Training report - Saturday 6 Jan 2024

End the season now

6 Likes

Few thoughts from the sessionā€¦

Redman and Laverde ran back of pack in the 2km, but because they were coaching some of the younger players on how to best push out that run. Laverde is looking like a beast.

Luamon was top 5 in the run. Cox was mid pack, which is decent considering his injury interruption.

Draper was in the rehab group, but he finished with high speed runs. The guy looks in awesome shape. Thereā€™s nothing plodding about that ruckman.

Durham is truly impressive. Didnā€™t just win the 2km, he dominated it by about 20-30m.

Kicking was inconsistent. Not going to stress though, thatā€™ll get better quickly.

69 Likes

How did Perkins look?

Lav playing as a 3rd or 4th tall/medium is an interesting proposition I think. He hasnā€™t been allowed to play that role often and instead gets asked to give away a lot of size to opponents but I think heā€™d really impact in the air if freed up a bit.

I actually think heā€™s prepared to be a little less direct opponent conscious than rids.

He canā€™t play on smalls like Kelly can but heā€™s much more capable in the air for mine

9 Likes

so hows he gonna play on the 3rd or 4th tall if our hierarchy has only had bzt replaced by mckay?

Who is this?

4 Likes

Ben McKay in a hat

13 Likes

It was a 90 min light session today so not too much to report. It felt almost like a recovery session type vibe. Draper did some solid running the last 30 mins and may just be ok for round 1. Caddy and Perkins were managed. Cox needs to build up some fitness againā€¦ evident in the 2km trial where he finished around 30thā€¦ which is unlike him. Lual has obviously been working his butt off. Came 5th in 2km trial which was a big improvement.

Jayden Davey came last but it wasnā€™t a bad kind of last. Still ran ok right to the end in the last group. Redman ran with him to get him through. Laverde also was very vocal with last group in making sure no one slacked off. Good leadership by both. Laverde is so big in the arms now. Just a muscle ball.

No sim match practice so not much to report. Some things Duursma does in drills is pretty smooth.

Skills were rusty but i expect that to improve from here on. Feels like ok that is now out of the way vibe.

Nice to see Hunter running well.

More extra skills coaching to Tsatas after the session.

81 Likes

Fair question. They should be playing McKay and Ridley as 1 and 2 imo. Reid or Hayes may come on

Lual in the top 5 is a huge effort

18 Likes

Cheers for the reports! Great to hear that weā€™re getting more numbers back out on the track.

For those there, how did Duursma & Tsatas go in the 2K trial?

1 Like

McKay and Reid as 1 and 2

Ridley interceptor and loose man in defence mopping up.

13 Likes

Both mid pack from memory. Tsatas ran pretty strong i thought.

7 Likes

Tayte Pears.

2 Likes

so what indicates reid will be up to the physical toll of afl football?

I thought lual was more of a sprinter type athlete.
But I guess Mcgrath is fast over short stuff and up the front of the pack too.

Good work lual.

2 Likes

Possibly the highlight of pre season to date is I think (?) Reid hasnā€™t missed a session. Such a good news story and so important for his development that he secures the gains from a higher base of strength / fitness whilst getting the touch and time with teammates training on field. Letā€™s hope this continues :crossed_fingers::pray:

35 Likes

He might ā€¦ get through a preseason.

All this Jayden talk was thinking of LAV.

Good to hear Davey got through the session.

10 Likes

Yeah but I think Reid 's got a bit of work to do to get there. And honestly, I like Ridley with a key assignment, I think itā€™s his best position

3 Likes