Training Thursday 24th June 2021

lol

I heard Essendon fans outnumbered Hawthorn supporters three to one at Hawthorn’s training session.

44 Likes

I think the skill levels were a bit higher, and the players have a better understanding of the game plan and what is expected of them so it did seem more cohesive.

The overall speed of play was also high but I think the tackles were a bit less aggressive as you would expect during the season, the last thing you want is self inflicted wounds.

27 Likes

Also as you would expect from all the player interviews they seem to be a very happy group at the moment and enjoying each other’s company.

30 Likes

Here I was thinking that we hadn’t trained for the last couple of months…

7 Likes

Just like preseason.

Thanks @nackers for the report.

1 Like

So, given the Durham disappointment, the cheer must have been for Dyl Clarke’s return to full training/VFL

We are going to get in soooo much trouble

Maybe Baldwin’s first time in the main training group? That’s a pretty big deal, considering what the kid’s been through.

2 Likes

NACKERS

HE LIVES

1 Like

I reckon it was for the return of @nackers as a training watcher. The boys knew a quality thread was on its way!

25 Likes

Wouldn’t surprise me if Durham plays.

Not named to take pressure off him. Comes in late for waterman who didn’t do the full session?

Or maybe Durham will be the sub.

1 Like

Truly good report nackers. Thanks from me… Very happy hearing that new boy from Durham Castle already into midfield excursions. We do/need backup to Jake and when Caldwell returns if nothing else.

Lots of pundits say Dees by 3-4 goals this Sat. Maybe they’re right. Somehow this group keeps saying says no to those who doubt our progress.

We’re up for a scrap is all I know. So looking forward to this one

3 Likes

We’re about 8 goals off the best teams so expect somewhere between 20 and 60 points

Great report and nice to read your reports again. Thanks for your time in writing it all up.

• Encouraging to hear th club is managing Drapers return.
  • increasing the loads of Clarke and Baldwin
  • Maybe playing Durham as sub while cutler gets full game this week in VFL is a good plan.
    and the camaraderie between the group has grown and I think that what allows us to believe we can match it against top 8 teams. I think we can bring the heat and make this one a physical contest. I think Melbourne fold and melt under the furnace. Time to put pressure on those soft flaky outside players from Melbourne. They love to run free but find it difficult when it all closed up and in the clinches. Stringer/smith/redman/draper/Guelfi /laverde/stewart need to really apply that physical presence while not going over the time giving frees away
6 Likes

Gee, the Melbourne games I have watched have all been against top opposition (I pretty much only watch Essendon games and games between the top teams) and every time it has been them making the opposition melt.

4 Likes

That’s what I’ve seen too. They’ve been flaky in the past, but not this year. But the good news is that Collingwood beat them with pressure football, so we can do it too.

1 Like

Goodwin has a weak game plan IMO and won’t stack up in finals under pressure. ’
They will be picked apart in second half of year, we don’t have the cattle or experience of top 4 teams but we have youngsters desperate to play well and against good oppo that is all I ask for.

1 Like

What is weak about the game plan?

1 Like

Its not a whole ground contested game style and it won’t suit finals footy.