Training Wednesday 11/01/2017

Any update on Don Draper? I haven't heard anything about the friendly giant. With Joe and Belly making daisy chains on the small oval who is keeping Looey company in drills?

No ruckmen in the drills today. Play was started with Jamar tapping it down uncontested.
Luey ran only, and did very little of that.
Draper ran only very lightly and didn’t participate in the drills. I can only think that maybe he is doing work inside the hanger, gym or otherwise, and they don’t want him to participate in the other drills yet for physical load reasons. Otherwise, no idea.

I did a fairly long report in a separate thread, which I hope/expect will be merged into this. My first training of the year, so I don't have a basis for comparison. ASB18 and BM above have picked up different things that I either missed or saw a bit differently, so hope the different viewpoints help rather than hinder. I will do a quick run down on individuals, as I saw it today, in another post soon.

Jodi, I really liked your report, why dont you just cut and paste it in here , and leave the mods to clean the other thread up?

You said: “…The interesting thing for me was that only the established experienced players were used in the centre, plus Langford. So Watson, Heppell, Hocking, Myers, Bird, Zac Merrett and Langford. No Parish or McGrath, or even Stanton, Goddard, Colyer. I guess this gives and indication of who Woosha sees as his main mids, and he wanted to give them extended practice at extracting the ball and maybe working together as a group…”

This almost exactly correlates with what Bluey said in his interview. The ones you named (Bluey calls them the “tractors”) will be the inside mids, Parish McGrath, Stanton, (Goddard,) Colyer are outside mids, but Zac might do both. Goddard, probably will be a half back or swingman.

The Draper light duties at times could be down to fact that he is a 203cm 18yr old.

Probably still growing to a degree & wanting to ensure that his loads are very carefully managed.

Simply no point in him over doing training (and we are talking about highest running loads of any elite team sport) at such an early stage of his development.

Missing @karmabomber 's training picture updates? Find him on instagram under the same username.

A few further thoughts about individuals and what I saw today (NB there were quite a few who just didn't get a chance to do much today, save for participate in the skills based drills) -

Ridley - in the early match/clearance drill, he lead and marked, then moved it on with an accurate kick a couple of times. Kicked a goal from an uncontested mark. Look neat skills and could get away on the lead. He is all arms and legs and just about 1cm shorter than Hooker, so a nice size once he fills out. Moved well.

Wow. I knew he was meant to have the potential to reach KP height, but is he really that tall already? If so he grew fast since the measurement taken for the draft info was recorded.
I did a fairly long report in a separate thread, which I hope/expect will be merged into this. My first training of the year, so I don't have a basis for comparison. ASB18 and BM above have picked up different things that I either missed or saw a bit differently, so hope the different viewpoints help rather than hinder. I will do a quick run down on individuals, as I saw it today, in another post soon.

Jodi, I really liked your report, why dont you just cut and paste it in here , and leave the mods to clean the other thread up?

You said: “…The interesting thing for me was that only the established experienced players were used in the centre, plus Langford. So Watson, Heppell, Hocking, Myers, Bird, Zac Merrett and Langford. No Parish or McGrath, or even Stanton, Goddard, Colyer. I guess this gives and indication of who Woosha sees as his main mids, and he wanted to give them extended practice at extracting the ball and maybe working together as a group…”

This almost exactly correlates with what Bluey said in his interview. The ones you named (Bluey calls them the “tractors”) will be the inside mids, Parish McGrath, Stanton, (Goddard,) Colyer are outside mids, but Zac might do both. Goddard, probably will be a half back or swingman.

Yes, interesting. Last year you would have called Parish an inside mid. But I think it is a good call if we want to use him more outside this year. Not only does this suit his body, but it develops that part of his game. He may transition into a more inside role as he matures, like both Heppell and Zac have.

PS I’ll do the cut and past thing.

Any update on Don Draper? I haven't heard anything about the friendly giant. With Joe and Belly making daisy chains on the small oval who is keeping Looey company in drills?

