Training Report - Monday 23rd January

Baby Chino?
That’s right I still forget how friggin cold Melbourne gets.

Byo?

I think Cox starts behind the 8 ball, barely any pre x-mass training and now injured again.

Starts in VFL and works his way in

1 Like

I’ll go the early call and say “back”.
In fact, if Zach Reid can overcome his early career injuries and develop durability, I’d say there’s every possibility that both Hayes and Reid will become the defence spine of the Bombers within 3 years.:crossed_fingers:t3:

7 Likes

I have been very impressed from what I’ve seen from Hayes and a lot of other track watches have felt the same way.

He is already ahead/better than what Eyre and Brand showed.

The only thing he lacks is strength, but if Zerk or Lav go down early, I’d say he is next in line at this stage to come in. (Noting Cox, Reid and Stewart are injured)

9 Likes

Hard to tell on today’s viewing - he was on the offensive side and once the goal was scored / ball turned over, they stopped the drill and started again.

I certainly take your point though - the best hard runners go both ways, so we want that to be happening in match sim scenarios for sure.

1 Like

Can’t believe Stringer didn’t go off tap when Langers used the rubber bands to hold him back.

Surprised they haven’t announced a stress fracture, knee and or ankle injury for Harley Reid yet. “#We are cursed”

3 Likes

I’d say they have more to prove etc so they give 110% in training and match sim.

As the senior players from all clubs say, they don’t go in as hard for scratch matches etc.

1 Like

Any real signs of a game plan starting to take shape yet/

I’ve got $20 at 501 on Martin for the Brownlow. Every time I read a training report I feel like I should be upping my bet.

14 Likes

So I’ve seen the back 6 reported.

Who were the forwards that they were lining up on?

1 Like

Hard to identify the exact game plan but the following has been evident:

• More kicking forward than handball
  • More wing play than through the centre
  • Minimal handballs backwards
  • Faster ball movement rather than holding and spotting up players (opposite to pre-season last year)
  • Slow plays where there is a free kick say 70m out, its a long kick to the top of the square
  • Faster plays where the ball is taken from end to end the kicks inside 50 are to spot up leads
29 Likes

I’ve advocated for Redman getting a blended midfield / wing / defence role largely because our defence is too medium heavy and a rebalance feels inevitable. Laverde could just as easily get that development. Reid and Hayes are likely part of our back 6 in 2 years time. Massimo should be pushing into the back 7 this year.

If we don’t use our medium defenders in more varied roles, some will be playing vfl. There’s two options then, give our weakest medium the option to try a different role, or take our strongest medium and give them more opportunities.

It’s less about Redman and more about getting the best value out of our list. If Scott wants to leave Redman back and eventually delist Laverde as excess to requirements, then that’s also a valid path.

6 Likes

Where does McBride fit into things? In his 4th preseason, he should be physically way ahead of Hayes (and Eyre/Brand from last year).

2 Likes

We’re only playing two medium talls in natural roles, Redman and Kelly. Laverde is 193cm, people seem to forget this. He’s either very tall medium or a short tall.

I’ve no idea why anyone would want Laverde to move into a role that would exacerbate his issues. For me, its his current role or VFL. But then, I’d have let him go last year as a free agent.

Good thinking, just did the same. Also had a look at him for the Rising Star but then discovered he was four months too old and played 11 too many games.

2 Likes

McBride can’t intercept the way Hayes can.
McBride would be seen as purely a stopper - more a replacement for a Laverde/Kelly type. IMO

1 Like

Pies fans are probably betting on nick Daicos for Brownlow, apparently killing it this preseason.

Has missed a bit of pre-season, but yes he is stronger but Hayes has the footy smarts.

Big year for Cian if he wants to make it, needs to go up a few levels

2 Likes

Really struggling.

Similar to Bryan. Just far too soft in the marking contest.

On Friday, there was one marking contest in the goal square and he was playing on Wright. Wright went up for a mark, and McBride didn’t even put any body contact on him. It was very soft. Didn’t even make it a contest.

If he is going to make it, it won’t be as a KPP.

3 Likes