Training Tuesday 8/11/16

Interesting to hear about JD's slice. I stood behind his goal kicking practice a couple of times last year and while most of his kicks had some sort of hook and some went pretty much straight there were quite a few that seemed to veer off to his left, big time. As in, they'd start at the goal and end up out on the full.

If we can’t fix his kicking with old-fashioned mentoring can we get a sports science expert to analyse the kinetics/physics around this? A biomechanics expert, perhaps, applying inertial sensors to his body and capturing his action using high-speed video? Correlating his ball drop with ball trajectory? Can we use a football with embedded strain gauges to determine how the impact with his foot is affecting spin? Trial different boot technologies to maximise end-over-end spin and minimise lateral spin? Analyse ball spin through the air, again using high-speed cameras, to determine its effect on trajectory?

Of course fcken not. The guy walks back and has a kick over a wooden mannequin. Then he goes and gets the footy (unless Harts or Harvs is there to go get it for him) and does it again. Then he goes and gets the footy and does it again. Seriously, we’re one of the biggest clubs in a national competition and sometimes we behave like the local amateurs.

Depressingly, I see nothing that indicates Joe is any closer to getting his kicking right.
The fact that some hook, some don’t, and now he slices it as well, is just horrible. You can’t kick accurately when you don’t know what which way the ball is going to go.
I agree with HH. Someone, somehow needs to give him the mechanics of what is happening. Eg When the ball hits the top of the instep (or to the right of the top), it hooks. When it hits the left side of your foot, it goes straight.
I don’t know. And neither does Joe. Just repeating what he is doing does nothing other than sap his confidence. He needs to understand what is happening, and why, and how to fix it. Then he can practise.
Liken it to golf. If you hook, slice and hit it straight off the tee, and have no idea why, it is no use going to a driving range and hitting 100 balls. You don’t learn anything. You don’t fix anything. You need to understand what you are doing wrong and what it takes to get it right, and then, and only then, can you practise it.

I wish JOEDAN would listen to BLITZ.

Geoff Leek was told to kick on his non preferred foot ugly action but ended up using the non preferred foot all the time when it became his preferred foot. LOLthat makes sense doesn’t it?

Geoff Leek was told to kick on his non preferred foot ugly action but ended up using the non preferred foot all the time when it became his preferred foot. LOLthat makes sense doesn't it?

Happens a lot to players that make the NBA. They work on their non-preferred side so hard that it becomes more preferred.

The worst part about Daniher’s kicking is the inconsistency of where his kick goes to
Points to his ball stop being absolutely garbage

Great reports Jackie, Henceforth I shall chat to my wheeliebins and make sure they have a greater importance in life.

Geoff Leek was told to kick on his non preferred foot ugly action but ended up using the non preferred foot all the time when it became his preferred foot. LOLthat makes sense doesn't it?

It also means your learning the correct technique. So the non-preferred side is more trustworthy.

The Preferred side is learned in childhood, and junior coaches usually dont have the skill to iron out the faults in the kicking action.

Ie. Irish footballers have better foot skills than most players in the AFL.

It also means your learning the correct technique. So the non-preferred side is more trustworthy.

The Preferred side is learned in childhood, and junior coaches usually dont have the skill to iron out the faults in the kicking action.

Hmm.

Insert GIF of Quinny fresh airing it from 1 meter out in the 2009 Elim.

Interesting to hear about JD's slice. I stood behind his goal kicking practice a couple of times last year and while most of his kicks had some sort of hook and some went pretty much straight there were quite a few that seemed to veer off to his left, big time. As in, they'd start at the goal and end up out on the full.

If we can’t fix his kicking with old-fashioned mentoring can we get a sports science expert to analyse the kinetics/physics around this? A biomechanics expert, perhaps, applying inertial sensors to his body and capturing his action using high-speed video? Correlating his ball drop with ball trajectory? Can we use a football with embedded strain gauges to determine how the impact with his foot is affecting spin? Trial different boot technologies to maximise end-over-end spin and minimise lateral spin? Analyse ball spin through the air, again using high-speed cameras, to determine its effect on trajectory?

Of course fcken not. The guy walks back and has a kick over a wooden mannequin. Then he goes and gets the footy (unless Harts or Harvs is there to go get it for him) and does it again. Then he goes and gets the footy and does it again. Seriously, we’re one of the biggest clubs in a national competition and sometimes we behave like the local amateurs.

100% agree, absolutely ridiculous.

I truely believe that his mechanics are not that broken, his field kicking is testament to that, it’s that he lacks confidence in it when he lines up for goal, too many chefs have weighed in and that is when his mechanics that are functional start to fall apart.

I truely believe that his mechanics are not that broken, his field kicking is testament to that, it's that he lacks confidence in it when he lines up for goal, too many chefs have weighed in and that is when his mechanics that are functional start to fall apart.

Exactly, his field kicking for a big bloke is exceptional so he can kick a ball, the problem seems to be mainly between the ears and maybe to many poeple in those ears.

The wheelie bins drop away after the first six picks this year.

I remember reading a lengthy article a few years ago about the subconscious calculations going on in David Beckham brain every time he took a shot. It was fascinating and explained all the bio mechanics of the ball including how much it went out of shape, his boot and its shape change, and then his foot. It also then went on about balance and arm position. It was fascinating and I remember thinking how much his action must have been measured, diagnosed, videoed etc.
Oh that the same could be done not just for Joe but for anyone who aspires to be a goal kicker at our club.

I remember reading a lengthy article a few years ago about the subconscious calculations going on in David Beckham brain every time he took a shot. It was fascinating and explained all the bio mechanics of the ball including how much it went out of shape, his boot and its shape change, and then his foot. It also then went on about balance and arm position. It was fascinating and I remember thinking how much his action must have been measured, diagnosed, videoed etc.
Oh that the same could be done not just for Joe but for anyone who aspires to be a goal kicker at our club.

There where really accurate goal kickers in the league long before biomechanics was a thing

There where really accurate goal kickers in the league long before biomechanics was a thing

Weeeeellllll…‘bio-mechanics’ is a word.
But bio-mechanics has been around since…biology :slight_smile:

But that’s like saying there were really healthy people long before antibiotics were discovered.