Training Wednesday 3/8/16

I reckon anyone, anyone at all, could kick straight with the technique Ben Brown uses. It is really simple, he just goes back a long way, gets into a trot, in a straight line at the target, uses a relatively simple, mechanical, near 2 handed ball drop, where the ball pretty much can't skew to either side, and then just pokes it along the line, with a swing of his leg that doesn't get out of the jogging straight run. No matter how unnatural, Joe, or anyone else, could do that, with a bit of practice. It wouldn't work for a long shot, where a more natural flowing technique would be required to get maximum distance, but Brown gets it to go 40 to 45m pretty easily. It really is pretty foolproof, and wouldn't be hard to do.

Absolutely spot on. Brown is a guy who seems to lack natural coordination with his kicking but he’s worked out how to systemise his approach. The forward momentum, careful ball drop, everything aligned in the direction of the goal, you can’t beat it.

Joe walks in to kick at goal with the ball held at about the level of his thighs - the bottom of the ball is just above his knees. Then just before he kicks he lifts the ball up to his waist - the bottom of the ball is actually higher than the top of his shorts - and drops it from there. That’s a lift of approximately 60cm, and means that he starts his ball drop from way above the contact point with his foot. Margin for error = huge.

He’s gotta hold the ball steady, drop it straight, and follow through straight, it’s not rocket surgery. And yes I’m offering my services, Joe, for a very reasonable fee.

just watch the lockets, dunstalls, Abletts, lloyd they have a lower ball drop.

Cause daniher is so tall probably needs to watch footage of Simon Madden & Salmon.

I've changed the way I kick the footy in indoor afl and now I kick much straighter after 12 years of footy(8 years outdoor and 4 years indoor haha) . Boy it was hard and thought I could never do it but I find the ball not swing as much. It was the way I drop the ball and kind of the same how daniher drops his ball- leading hand coming over the body. Just practised at work over a period of short time recently believe it or not hahaha. the ball height, keeping my leading hand not coming over my body and focusing on my follow through and arm action. Whilst its not PERFECT as I'm still adjusting to it I find my accuracy so much better. Fk it i maze well coach daniher sign me up

There is “indoor footy”?

I thought that was just kicking the nerf footy back and forth in the living room with your brother until Mum yells at you to stop. So you then change to hand balling it back and forth until the next yell at which point the two of you then just go the biff.

Thanks Jackie. On a wet and cold day these make an entertaining read.

Thanks also to Sugar Winton for the update.

Ahh the ol' worm burner stab pass, as fast as a rocket, low and straight no higher than the belly. I played with some in the '70's that were excellent stab kicks. Flat punts, torps & stab passes were the go.

Who was it that started the drop punt? McKenna?

BS! Unless yu mean a McKenna from the 19th Century.

Jack Dyer was popularly credited (= tried to take the kudos) but it was around long before Jack played in the '30s-40s.

I foresee a lot of stab kicks into the man on the mark.

No predictive value. We do that a lot of times as it is.

A common fault was kicking the ball too high over the dummy's head and I lamented the loss of the stab kick of the 40's and 50's which would have been interesting to see.

Now I know you are incredibly old but look much younger than your years, but 1940 was a very long time ago.

I remember the Jack Clarke, John Birt and Hugh Mitchell stabs passes in the 1960’s that hit Ted Fordham the chest every time.

There were also an awful lot of stab passes and drop kicks that were complete flubs.

Not from Jack Clarke, John Birt and Hugh Mitchell. They were elite midfielders with a full range of kicking skills. John’s 79 and Hughie 81 but I bet they can still kick a footy. We could do worse than ask them to teach our lads the stab kick.

Yes, Hugh Mitchel, Barry Davis and even Alec Epis rarely kicked bad drop kicks. Some of the others who couldnt, didnt eg. David Shaw and Bluey Shelton. Others who lacked the skill tried and failed. It was a difficult skill and died out for obvious reasons. Probably the best drop kick I remember outside our club was Ted Whitten.

When discussing the stab pass don’t forget Thorold Merrett; Zerret & Jerrett’s great uncle.
Jack Dyer said he “could stab kick a footy right up a chook’s ar$e from 50 yards”.
He hosted the kicking competition on World of Sport.

Whatta great line.

In the 60’s-70’s there were 3 great full forwards.
They had completely different kicking styles.

Doug Wade kicked with the torp. 1057 goals 523 behinds. average 4 goals/game

Peter McKenna used the drop punt. 874 goals 470 behinds. average 4.6 goals/game

Peter Hudson used a flat punt. 727 goals 330 behinds (+more in TFL) average 5.6 goals/game
More men have walked on the moon than those who kept Hudson goalless (4).

just watch the lockets, dunstalls, Abletts, lloyd they have a lower ball drop.

Cause daniher is so tall probably needs to watch footage of Simon Madden & Salmon.

Steve Alessio???

One hell of an ugly punt, but still kicked 193 goals to 104 behinds from his 203cm and soccer playing background.