Training report - 2019-01-23 Wednesday

His junior track and field athlete accomplishments speak for themselves. The kid’s a winner.

From wiki: winning the Australian national under-14 high jump competition in 2011, Victorian state heptathlon and national 200m hurdles events at under-15 level in 2012, and under-17 400m hurdles in 2014

6 Likes

Based on McGrath’s size hard to pick a modern day player that he might compare to if ends up a top notch mid.

Zorko is short and has that elite ability to just zip in and out of traffic so well. Perhaps Daniel Kerr of yesteryear.

Very excited to see McGrath do his thing this year, and we have Shiel as well whose got wheels. Plus the Raz & TIPPA cameos.

How many years have we been cut up by opposition mids because we had too many slow players in there! Not any more. Payback time.

10 Likes

I knew RRamjet with his supplement issues was a poor choice but that chin!

2 Likes

That is still a big modified group.
What about TBC Fantasia, and Gleeson? Did they train with the main group or not at all?
Also no Smith or Saad, as well as Merrett, naturally.
Guys like Smith and Saad have missed a fair few sessions without explanation. If Smith is just easing into it to nurse his knee, then he is starting very late!
In total 15 players not training atm (less any of TBC, Fanta and Gleeson who might have trained with the group).

Where can U buy those?

All but Redman were running and kicking, so there’s that.
TBC was running on main oval at the start, then packed it in.
Fanta trained with the main group.
Did not sight Gleeson.

1 Like

Good report deck ham, thank you

I actually wonder when daniher and McKenna will leave the modified group. Seems like never

Is it really? We’ve got no comparison to how other teams are with their squads.

I don’t see it as concerning as all of them are seemingly not far off returning to main training.

And various players are also in and out of modified group just in terms of management through preseason.

2 Likes

I noted that a grid has been painted on the grounds – 6mx4m, around 8m out from goals. They call this area ‘ the cage ’, and it is called out as a positional location when in match sim.

@Deckham Let us know more about how this drill plays out and whether it used during the next couple of weeks.

1 Like

It has been used for a few weeks. I’m not sure if it has just been painted on, or I just didn’t notice it previously. But I do know that there are leads into ‘the cage’ and calls for ‘cage! cage! cage!’ during match sim.

3 Likes

Sweet. Do players call out ‘the cage’ during opposition kick outs and forward leads.

Well we know where the opposition’s loose man will be hanging out. 8m out from goal sounds close, lots of sideways and back with the flight leading I presume.

The firts qrt againts Port in the last rnd is the type of pressure i want to see weekly. from memory the majoirty of the qrt was played in Essendons half Port only got it inside 50 maybe 2-3 times.

6 Likes

Forwards call out ‘cage’ when leading to the cage area.

2 Likes

Awesome report @deckham, much appreciated.

1 Like

Is 6m the width or depth of The Cage?

Hurley just posted on Instagram. This was the big injury?

6 Likes

10 Likes

Ahh, ■■■■. That’s at least 12 months, if not 24.

RIP Hurls.

/s

Hawks had the ‘Clarko Cluster’
Eagles have “The web”

Essendon “The Cage”

2 Likes