No ruckmen in the drills today. Play was started with Jamar tapping it down uncontested.
Draper ran only very lightly and didn’t participate in the drills. I can only think that maybe he is doing work inside the hanger, gym or otherwise, and they don’t want him to participate in the other drills yet for physical load reasons. Otherwise, no idea.

I like to think of him as a big puppy. Can’t exercise him too much too early or you’ll do damage to his joints.

Below is a cut and paste of my training report from the separate thread (alluded to above) -

It being 3+ hrs since training ended and there being no other training report lodged, I guess I will give it a go.
I can’t say I have as good a observation skills or memory for what happened as the esteemed Jackie, but I took some notes and observed as much as my so so eyesight allows.

Firstly, everyone put in an appearance except for Eades and Fanta, I believe. Anyone who saw them, feel free to correct me.
TBC and Joe did very little. A handball/reflexes drill for 20 mins and then some very light running around cones on the smaller oval. Luey did even less, spending a few minutes early with Jamar and then some gentle running. Draper about the same. So, pretty much no ruckmen today.
Long also did only light running. McKernan similar for most of the session but joined in the competitive match simulation late in the session.
Zaka did some of the early drills but peeled off for some running around the boundary for about half the session. I didn’t see him in the later drills, so maybe he left the track after that.
Francis I only noticed once, and that was when he was running laps on the smaller oval. He may have participated in the main drills, but if he did, I didn’t see him. Morgan I think participated in the early drills but ended up doing a bit of running and finished early.
So all those guys either did no real training or very little.

The session went for about 2 hrs, but I would call it very light. I haven’t been to any other training this pre season, so I have no basis for comparison. But the emphasis in almost every drill was on stoppages and in tight handball. As a result there wasn’t much running. I wouldn’t think anyone would have come off the track fatigued at all.
After some warm up ball handling in groups, the main drill, lasting about 20 mins, was for centre stoppage practice. There were 2 full teams of 18, but the drill stopped and was restarted after varying short periods of play immediately after the centre bounce. Most were quite short, and after a few handballs in the middle to release the ball, and a short kick or two, the drill was stopped and restarted. As a result, the players at either end of the ground participated very little, and only competed for the ball on the odd occasion. The interesting thing for me was that only the established experienced players were used in the centre, plus Langford. So Watson, Heppell, Hocking, Myers, Bird, Zac Merrett and Langford. No Parish or McGrath, or even Stanton, Goddard, Colyer. I guess this gives and indication of who Woosha sees as his main mids, and he wanted to give them extended practice at extracting the ball and maybe working together as a group.
After that, there were some more handball based skills drills, including a game of keepings off in a confined space.
For a period, 6 or 7 players separated and practised a drill where a player was given the ball with his back to 2 pairs of 2, and had to turn, run backwards quickly as if getting back off his mark, and then deliver to a short lead. The 2 pairs would alternate between offensive and defensive roles. The participants initially were Redman, Hooker, Steward, Laverde and Tippa. All rotated between kicking and and 2 on 2 competing. I can only guess that Tippa was included to work on his man on man marking/leading/defending the lead skills. Although he was outsized in a lot of contests, size wasn’t a factor, as there was very little contested marking (leads only) and very little body on body work. In fact, it was a blocking and leading exercise, with some use of running back behind the defender. I personally would like to see a lot more pushing off and defensive pushing to make it more like a game. Later, Clark joined in, but only in the kicking role (more later).
Finally, another full ground match simulation for about 10-15mins ended the session (other than some more, seemingly voluntary, ball skills work and goalkicking by a few). This ran for longer periods of play, and so involved more players at either end, but again was interrupted regularly and restarted by ball ups in varying parts of the ground.
Overall, an emphasis on stoppages and clearance today.

This could go on for some time if I spill all my thoughts about individuals and what I saw today, so I’ll end this post and add another later emphasising individuals.
I guess the only other general comment is that I thought the skills level was pretty good. Not too many targets missed. Pretty clean by hand most of the time. But then so it should be when there is only limited physical pressure being applied.
Happy to answer any questions if I am able.

As I have said, the opportunities for many individuals to show what they could do were limited today

Great reports all, just like being there. Thank you!

