Training Wednesday 25th January 2023

Did Tex play in this “game” and if so, how did he go?

Regular pre season watchers.

Are we going to be any good this year?

Anyone going to the preseason games this year to report on them.

Hard to tell without seeing us against opponents.

The only noticeable change I saw it that they looked fitter.

4 Likes

No, ran laps at a very good pace, kept Harry Jones company. Will be back in full training after the break (got that from Tex himself). Just getting over a minor ankle roll on Friday. Judging by his running work he’s in great shape - I’m excited to see what he can do this year.

12 Likes

I’m super excited about our VFL forwardline

hf: Munkara Stewart VOSS
f: J Davey Baldwin Wanganeen

maybe A Davey or Menzie too depending on firsts.

2 Likes

The only way you’ll be seeing J Davey in the VFL is if someone has a season-ending injury (or the SSP guys are seriously underwhelming and we don’t offer any of them a contract).

Oh no another injury to a young Essendon player.
Oh wait!
This club is useless.

3 Likes

A 5 month injury?
Wow.
I’m surprised he wasn’t training at Tullamarine.

1 Like

Josh Eyre might be a chance for SSP.
I’m happy with Hayes though.

I thought i saw Josh eyre in the training photos at efc the other day then someone said that Ryan (his brother) was playing.

1 Like

Absolutely agree. The muscle memory, once a correct technique has been established, is crucial for goal kicking. In the past, many of the team haven’t even had a correct or established technique, which is fundamental.

Smith and his (formerly) disciple Laburchagne are the players they are because of the hours they spend on practice. It’s no coincidence that they are two of the best batsmen in the world.

2 Likes

You for real? Voss is the new Jonathan brown according to blitz circa late 2022

100% this. If the new coaching style and implementation of game plan does not work in the next 18 months, then I think we need to jettison some of the core players and rebuild.

1 Like

Never heard of that player.

2 Likes

i keep reading this about laverde but i do not buy it at all

explain why tom barrass was considered a All Australian defender last year in a team who conceded MORE goals, more points and had a even worse midfield pressuring the opposition? you could say the same about Ben McKay from north, who is a pretty good key defender. these players arent afforded these excuses, why? because they are quality players

decent players are decent players, no matter what. bottom line is, Laverde conceeds far too many goals. he’s possibly the most overrated player on this forum, and i actually dont mind him, but the way people carry on about his defensive skills is ridiculous

5 Likes

Man you found a lot from 1 paragraph that wasn’t there.

I never said he was a superstar.

I didn’t even say he was a good player.

I don’t think he’s right for the key backs.

I honestly don’t know what his perfect fit is.

I do know that he tries his heart out and puts his body on the line.

And I stand by my comment that he wasn’t helped by our defensive efforts up the ground. I don’t recall West Coast and North getting highlighted week after week for the coast to coast goals against them.

13 Likes

Repetitive muscle memory training becomes more important when practising an action with a very low margin for error.

Think concert pianist playing ten notes at a time with fingers aiming at narrow keys, then moving said fingers across narrow keys at incredible speeds in multiple directions where one missed note can ruin the performance.

Now think about a golfer. Small club face moving through the air at high velocity aiming for the smallest of sweet spots in a tiny ball. Any deviation will send the ball sailing in the wrong direction. To land the club head in the correct spot takes hours of repetitive muscle training .

Cricket, bigger ball, bigger hitting surface, still narrow margin of error so a degree of muscle memory comes into play and therefore the requirement for repetitive training but certainly not to the same degree as the aforementioned activities.

Finally goal kicking. Large surface area (your foot) aiming at large ball. Any deviation in the contact is somewhat mitigated by a sizeable target area in both the vertical and horizontal planes. As such, a relative newcomer can successfully perform the action and achieve the desired result. Repetitive muscle training is therefore not as essential.

Barrass gives a ton more drive.

Lav is really just a straight defender these days. I don’t think there’s a ton between them, purely as defenders.

1 Like

So, it’s easy to kick straight?
Easy-ish?

Good, then don’t practice. But somebody should still think of a way to get professional sportsmen to be accurate set shots.

Because hes really good. Laverde is not as good as Barrass, but hes decent.