Training Sat 12th Feb of some year before 2023

That’s actually a great point! It will be great to have more on field leaders to help ensure our structures hold up when the pressure is on.
We haven’t confirmed the leadership group for 2022 yet, have we? Irrespective of whether Snello makes it into the leadership group or not, I think it’s great that he’s got that level of interest/engagement!

6 Likes

He’s underrated on here. Somehow.

5 Likes

by who exactly? ive literally never read anyone dismissing his worth on here for a couple of seasons. unless im missing it

10 Likes

By everyone. IMO.

Comfortably our best, most complete player. And he’s 22? 23?

1 Like

Pretty quiet again. Just doesn’t get involved much.

When they are just mucking around having shots for goal or kicking the footy to one another you can see that in isolation his skills are good but I don’t think he’s ready.

Hopefully he’ll benefit from the whole experience though and use it to drive him.

4 Likes

Thanks

How’s Cox looking physically?

Strange take HAP. He is almost universally praised in every single match day thread. He is an unassuming personality and is a defender (not like hes going to be sinking goals from the 50m line or bursting out of packs much to the glee of training-goers), so maybe he just doesnt get as much attention or love on the forum as a Draper or Perkins.

3 Likes

I guess if somebody thinks Ridley is our best player, and I think Ridley is our 4th best player, I could be accused by that person of underrating Ridley

1 Like

It continues

1 Like

I don’t think he gets dismissed, he’s just unheralded.

But that’s also the case for 99% of backmen in the whole league

I’m sure however I put this will sound rude but yeah he has definitely filled out since the conclusion of last season.

I can imagine the club would have had him on a program that would have involved him eating like a horse and spending a fair bit of time in the weights room.

The good thing with him is that his aerobic capacity was that elite beforehand that even if he puts the necessary size on he’s still going to be an above average athlete.

12 Likes

Cheers

Not saying he’s turned into Ryan O’Connor or anything by the way. But just that he has steadily built on what he was last year.

3 Likes

I’m with you. Many still see him as primarily an interceptor. And nobody talks about how screwed we would be if he got injured. Far more critical than Jones or Parish.

At the start of last year I definitely believed Ridley was our best player.

Merret and Parish were so good and even though they play different positions you can almost throw a blanket over those 3.

Which all concludes with…

Stringer being our best player if he can play within 95% of his 2021 end to the year across a full season. Freak.

1 Like

Just some small notes today:

Lighter session as usual for Saturdays

Once again team defense drills were a big part of the session. Snelling doing almost a player coach role on the sidelines with truck. I fet like he knew the system at great lengths. At one point Peter Wright came over and he was yelling system guidelines. This is the most pleasing aspect for me this pre season. These guys want to be a professional outfit and work together at such a higher level than i have seen personally. No individuals out there.

The one negative came when Shiel roved a ball from the ruck and as he was about to sprint off he just totally pulled up and stopped the drill. He looked frustrated. He then walked off and was looked at on the sideline. Pointed to either his quad or groin. He then went inside and didn’t come back. He walked fine but clearly something was not right. Here’s hoping minor.

The positives were there too. One is there was a lengthy drill of Midfield delivery into the forward line and lowering their eyes… cue Hallelujah chorus

The other positive is Eyre and Jones joining full training. Forward line drills much better with added depth of tall marking forwards.

Hind nailed a goal and one player yelled out"hey didn’t you play forward for the Saints". Hind yelled out “yes but they sacked me” and laughed

I was behind the goals today and a few volunteer staff were short so i think i ended up retrieving about 30 footballs to help out and kicking it to the players… so i can review myself and say my kicking was improved… nailed a pass to Hepps👍 SSP baby!!!

Few players rested today. Tex was one but came out and did some goal kicking practice anyway. Let him know how well he is going

Lastly Zerk-Thatcher also did full training today

Light but good session

116 Likes

Hopefully Shiel is not serious

Last thing we want is Stringer and Shiel both in doubt for rd 1

Shield cooked. Ah well.

I’ve got no doubt Stringer’s our most talented player.
Long way from there to doing it regularly, enough.