Training report - Tuesday 23 February 2021

Graduated exercise/ activity is part of concussion treatment.

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. A couple of weeks ago when the AFL made their statement about their new concussion protocol, all they said was that a concussed player was to be “sidelined” for 12 days (and therefore miss at least one match.) I wasn’t able to find a copy of the full protocol, so I didn’t know whether or not training in whatever capacity was allowed whilst being “sidelined.”

Yeah, it says he is the only VFL player who doesn’t have a day job.

Training today went for around 2 hours, it was very well timed in the end as the early morning rain was just clearing up as the players were out warming up in a balmy 11 degrees.

Of the modified group - Clarke Mo22ie, Phillips and Ambrose did little more than the initial handballing drill between themselves.

Zakka and Stringer were both out running for around 30 - 45 minutes, Zakka at about 3/4 pace and Stringer at around half pace. I don’t know if it’s been reported elsewhere but I heard that the club think there’s still a good chance Stringer will be ready for round 1 if there are no further major setbacks.

McGrath did the warmup including various kicking and handballing drills, before reverting to some running then going inside early.

The bad news is that Redman left the field halfway through the session with a right calf concern. Hopefully it’s just precautionary as he didn’t seem to be in too much distress or hampered when walking. He had it strapped and elevated and watched the second half from the balcony. Hopefully it’s a simple as a knock to the back of the leg or something similar, but I think you can rule him out of the practice match on Thursday.

Sheil also finished a little earlier, he was in discussions with the training staff pointing to his right knee.

The rest of the players were broken up into 2 groups, one in red and the other in blue. From the names in the red group I think we can assume all of them will be playing in the practice march on Thursday along with others from the blue group. From the best of memory the red group were:

Draper, Parish, Langford, Merrett, Gleeson, Shiel, Francis, Cox, Ridley, Perkins, Stewart, Wright, Heppell, Jones, Hooker, Redman, Ham, Snelling and Tippa, with Cahill changing to a red jumper when Redman went off.

That left the blue group of:
Smith, Caldwell, Cutler, Laverde, Hind, Bryan, Cahill, Zerk, Reid, Eyre, Guelfi, Johnson, Brand, Mcbride, Hird, Waterman and Dunkley

There was a short practice match between the two sides, with the reds as expected dominating, but probably half the session was spent doing drills in the two groups on opposite ovals then alternating, but also broken up into smaller groups, at one stage being forwards, midfielders and defenders. The only slight surprise in these grouping going on from positions in other training sessions was Hooker and Reid were with the forwards.

Overall it seemed the session was a little bit more upbeat, possibly as we’re heading into our first test against another side. The skills were a little hit and miss particulalry with some of the handballing falling a bit short or at a players feet, but it seems the general speed of play and ball movement has picked up pace, with less slow and lateral movement.

A couple of the players that stood out were Ham who seemed to rack up a lot of possessions, mostly in close and contested situations as opposed to last year where he was more of an outside player. Jones again took several good marks either contested or under strong pressure.

It was great to see ■■■ out again and completing the whole session, he was very good in ruck contests but otherwise a little quieter than he has been.

101 Likes

There might be exceptions, but they generally apply the concussion protocols appropriately.

I went to the front gates to have a look and the sign saying it was restricted space on training days was still there, so I didn’t go any further. I imaging if spectators are let in at the weekend we may be able to enter the ground again soon after that.

2 Likes

Did you misspell cox?

7 Likes

Apparently the filter isn’t a fan of the acronym formed by Big Sammy Draper

10 Likes

Neither am I.

Must be a coincidence.

37 Likes

@nackers, Great report as always. How did Stringer look, I mean his appearance? Before the injury he was definitely trimmed down and looked great; has he maintained that lean look, or has the old spare tyre reappeared? Also, did he seem in good spirits?

I really hope he has a good year this year. When he’s fit and firing, he absolutely controls the contests in the forward line, and to have him in that condition complementing two big marking forwards would be fantastic.

4 Likes

Having watched preseason, what do you think about the long-term plan to develop 2MP’s ruck work?

I’m just trying to imagine future years…say Phillips is gone (we were slow to give him a contract for this year)…Draper will be lead ruck…but what is the hierarchy after Draper?

Bravo sir! Bravo!

1 Like

Bryan would be a forward/ruck option in a couple of years once his body fills out a little more.

2 Likes

Thanks so much :pray::pray:

Both Cox and Ham playing on the same team is exciting. Did they both play wing?

He still looks in pretty good nick and seemed to be happy enough, but he was always over on the far oval so a little harder to make out.

I think they’re just being very conservative with him to try and reduce the possibility of flare up.

9 Likes

2MP has always joined in when they have been doing ruck drills and has done OK.

Bryan has been improving quite a bit over the pres season, it’s now very close as to who would be the second ruck between him and Phillips imho.

But at this stage 2MP would be clearly in front of both of them because of his superior forward work, and will no doubt give Draper the odd rest in the ruck.

20 Likes

Cox was on one wing and I presume Ham was on the other, although he did seem to get a lot of the ball on the inside.

8 Likes

Sidelined means no games.

1 Like

Or maybe they’re just concerned that people who are weighing up buying a membership, might get turned off after watching this match.

1 Like

Only looked 199cm to me.

6 Likes