Not sure if it’s been covered, but does anyone know about Eades not training? Injured/developing?

The one thing I did notice is that Sam Draper did not only 0 ball work but very little (from memory almost 0) physical work whatsoever. He simply didn't train. I don't get it. He kept sort of walking back and forth between the 2 ovals watching others train and awkwardly smiling at watching fans as he did so. His only involvement was right at the end when he helped train Leuenberger who was doing a drill where he had to take a ruck tap, receive a handball, cop a bump, give off the handball, give a bump, then give a tackle all in a 60 second burst. Draper's role was... holding the ruck bag for him. I get he's coming from a long way back and in many ways is an "alternative talent" but do we not have enough coaches/trainers/staff members to accommodate him? I couldn't care if he doesn't touch a footy until June but he was simply doing nothing. Could he not be in the hangar watching vision/learning systems with someone? In the gym doing weights? Running to slim down/build up fitness? The time I watched he simply wandered around in a fashion which reminds me of the way I used to approach cricket training - wander around and watch others train/pretend to study their techniques so I didn't have to actually train myself.

That rant went a bit longer than it was supposed to but I remember Jackie mentioned it the week after I went to training meaning I wasn’t getting a bad sample and it seems like it’s continuing into the new year Christmas.

Obviously the dumbest coach at the club knows about 2000x what I know about footy but would love to know what the rationale is behind the approach to Draper. As Jackie says he seems like a bit of a lost soul.

Maybe you just went on a day when he was on light duties. I don’t see what the problem with getting him involved with ruck duels when he isn’t training is either.

I’m not going to argue cos as I said I don’t know the story but my point was that Jackie mentioned it the week after meaning it happened the next week (and he mentioned that it was a build up of several weeks) and it’s obviously happened today too.

Yes, interesting. Last year you would have called Parish an inside mid. But I think it is a good call if we want to use him more outside this year. Not only does this suit his body, but it develops that part of his game. He may transition into a more inside role as he matures, like both Heppell and Zac have.

PS I’ll do the cut and past thing.

He also spoke about Zaka and Zerrett being used more on the outside than last year, focusing on getting their best ball users outside of the contest. Not that the experienced inside mids lack skills though.

Will put my thoughts in here although they are quite outdated.

As Jackie mentioned, in mid-December, I went over and was able to get to a training session. Never bothered to post my thoughts as Jackie covered them well. Would like to extend my thanks to Jackie for the PM about training details and the warm welcome provided.

The one thing I did notice is that Sam Draper did not only 0 ball work but very little (from memory almost 0) physical work whatsoever. He simply didn’t train. I don’t get it. He kept sort of walking back and forth between the 2 ovals watching others train and awkwardly smiling at watching fans as he did so. His only involvement was right at the end when he helped train Leuenberger who was doing a drill where he had to take a ruck tap, receive a handball, cop a bump, give off the handball, give a bump, then give a tackle all in a 60 second burst. Draper’s role was… holding the ruck bag for him. I get he’s coming from a long way back and in many ways is an “alternative talent” but do we not have enough coaches/trainers/staff members to accommodate him? I couldn’t care if he doesn’t touch a footy until June but he was simply doing nothing. Could he not be in the hangar watching vision/learning systems with someone? In the gym doing weights? Running to slim down/build up fitness? The time I watched he simply wandered around in a fashion which reminds me of the way I used to approach cricket training - wander around and watch others train/pretend to study their techniques so I didn’t have to actually train myself.

That rant went a bit longer than it was supposed to but I remember Jackie mentioned it the week after I went to training meaning I wasn’t getting a bad sample and it seems like it’s continuing into the new year Christmas.

Obviously the dumbest coach at the club knows about 2000x what I know about footy but would love to know what the rationale is behind the approach to Draper. As Jackie says he seems like a bit of a lost soul.

Also when I went there was a father and son watching, the father couldn’t hide his warm smile on display that was something more than that of a fan seeing his side train and (presumably) his son looked Mutch-like in the face and had almost identical haircut/style so I presume it was a proud Mr Mutch and brother Mutch watching Kobe in one of his first training sessions so that was nice to see.

