Training on Black (and Red) Friday - 2019-12-13

I think you missed the part about consistent. I agree with KM. Langford, Gleeson or guelfi wouldn’t get a game in top 8 sides and the other guys you mentioned have yet to prove their consistency at a high level. I agree on redman, he’s consistent. Mcgrath is very good too, and we hope parish becomes what we want but hes yet to still be consistently good. I wouldn’t be pinning any hopes on Joe or raz, the two most injury prone guys at the club. It’s a huge bonus of either of them play regular footy, but I highly doubt that’s ever gonna happen

We’ve got a lot of guys who are very good, on their day. But rarely string it all together consistently

1 Like

Good one .
Yes, Mozzie does stand out as an exception. Walla too.

1 Like

Do you honestly believe that Parish or McGrath are anywhere near their peak yet? Or Francis?

They are solid players but need to take another step and also maintain that level. They are far from proven.

I didn’t include Joe or Fantasia due to the question marks over their futures as well as injury.

Common sense thinking and approach.

Finals aren’t played in January…March 21 is still a fair bit away.

Hooker and Zaka end of January should be right to go with the main group. Being senior players they will prepare their bodies right in time to be available rd 1.

Heppell will be right for the JLT, as will Merrett, Fantasia and Gleeson.

Only major concerns are Daniher and Stewart of the senior players really not knowing when or if they’ll be back before the halfway mark of the season proper.

We are equal third for players 22-26 so experience in that age group wasn’t necessarily a concern. It’s the quality that’s the problem.

1 Like

One day that will change but I doubt next year as I see it as a gap year but 2021 I really see us improving and finishing higher than 7th

With Brisbane being the exception

Most clubs with 9 players or less in age of 27+ weren’t up there.

This includes us, that’s were your talent lacks not the up to 25’s who are still developing and will take another 1-2 years of experience to show their full talent.

1 Like

Yes I’d assume they are near peak. After three preseasons you see the near peak of most midfielders, you will get marginal gains from that point forward. It seems to be about five years for talls.

Injury interruptions to Joe and Raz mean we haven’t seen it but 2017 is a good rough guide to performance

We may see a bit of a jump for Parish with more game time and for McGrath with another year’s midfield experiende

1 Like

2021? All I see in 2021 is a significant lack of key position strength.

1 Like

In a year or two Hurley, Hooker, Heppell, Zaca, Smack, Phillips and Ambrose will be 29 or higher. Sheil and Walla will be 28-29 also. That’s a significant part of our list and also important players past their prime.

You can paint your argument any way you like but Richmond have a younger list than ours and in the past 3 years they have won two flags.

A lot has to go right for us to challenge for premierships.

1 Like

I hope they aren’t near their peak because if they are they are just solid footballers.

We need elite players to elevate us.

Round one is make or break for me

If we can’t beat Freo at home round one we may as well start playing for draft picks

No amount of happy clapping will change losing round one at home

I would say that applies to most clubs including Richmond.

They started ramping up once injured senior players came back into their side.

They have been magnificent both coaching and playing group. I’m banking on Cara and Rutten for 2021 to turn us around.

Amazing what good coaching panels including fitness can achieve and bring the best out in players even ones getting older

Club failed here badly as we all know but this year is turning point with 2021 heading up imo

1 Like

It’s got nothing to do with pre-season. I’ve been extremely worried about the future of this club for over 6 months now.

There are massive concerns that I have… and I don’t think an assistant coach is going to solve them all.

1 Like

Yea, fair enough. I don’t share your enthusiasm as I still have concerns over us actually putting runs on the board but I desperately want to be proven wrong.

A lot of our gains will come in the form of development and tactics so a lot is riding on Rutten and Cara.

Not just assistance, but fitness, new head coach effectively next year as I believe Woosha will be more on the bench like this season with Rutten working the box

Dan Jordan I highly rate and good move

Yes and they have both worked and delivered with the best teams so have faith they know what to do

Those tactical moves in games starting mostly midway onwards were Rutten not Woosha he Ambrose on Fyfe

1 Like

Firstly by senior players, I didn’t mean best 22 players, I meant our most experienced players. 100+ gamers.
Secondly, being named to play and being prepared are two very very different things. JLT is not meaningless, nor is pre-season, it is preparation for the real thing. We haven’t been prepared for the first month of footy for a few years, and this year will be no better.

You didn’t say if they were near their peak…you stated are they consistent and proven.

I would argue they are consistent and Proven. Ie they should play every week in the 22, have established themselves and proven at AFL level.

Are they at their peak…no, I still believe their is lots of potential there.

If you said there are only 3 players who are stars of the competition in their position, then I agree with you on Saad, Merrett and Mckenna, but would also add - Fantasia, Daniher and stringer but acknowledge they are not always consistent, but thats forwards for you, gotta rely on the mids to bring the ball up and deliver etc.

1 Like

We are ranked like the 7th oldest list in the comp but ranked like 6th most in experienced too

1 Like