Training Report - Wednesday 2018-12-19

If Jok is up to it it could be fantastic, make us very difficult to match up on

1 Like

It would make it difficult for the opposition when we are coming out of defence. With the new rules, their marks forward of the wing would transition straight into the forward line.

Check out the goals he kicked in round 23, 1 set shot on the angle, but 2 goals he snapped with great speed and agility for a bloke of 191cm.

1 Like

Yes there has been a lot of variations on this. In some drills they have been just trying to push the other player over without holding and grappling and giving away a ‘free kick’. And there have been a lot of drills where the players had to initiate contact before a one on one or two on two marking contest.

2 Likes

The Jok excitement is interesting. We have done well/very well with rookies in the past, but this kid is being spoken of as a sure bet to make it into the 22. Not saying no, and great if he does. I love these stories coming true (for Essendon players). Are we getting carried away?

4 Likes

I think so. How many players have looked great at training/drills but can’t transition that into a game before? Plenty.

You can have all the athleticism and skills in the world but if lacking in game sense & thus get lost on match day not going to impact strongly.

He’s got elite attributes but having the shiny new toy Jok in best 22’s is fanciful at this stage IMO.

2 Likes

In the VFL - sure.

Jok, the difference is that he is 21, he has played in the ammos and VFL already last year at the age of 20. Its not like he is an 18 year old who is fresh out of VCE. Just take the case of Guelfi. Straight out of WAFL footy at 20yoa into an Essendon preseason, half a dozen games in the VFL and then about 15 games at AFL level. ( Not that I reckon Jok will do that ) In the case of Guelfi, he did play the whole 2017 season at WAFL level in a good team.
Lets see how Jok goes in the VFL in 2019.

Thanks. Nackers. That is a great answer.

By the sounds of it, if it was a weaker Essendon side Jok might have stormed in to the 22.
But as said above there will be plenty of competition for the final midifeld spots.

Its not unheard of to think he will break into the side early.
I mean many people didnt think that Guelfi would play many games being a late pick last year and he surprised.

The best news this preseason is about Laverde. Really seems ready to get down to business.
Maybe that last game last year against Port gave him the confidence that he “can make it”
And he knows what he has to work on this off season.
Reminded me of the lunchtime catchup podcast with Gary o’donnell when he talked about playing/debuting in the last game of the season and it really inspired him to work hard over the next preseason to force his way in.

If I had to go early and pick Most improved 2019, these guys would be my contenders

• Francis
  • Laverde
  • Draper
  • Langford
  • McGrath
  • Parish
  • Jok
  • Ridley

These are all the names we want to hear IMO.

1 Like

He’s a very exciting prospect. His athleticism in the Richmond final really stood out. Tall, super agile, terrific mark, good kick. In the final he was easily pushed off the ball by Draper, but on a wing in 2019, he could dominate.

Meant eventually. Not round one, best 22.

Yes I agree he wouldn’t be in my best 22 anytime soon but it could well happen before the end of the season.

Even though they are just training drills you can still pick up on a lot by watching where and when they run, and Jok gets a lot more involved than someone like Lavender for instance (who admittedly is much less experienced)

There is also an enormous amount of coaching going these days at training, every 5 minutes or so they would break into groups of 5 or 6 and discuss positioning and running patterns. There also seems to be a lot more talk by the players during the drills themselves telling teammates where to go, so he could well pick up on it quickly.

He’s also more than just an athlete like Johnny Rayner, he also has the kicking, handballing and marking skills.

While I also think he will probably take a little time he could also come on much quicker than expected now he is getting intense training and instruction.

7 Likes

Training against better opponents also raises the bar.

2 Likes

Agree, and i’d throw Begley in there. He’s underrated. Shown a lot of football instinct in his short time on the field. I have very high expectations for him.

2 Likes

That’s an outstanding report.
Well done!
Thanks for detail - pumped for next year!!

I don’t think he is best 22 - a fair way from it, given our list. But he will get games in 2019 - maybe towards the back end.

Mozzie wasn’t smiling as much on the bike! :joy:

8 Likes

Heh - no. But he did better than Ham - who was almost in tears.

2 Likes

Ham did look to be going harder/faster on the bike for longer than Mozzie.

1 Like