If nobody else down there has the time I’m more than happy to partner up with young Sam and run through some drills. I’m 175cm, weigh about 75kg and quite unfit. At least I will boost his confidence !

At least Jmar is fit and getting through lots of drills. Very glad he stayed on the list this years… * cough cough

A few further thoughts about individuals and what I saw today (NB there were quite a few who just didn’t get a chance to do much today, save for participate in the skills based drills) -

The new guys.
McGrath - wasn’t involved much in the competitive drills. Kicked it nicely (40m pass to an open teammate) late in the match simulation. Lovely build.
Ridley - in the early match/clearance drill, he lead and marked, then moved it on with an accurate kick a couple of times. Kicked a goal from an uncontested mark. Look neat skills and could get away on the lead. He is all arms and legs and just about 1cm shorter than Hooker, so a nice size once he fills out. Moved well.
Mutch - looked ok. Also minimal opportunities to compete today, but also well built. Kicked it well 40m laterally off the right once. Again, nice size and has a bit of bulk on him.
Clark - almost unsighted today, but that is not a criticism at all. He has an odd ball drop. It looks quite mechanical ie unnatural, in that he holds his left hand quite low and very still and so has a bit of a stunted action. When he was included in the kicking to a lead drill, his short 20m kicks hit the target ok, but when he kicked longer (eg to a forward dropping back) he took a bit longer to get it onto his boot and the kick lacked a bit of penetration. But nothing to worry about. I’ve seen a lot worse kicks. Everything spun ok and went where it was intended to go.
Begley - I genuinely didn’t see him do a thing today. I wish I had have as I would love to watch what he can do.

Other observations
Parish - could be a frustrating season for him unless he can play other than in the middle. Mostly forward today.
Stewart - he is getting a fair run at it in Joe’s absence. He seems to present all right, and his short kicking was good. He was fine in the 2 on 2 drill eg comparable with Hooker. The thing I noticed was a late 1 on 1 session against Hurley, pushing off and then leading from the square, he just lacked the speed on the burst to get clear and avoid the spoil from behind on the lead. Could be an issue. He looked a bit tired at the finish, so maybe that was the problem.
Green - trained but almost no involvement, like a few others. (I can understand why ASB18 thought he didn’t train, but he was out there)
Jaxson Merrett - did a time trial on his own (2 laps of the track) at the start of the session. Then participated about 50% in the remainder (fair enough given he would have been fatigued after the time trial). Did quite well in the clearance drill and the match simulation. One fumble I saw, but generally good. Seemed to be wing or half back. He looks a fair bit bigger and stronger than last year.
Baguley - I forgot to mention that I don’t think he participated much today either. Possibly still building up to full training. Not sure of his fitness, or what he has done in previous sessions.
McNiece - looked ok in the match simulation.
Redman - for me, he looked about the same as Ridley, maybe Ridley kicks it better. Still pretty thin and wiry. In the leading 2 on 2 drill was probably the least impressive in terms of kicking accuracy and getting free on the lead.

Anyone want to know anything about other individuals I’ll try to answer.

From afl.com:

Daniher trained away from Essendon’s main group on Wednesday because of knee soreness.

Skipworth said the spearhead was expected to return to full training in three or four weeks and was hopeful he would play some part in the Bombers’ JLT Community Series campaign.

PS. I forgot to mean Lav. He looks super fit, and he is bursting at the seams. In the 2 on 2 quick leads, he had the pace to get separation and present. I think he will play the role of a quick leading 3rd forward. He has the short burst pace that is needed.

From afl.com:

Daniher trained away from Essendon’s main group on Wednesday because of knee soreness.

Skipworth said the spearhead was expected to return to full training in three or four weeks and was hopeful he would play some part in the Bombers’ JLT Community Series campaign.

:expressionless:

Hopefully Joe has a huge pre season next year because I think he’ll be important to our top 4/flag tilt in 2018.

From afl.com:

R.I.P Joe.