Training Wednesday 11/01/2017

First time poster!

I was watching the forwards group mainly.

Impressed with Stewart, works hard and has a good understanding of forward craft.

Laverde is moving like a gazelle. Hopefully a break out year for him.

Young Dylan Clarke’s kicking needs some work, but there’s plenty of time for that.

We Need more “Gazelle” and less " Craft" in training reports folks!

I think in a few years Lav is the full package utility. Forward/mid/back. Has obvious class above head and at ground level to go with his aggression, work ethic and intimidating size. Hopefully he is good enough to become a genuine A grade utility who doesn't need to be pigeonholed in one position to make it.

Goddard at his best was the best utility in the league who could impact in all areas of the ground so it’s good to know Lav has a good role model to lean on as he develops.

I know neither of them have had their big breakout seasons yet but how inspired are the Langford & Laverde selections looking?!

They’re looking arrogant. We’re putting another 2000 team together

I think in a few years Lav is the full package utility. Forward/mid/back. Has obvious class above head and at ground level to go with his aggression, work ethic and intimidating size. Hopefully he is good enough to become a genuine A grade utility who doesn’t need to be pigeonholed in one position to make it.

Goddard at his best was the best utility in the league who could impact in all areas of the ground so it’s good to know Lav has a good role model to lean on as he develops.

I know neither of them have had their big breakout seasons yet but how inspired are the Langford & Laverde selections looking?!

I like that more people are getting involved in providing us with the much anticipated training reports, thus giving us other perspectives and more chances to feel involved. Great work you Blitzers.

C7 just reported that Joey is still recovering from hip surgery.

Well what ever it is e.g hip, knee or quad he is at least doing a lot of running, meaning his fitness will not be affected. On the other hand no kicking on his left means his goal kicking practice is on hold.

The running he did today wouldn’t have got his heartbeat over about 70. Very gentle trotting around witches hats.

Great reports all, just like being there. Thank you!

Agree- thanks to all involved.

The Draper light duties at times could be down to fact that he is a 203cm 18yr old.

Probably still growing to a degree & wanting to ensure that his loads are very carefully managed.

Simply no point in him over doing training (and we are talking about highest running loads of any elite team sport) at such an early stage of his development.

Could be .
In past years I observed the ruckmen went off to their own part of the ground and competed against each other and of course that big bag that some poor bloke has to hold while they jump on it.

But as far as I can see we have the 3 other ruckmen all on modified programs at the moment, so its really not possible to train full on as ruckmen at the moment. Could that be it?

Well done and thanks for that.
Did you notice Kobe Mitch and if so, how did he go?

“Facial Mexican wave”. Gold!

Which foot did Mutch hick it off?

first like.

Thanks heaps A-SB18

Can you tell me which group Brown is training with… defenders?

I’d love to hear how Conor Mckenna is going if you noticed him at all.

The Fridge, could he play next year because he has size, or is he winning his contests and standing out in the drills?

"Facial Mexican wave". Gold!

Which foot did Mutch hick it off?

good question - right I think

Awesome report

Mutch appreciated

Was waiting for someone else to do this but I’ll get it started with my very amateurish observations. Warning: do not expect a Jackie/Knackers/etc type of report. These guys are brilliant don’t know how they do it.

General Observations:
Jobe & Hep looking great - quick hands on the ball and lightening releases were the highlights.
Others that stood out in the drills: Howlett, Hocking, Mc Neice?. Walla, Hooker
Langford played mainly midfield. Laverde forward.
JD & Belly on the other oval running laps and some light short stepping drills.
Stanton runs all day and often in space.
Jackson was running the 'tan 'early then participated in game simulation - off half back.
Francis participated in the drills early and then ran laps.
Few Hooker/Hurley duels near my end - Hooker had the better of Hurls.
Walla trained with the forwards.
Mutch delivered one beautiful 50 metre pass to Walla that caused spectator eyebrows to lift in unison - like a facial Mexican wave.

Met fellow blitzer Jodi - hopefully he’ll chip in with more detail…:slight_smile:

Cheers

Thanks heaps A-SB18

Can you tell me which group Brown is training with… defenders?

I’d love to hear how Conor Mckenna is going if you noticed him at all.

The Fridge, could he play next year because he has size, or is he winning his contests and standing out in the drills?

From my observations:
Brown - defenders group
Conor - I didn’t notice him all that much today.
Fridge - looked ok. Regular training watchers would have a better insight.

How was Redman?

Lav looks exciting but I still see him as a mid. Won’t complain if he kicks 30 or 40 goals but I see him as a Fyfe like mid (in style - not quality - I know, settle down etc.)

Thanks guys

Well done Jodi - great detail!!
Looks like we have 3 separate reports running at the moment…lol

Any update on Don Draper? I haven’t heard anything about the friendly giant. With Joe and Belly making daisy chains on the small oval who is keeping Looey company in drills?

Any update on Don Draper? I haven't heard anything about the friendly giant. With Joe and Belly making daisy chains on the small oval who is keeping Looey company in drills?

Draper participated in rucking drills with Luey & Jamar.
Didn’t see him nor Luey involved in game simulation.

Any update on Don Draper? I haven't heard anything about the friendly giant. With Joe and Belly making daisy chains on the small oval who is keeping Looey company in drills?

Will put my thoughts in here although they are quite outdated.

As Jackie mentioned, in mid-December, I went over and was able to get to a training session. Never bothered to post my thoughts as Jackie covered them well. Would like to extend my thanks to Jackie for the PM about training details and the warm welcome provided.

The one thing I did notice is that Sam Draper did not only 0 ball work but very little (from memory almost 0) physical work whatsoever. He simply didn’t train. I don’t get it. He kept sort of walking back and forth between the 2 ovals watching others train and awkwardly smiling at watching fans as he did so. His only involvement was right at the end when he helped train Leuenberger who was doing a drill where he had to take a ruck tap, receive a handball, cop a bump, give off the handball, give a bump, then give a tackle all in a 60 second burst. Draper’s role was… holding the ruck bag for him. I get he’s coming from a long way back and in many ways is an “alternative talent” but do we not have enough coaches/trainers/staff members to accommodate him? I couldn’t care if he doesn’t touch a footy until June but he was simply doing nothing. Could he not be in the hangar watching vision/learning systems with someone? In the gym doing weights? Running to slim down/build up fitness? The time I watched he simply wandered around in a fashion which reminds me of the way I used to approach cricket training - wander around and watch others train/pretend to study their techniques so I didn’t have to actually train myself.

That rant went a bit longer than it was supposed to but I remember Jackie mentioned it the week after I went to training meaning I wasn’t getting a bad sample and it seems like it’s continuing into the new year Christmas.

Obviously the dumbest coach at the club knows about 2000x what I know about footy but would love to know what the rationale is behind the approach to Draper. As Jackie says he seems like a bit of a lost soul.

Also when I went there was a father and son watching, the father couldn’t hide his warm smile on display that was something more than that of a fan seeing his side train and (presumably) his son looked Mutch-like in the face and had almost identical haircut/style so I presume it was a proud Mr Mutch and brother Mutch watching Kobe in one of his first training sessions so that was nice to see.