.

He is in McKenna’s plans as an inside mid. That is his future.
He will be a ripper.
And the ability to rest forward and be effective is a nice string to have to the bow.

Never say never.

But I think Brown/Daniher combo will be first choice this year. we really need another good KP top up player though

I think he is a natural forward, but could be a very good mid as well. we definitely need inside mids this year, he should be given every opportunity there.

I agree with Gach attack. Something radical needs to be tried in terms of selection and game plan.

I would suggest we need to try the fastest possible team and adopt a handball based game plan. Somewhat like a rugby union approach, with a wide spread of players in a line across the field.
The good thing about footy is there is no offside, and we can handball forward as well as backward.

This means 2 tall defenders because the opposition will kick to talls after a turnover, one tall forward / chop out ruckman and primary ruckman, and the rest of the players having the speed to break free and find space.

Its worth a try. Or we can just use the same basic Hawthorn game plan everybody else uses or tinkers with to adapt to their own player mix.

Hmm…
Wasnt eliminating long kicks to contests the problem last year.
We went backward and sideward, trying to avoid contests so much we resembled a water polo team.
The result was our forward line looking completely inept because half the opposition was waiting in our 50 before the ball arrived…
Once we started taking the game on with run and long kicks we were better to watch and harder to play against imo.

Never say never.

He is in McKenna’s plans as an inside mid. That is his future.
He will be a ripper.
And the ability to rest forward and be effective is a nice string to have to the bow.

Fark yes. Best news I’ve heard all month.

Hmm…
Wasnt eliminating long kicks to contests the problem last year.
We went backward and sideward, trying to avoid contests so much we resembled a water polo team.
The result was our forward line looking completely inept because half the opposition was waiting in our 50 before the ball arrived…
Once we started taking the game on with run and long kicks we were better to watch and harder to play against imo.

Most inside 50s last year were long and high bombs that gave Daniher no chance.

Just to be clear, there’s a difference between a long & high bomb that comes in quickly when its still 50/50, versus one that comes in after the forward 50 is clogged up. Context matters on this one. Some of Myer’s long kicks out of clearances in 2013 were brilliant in that sense.

How has Raz been going?
A couple of mates were over there and went out to one of the training sessions and said he was tearing up the track and his ball handling was first rate. Those boys are Norwood fans so pretty biased, wanted to get a neutral opinion on how he is going