Training report - Saturday 6th February 2021

Yep, and to quote his namesake, I liked the cut of his jib.

3 Likes

What i will say about today is that its quite difficult to read. The drills are quite unique in its setup. Often the drill ends just when you think the ball is starting to move forward. So unless you are in the inner sanctum its hard to judge. Its the most i have seen coaching group work on small details in certain situations.

Example: If the ball goes out of bounds on the wing. How will we setup both ways as a team. If we have an extra number or one less… how best can we get a turn over or win the footy.

Another: How can we generate a turn over by team defense. Creating little space for opposition to work in… slow them down

As Humbert said above… if their is a press coming. How can we be composed and move through it as a team.

There was a lot of teaching today and the coaches had their groups in for long chats. The drills were not always at full pace but i think the coaches just want to really get these structures and messages across as constructive as possible to the whole group.

Sometimes didn’t help that the skills were a bit down with sometimes a wind i have to say… but i sense the coaches want to get the players heads right and make sure they fully understand what they need to do… repetition being the answer.

44 Likes

Who looked that best out of Waterman, Baker & Byrne from what you saw?

Actually they were all quite good today. Byrne had some good moments

4 Likes

Waterman looks serviceable and a good size but I thought Burns shaded him. Need to get them into proper match sim.

EDIT: Byrne (assuming you know what you’re talking about CJohns)

3 Likes

Apparently he has a really nice kick. Was that on show today?

the gameplan doesn’t sound inspiring. at all

our ball movement was the worst i have ever seen it last year. disappointing to hear it’s still slow, chip kicks

Yes. I don’t think I could suffer through another season of painfully stagnant ball movement off the backline down the wings leading to an eventual long bomb to a congested forward line. Please no. Why teams rebuilding don’t adopt the Brisbane method of run and attack even at the expense of potentially getting thrashed on the rebound but at least you’re learning how to attack, instead go the ultraconservative Carlton method under Bolton is bizarre to me. The defense at all cost strategy is not a guaranteed recipe for success.

6 Likes

Getting horrible flash backs of the match against St.Kilda in round 2, 2019… when we were incapable of stringing 3 handballs together.

Definitely top 5 worst game I’ve ever been to… (including the West Coast belting in 2009(?) and the Bulldogs game when we conceded 15(?) goals in a row)

5 Likes

thanks!!

3 Likes

What, you mean the type of football we played under Knights that resulted in his getting sacked, and just about every Essendon supporter on the planet disowning him and his style of play?

9 Likes

Just football that plays to the strengths of our list (whatever that maybe) we’ve really lost the ability/intent to attack over the last 2 seasons and I can’t see us going anywhere until we’re capable of kicking a score.

2 Likes

Which of you weirdos/legends paid to name race 4 at Yarra Valley today? :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

FB_IMG_1612584620764

110 Likes

My West Coast acquaintances reckon Waterman is a ready made AFL player who was unlucky to have been cut from their list. Had glandular fever not long after being drafted which knocked him over for 2 years. His brother Jake looks the goods as a long term player for the Eagles. Wouldn’t be surprised if Woosha had him lined up to recruit to the Bombers before he left. He played a lot of footy and won premierships with the old man. What surprised me was said West Coast acquaintances asked me about him before I even realised who he was and that he was training with us.

20 Likes

I really wouldn’t assume that our game plan will necessarily mimic those zonal drills. Give Rutten, Gia and Jordan a bit of credit, they’re not complete idiots.

24 Likes

Enjoyed meeting you today. Really like your report.

2 Likes

Yeah, i think making assumptions about our game plan now is a bit premature. Even still im not expecting our game plan to be aesthetically pleasing, we tried that with run and gun off half back. Looks great, doesnt win games.

Im glad to see that Rutten is teaching a much more structured way to play. Attacking talent doesnt get you far in AFL these days.

2 Likes

What if the strengths of our list do not translate to aesthetically pleasing football? Is it plausible to teach not just attacking but also defensive methodologies at the same time?

1 Like

That’s an interesting report.

It attempts to analyse the coaches and puts an optimistic view of what was happening today as a learning experience rather than a slow chip, chip across the backline then a long kick to a contest down the wing gameplan.

5 Likes

Finally some perspective.

7 Likes