Training Tuesday August 5

I was pretty sure when I wrote this report that the most interest would be centred on Hurley's new nickname but please take note that although the in close clearance training went very well the whole ground moving the ball drill was disappointingly sloppy. This is the most important issue to take out of this report following the loss to Sydney and previous seasons where we have fallen away at the end of the season.

was it sloppy because hurley was pulling a wagon?

I was pretty sure when I wrote this report that the most interest would be centred on Hurley's new nickname but please take note that although the in close clearance training went very well the whole ground moving the ball drill was disappointingly sloppy. This is the most important issue to take out of this report following the loss to Sydney and previous seasons where we have fallen away at the end of the season.

was it sloppy because hurley was pulling a wagon?

Or eating a whole apple?

I was pretty sure when I wrote this report that the most interest would be centred on Hurley's new nickname but please take note that although the in close clearance training went very well the whole ground moving the ball drill was disappointingly sloppy.  This is the most important issue to take out of this report following the loss to Sydney and previous seasons where we have fallen away at the end of the season.

I will go instantly bald if this is what we see in the remaining rounds... again.

You sure it didn't just say "big Hurls"?

I was pretty sure when I wrote this report that the most interest would be centred on Hurley's new nickname but please take note that although the in close clearance training went very well the whole ground moving the ball drill was disappointingly sloppy.  This is the most important issue to take out of this report following the loss to Sydney and previous seasons where we have fallen away at the end of the season.

Our skills (kicking, handpassing, ball handling) were sloppy against Sydney. Some blamed the pressure for the skill erros but there were quite a few skill errors when players were under no pressure.
This year there have been some games where are skills have been sublime. But for most of the year they have been on the poor side

Having had a couple of weeks off they all looked pretty rusty... and I think it took them a quarter to get back into the "vibe" of the game. I reckon they will be cherry ripe to take on the Tigers though. 

Our skills (kicking, handpassing, ball handling) were sloppy against Sydney. Some blamed the pressure for the skill erros but there were quite a few skill errors when players were under no pressure.
This year there have been some games where are skills have been sublime. But for most of the year they have been on the poor side

I'm pretty sure we are in the top few sides for disposal efficiency??

Yes, We are Number 1 in the league for disposal efficiency - 74.2%,

But then again Melbourne and Richmond are in the top 5, so it probably just illustrates that our high possession short kicking game is inflating that stat.

Yes, We are Number 1 in the league for disposal efficiency - 74.2%,

But then again Melbourne and Richmond are in the top 5, so it probably just illustrates that our high possession short kicking game is inflating that stat.

Well bugger me. It certainly doesnt feel like that when you watch a game. Also disposal effeciency is only half of what I was talking about. Ball handling is the other half.

Doesn't it? Take out a few of our ridiculous loses (Melb, Saints) and I'd say we have had quite consistent kicking in our wins and close loses. Certainly I feel more comfortable that we aren't going to just hand it back to the opposition than I have in years, even last year where we were a more attacking team but we still seemed to have a tendency to sometimes turn it over under little pressure. Sydney (or more correctly the first half) was the first time I just hung my head and laughed thinking back to previous years where we would just gift opposition goals. Of course this isn't to say I think we are a top 4 team in teams of disposal, disposal efficiency is a ■■■■■ stat and there is definitely room for improvement.

Ball handling is another matter altogether, we still have too many players who fumble.

Hey- for anyone in the know- if it’s wet will the players still do a captains run this morning?

Last week was a really tough contested game, I imagine that the conditioning staff are acutely aware of this.

However, hope they boys arent flat come tomorrow night. Need to get the job done.

One thing I noticed in the warmup before one of our recent Melbourne wins was that the players were deliberately keeping their passes very low and flat. This was carried through to the game and I’m sure contributed to the win. Is this something that is still being emphasised at training?

One thing I noticed in the warmup before one of our recent Melbourne wins was that the players were deliberately keeping their passes very low and flat. This was carried through to the game and I'm sure contributed to the win. Is this something that is still being emphasised at training?

from what I could tell, yes. however there were a few slow loopers that were pointed out throughout the morning.

One thing I noticed in the warmup before one of our recent Melbourne wins was that the players were deliberately keeping their passes very low and flat. This was carried through to the game and I'm sure contributed to the win. Is this something that is still being emphasised at training?

The emphasis is on moving the ball quickly so low and flat would achieve this better than a high looping kick like Stanton sometimes does.  The other emphasis is kicking to a target on the move and having the player run onto the pass rather than receiving it flat footed or having to wait.  Again a lower, flatter kick is better for this.