Training report - Saturday 23 January 2021

Ridley seems to be moving ok. I do hear he will start training quite soon so hoping its more cautious than something substantial . Same with Perkins.

38 Likes

Hepps did the whole session today. Moving quite well. The drills were very physical and willing towards the end. It was a good tough slog today and the boys were up for it too.

78 Likes

And Stringer

Touch wood but this year’s been a good preseason for injuries.

I remember this time last year we’d hear of a player going doing or limping off every session.

1 Like

Stringer did not train

1 Like

I’ll leave the detailed updates for the experts @CJohns and @nackers but here are a few things I noticed:

• Draper looking fantastic. Strong marking and kicking them through the sticks consistently today
  • Francis’ running in match sim is great, his interval running with the group around the oval… not so great
  • Caldwell will be a great player for us
77 Likes

Is there any injuries or soreness between the
playing group you’ve seen other the last couple of days? thanks.

1 Like

I recall seeing something about Caldwell when at GWS was a tenacious trainer - to the point that he’d really go hard at teammates in the contest and often they’d come off 2nd best.

Any Caldwell related slayings so far? Also what role does it look like they’re grooming him for?

Thanks for the updates fellas :+1:t3:

4 Likes

This was from the GWS website a while back. Ward says he’s “an animal”.

Youngster Jye Caldwell has forced his way into the GIANTS line-up for Sunday’s clash against the Kangaroos.

The second-year midfielder debuted in the snow at UNSW Canberra Oval last season and played two matches before missing out on the finals series.

After an injury-interrupted few years, Caldwell has had his best run of training and match simulation since arriving at the club, forcing coach Leon Cameron to include him for Sunday’s clash at GIANTS Stadium.

“It was a really tough selection this week,” Cameron said.

“Jye’s presented himself in great nick when he’s come back. He’s a tough inside midfielder who really gets after the opposition and tackles hard and wins his own ball.

“That was a really tough one, because there were a number of players in Jackson Hately and Tom Green lining up for that spot.”

Caldwell is included in the side alongside former skipper Callan Ward - who makes his return from an ACL injury suffered in round four last season.

He gets a full endorsement from Ward who said after last week’s intra-club match: “Jye Caldwell’s just an animal.”

17 Likes

What’s encouraging about Caldwell is the synergistic effect he could have on the side, so not just what he does individually but the value he adds to his fellow onballers.

17 Likes

Here’s the interview with Ward, has a lot of positive things to say about Caldwell.

1 Like

7 Likes

I have likes to give team.

Keep those posts coming.

6 Likes

Caldwell 1cm shorter range Ward too so we can hope for the same kind of player.

1 Like

Devon Smith also left the track early with a serious case of “late for a wedding in Geelong-itis”

He mentioned this “ailment” to us while we were watching on the sidelines, saying that he was meant to be there by 10:30am - yet he was still doing his running when he told us at 9:30am.

19 Likes

Hope we can get full team on Park this season. We will have better assessment of the team capability.
Thanks for your time and energy keeping us informed.

1 Like

List of “animals”:

• Caldwell
  • Hird

Please add as further animals are identified

17 Likes

He might have hitched a lift with Bronwyn Bishop in her helicopter.

1 Like

Hind?
Mosquito?

Plus “Ham” used to be an animal.

23 Likes

Did we turn Pig into Ham?

3 Likes