Training Monday 27/6/16

So, not wanting to open yet another forward/back can of worms, just interested, did St Francis train down back or with the forwards ?

I’m sure he would have trained with the forwards at some point. Not sure if it was as a defender though. Hope this helps :stuck_out_tongue:

So, not wanting to open yet another forward/back can of worms, just interested, did St Francis train down back or with the forwards ?

I’m sure he would have trained with the forwards at some point. Not sure if it was as a defender though. Hope this helps :stuck_out_tongue:

I supposew you get what I mean, although I did not phrase it well. Did he train as a forward or as a defender ?

I supposew you get what I mean, although I did not phrase it well. Did he train as a forward or as a defender ?

You phrased it fine. I’m being me.

It was your demeanour Dustin..

‘Demeanour…? I don’t even know what that word means!’

De meaner, da better!

It’s a wonder Fletch didn’t also trip that ump over with his ‘mind powers’

McKenna and Hudson were the two best goal kickers going around when I was a kid and they were deadly accurate. Both moved slowly into goal, stooped over the ball and stayed low to minimise the distance of the ball drop. Watch Walla in full flight, I know he’s a much shorter guy than Joey, but he almost places the ball on his foot. There’s no doubt you lose about 10 metres in distance from a lower ball drop however. I’d love to see Joey work on a much lower ball drop from inside 50 but keep his current style from 50 and beyond.

Thanks Jackie and Karma - your training reports are a fixture here at BB and the place isn’t the same when you’re not posting them.

It was your demeanour Dustin..

‘Demeanour…? I YOU don’t even know what that word means!’

was the way it goes IIRC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKF4wPULpDY

The look on Hurley’s face is priceless.

Usually the same look I have on my face when the umpires make a decision.

The Francis one is easy.

Forward and Back.

The Francis one is easy.

Forward and Back.

You forgot Francis with bonus tank addition. Forward, back and mid. Busting packs, plowing through centre contests, clunking and burning away for shots at goal.

Matty Egan has thrown Aaron forward in 2 VFL matches, both times when the team was behind on the scoreboard. Matty experiments a lot with the players in the VFL and is like Sheeds in the way he will make key changes during matches.

But I think the signal about what the coaching group are thinking will come when Francis starts training with the forward group. Its pretty clear that so far he has mostly trained with Harves in the defence group, but KB and Jackie are probably best able to answer that.

He mainly trained as a defender today but after the Werribee and GWS games you might think that Francis could be the answer to full forward with his strength, marking and good kicking and it is significant that he was given 10 which is Coleman’s old number. Fantasia could be the answer to our small forward problem. You will notice in today’s report that I commented on his compactness and his ability to kick quickly off one step which would be assets for a small forward and of course he has pace as well.

While the Fletcher story garnered many comments I would be interested to know what people think about Whoosa’s early season statement that our second half performance would be better than our first as the players spent more time together.

He mainly trained as a defender today but after the Werribee and GWS games you might think that Francis could be the answer to full forward with his strength, marking and good kicking and it is significant that he was given 10 which is Coleman's old number. Fantasia could be the answer to our small forward problem. You will notice in today's report that I commented on his compactness and his ability to kick quickly off one step which would be assets for a small forward and of course he has pace as well.

While the Fletcher story garnered many comments I would be interested to know what people think about Whoosa’s early season statement that our second half performance would be better than our first as the players spent more time together.

Woosha’s assessment certainly makes sense from the following perspectives:

• players playing together and getting to know each other
  • players getting to know the game plan better
  • players - especially the top ups - being more match conditioned to play out a full AFL game.
  • the coaches getting to know who really is best 22.

I’m not convinced yet we will win more than the Brisbane game however for the following reasons:

• our skill level has showed no sign of improving as the year has gone on. I was at both the North & GWS games and we would have won both if our kicking skill, especially at goal, was anything like reasonable. We are the worst skilled team, by foot, in the competition (not having seen Brisbane);
  • injuries: since 2000 I don’t think a year has gone past when we haven’t fallen away in the last half of a season due to a mounting injury list. If we can have a (near) full list heading to circa Round 20 then the coaches & medical/fitness staff have achieved a 21st century first for our football club. I’ll believe it only when I see it;
  • the coaches’ desire to continue to experiment with the team, rather than pick “best 22”, to decide to see who stays on the list and who gets dropped off. The added twist here is what the 6 suspended but not-yet-confirmed-for-2017 players decide to do.
He mainly trained as a defender today but after the Werribee and GWS games you might think that Francis could be the answer to full forward with his strength, marking and good kicking and it is significant that he was given 10 which is Coleman's old number. Fantasia could be the answer to our small forward problem. You will notice in today's report that I commented on his compactness and his ability to kick quickly off one step which would be assets for a small forward and of course he has pace as well.

Hard to measure as players took some time to adjust to new positions. Raz, is a classic case in point.

The midfield is another case and I believe this unit has turned the corner. They have trained for 3 months and played together for 13 rounds. There are signs that Leui and the mids have “gelled” and now are in synch. Many of our problems stem from patchy performance of the midfield over the first 12 rounds, but signs have emerged in successive games against top 4 sides, that our mids can win or split the clearances and contested ball.

For rounds 14-23 I expect the midfield to sustain the good performance and the whole team will lift as a result.

It’s a “der” statement, but there are so many other things that overlap it that you may not be able to tell what happens: where is morale after one win for the year, will the senior citizens or the kids tire, which (non) tanking clubs do we meet on the run home?

You’re saying there are known unknowns and unknown unknowns?

EDIT: It just occurred to me that the three dumbest Americans of all time are all called Donald. The third one being a duck.

I’d be VERY impressed if our second half of the year is better than the first.

To get a team motivated after receiving some hidings knowing the season is coming to an end would be impressive motivation.

I'd be VERY impressed if our second half of the year is better than the first.

To get a team motivated after receiving some hidings knowing the season is coming to an end would be impressive motivation.

Think it will probably track the same, a couple of blowouts, some impressive quarters and competitive games…maybe even a win or two.

Probably the first time I am actually more keen to see how the VFL side goes.

I’m really really enthusiastic about the forthcoming game against St Kilda. They’re young and good; I want to see if we can make a go of this one. I’ll be there. I don’t get the feeling that we are throwing in the towel at all.

You're saying there are known unknowns and unknown unknowns?

EDIT: It just occurred to me that the three dumbest Americans of all time are all called Donald. The third one being a duck.

Bwahahahaha! That’s gold. Needs to be in politics thread as well

Thanks Jackie and Karma. Great report.