Training report - Thursday 4 March 2021

No idea what happened to him, he just turned up in a moonboot last week

We’ve got a bounty of options as KPP’s for the future. The hope would be that at least a couple of Reid, Brand, Eyre develop into KPP’s alongside Jones, thus allowing the luxury of Cox playing on a wing where his height and athletic attributes would be almost impossible to match up on.

9 Likes

I honestly think we are going to have to wait and see what Cox develops into.

I don’t think I’ve seen a player where the expression “could be anything” is more applicable.

In the meantime, the idea of him getting extremely valuable senior game time playing off a wing or half forward seems very astute. The concept of a 2 meter dude playing in round one in the year after being drafted after having played no footy in his under 18s year is frankly mind boggling.

9 Likes

He did the whole session without problems.

16 Likes

Thanks for the training report. I’m recovering from an illness so not working which means I have time on my hands so these reports are much appreciated. I’d love to get out to the occasional session but can never find out when they’re happening on the club website. How do you guys find out? (Mods, please move this post if this isn’t the appropriate thread for it).

3 Likes

I have a contact that lets me know. They don’t publicise it anywhere, even the journos often don’t know when they’re on.

3 Likes

This triggers me.

how so?

Stewart is a KPP.

IMHO the impression of him as a “tall wingman” are based on his games from 2+ years ago. His bodywork and contested marking have improved immensely in that time, and the fact that he has some speed, and his field kicking is really solid, are great weapons for him as a KP (at either end), rather than evidence he should move into the middle.

4 Likes

How very… un-Essendon-like…

12 Likes

I never thought I was into Cox

I was wrong

2 Likes

AFL 101 states that usually wingmen shake hands at the start of the game and go their own way only to shake hands again at the end…

Essentially no other wingman in the game could out mark him, while his speed, endurance and ground ball ability are typical of normal wingmen, this bloke could tear the opposition a new one and for instance on Saturday night they would have to send someone tall and athletic* to him.

I would just love to see that

Yes but think was the thinking re Tomlinson when he moved there…

I can’t think of him taking too many marks. It’s not a 1v1 marking match up position

ok sure, i don’t disagree with that assessment. I still think we should have used him on the wing two years ago though when his contested marking work was pretty ordinary.

It’s only really been that back end of last year that he finally started to show some strength in the air (perhaps the year before at vfl level i guess).

In terms of his defensive stuff he needs to identify when to spoil and when to mark a bit better.

1 Like

Cox and Langford on the wings gives us the best marking wingmen in the league.

Will give us some good value this year considering our KP marking options in the F50 are quite poor at this point.

2 Likes

Edit - I know you want to.

I’m always curious.

Blitz love Cox

And this is why I like the idea of swapping him with Walla for stints in game.

Guarantee he will be playing on a small forward by round 3.

3 Likes