Training report - Tuesday 23 February 2021

Apparently there are things to do to make your Cox bigger. I’ve seen ads.

1 Like

1 Like

Didn’t he say in his interview that he was an inside mid at junior level?

3 Likes

Thanks mate

1 Like

I am interested in this inside mid Ham and have subscribed to the newsletter.

1 Like

Not sure I see Ham as an inside mid in the long term at all, however I’m all for him getting some exposure there to get better at winning his own ball and working his way through congestion.

1 Like

Playing a little bit more inside is something he is keen on doing.

What’s an attribute you’ve personally noticed which has drastically improved over this pre-season?

“I think last year, I had the speed and the endurance to mix it up on the outside, but now I’m trying to mix it all together. I had a bit of a crack at an inside midfield position at under-18s level and I felt like I was pretty comfortable there, so now I’m trying to bring it over to here. I’ve been able to take part in a couple of drills on the inside and use my strength, which I’ve had to work on a fair bit, but I feel like I’m also at a solid enough level to have a crack in there. Coming into the club at 68kg in my first year and now at about 77kg, I’m still running alright.”

9 Likes

Man imagine if Brayden Ham became the inside mid we have been looking for. What a plot twist.

29 Likes

This confirms what I thought the last time.

He’s adding inside game to his outside to be more rounded.

1 Like

Appreciate the great report Nackers.

Based on how the preseason has progressed how do you think Langers will be used this season?

Does he look to be getting more inside looks or just part of a rotation of players?

1 Like

Who would of thought Ham wants to Pork up so he doesn’t Crack
(le)!

3 Likes

Sorry if this has been covered.

2 Likes

Can see this rule ruining the spectacle this year.

It’s natural for the player manning the mark to drift from side to side and in the heat of the game its instinctive.

22 Likes

Thanks @nackers. Appreciate your effort & report enormously.
If Hooker & Reid were playing forward did Stewart play full back? If yes, how did he go?

100%. Such a stupid rule.

12 Likes

It’s the implementation of it that really concerns me.

I can see it being adjudicated inconsistently from umpire to umpire and from game to game.

It will be frustrating as I’m sure we will get pinged for it regularly and other sides (star players) getting away with it.

8 Likes

I’m more interested to see how they officiate sides who just don’t send someone to the mark. What does the ump do if Langers just runs away there. What if someone else steps up short of the mark but 5m to side to the cover the fat side.

Fwiw I don’t think Langers moves there until parish does but the ump is watching him rather than parish so doesn’t call play on. The Ump needs to take up a position where he can see both players. They won’t though and we’ll see a string of 50s awarded after guys have clearly played on.

Those criticisms aside I can see what they’re trying to do with this rule, keep the 45 degree kick open. Stop the guy on the mark sliding or sagging to defend an overlapping runner. It might open things up a bit and help transition (if sides aren’t set up properly behind the ball) but it’s not going to be some magic congestion bullet

2 Likes

The other bit about the man on the mark is them getting targeted/hit/blocked by an opposition player once the bloke with the ball plays on. I get why they do it but it feels unfair as the person on the mark is pretty much defenceless. I just don’t like that play.

13 Likes

All you have to do is force the ump to come in and place you correctly. Slows down play massively and gives your team mates time.

If the umps refuse to take this bait, they will have to hand out lots of no-warning 50s because the player and the ump didn’t agree on an invisible mark.

It’ll be great!

12 Likes

Good rule it’s always been ridiculous the man on the mark can move so far laterally and act like another member of the zone, cutting off the corridor. Agree though it will be hard to police when the kicker moves off his line.

2 Likes