Training Wednesday 3/8/16

McKenna is almost there with the low passes. McKenna. Pretty sure people who grew up with an oval ball could master the stab.

Wouldn’t it be nice to see games relying on foot skills rather than rugby skills. Oh hang on, they might not like that in NSW & QLD. Lets just go back to tackling, but not too hard as in dangerous because that would alienate the female fanbase, nice soft friendly drop the ball or throw it kind of tackling. Yeah! Touch Rugby FTW!

Seriously though, the best team of the last few years is the best kicking team. We need to learn that skill properly and as Jackie points out we could get the jump on other teams by mastering the different types of kicks.

I suddenly feel very very young.

Thankyou thread …

Its not how well you can Kick but how you teach someone who can"t kick straight and change their kicking style so the y can kick the ball to where they want it to go.And getting that person to believe they will kick it accurately.

wot

Its not how well you can Kick but how you teach someone who can"t kick straight and change their kicking style so the y can kick the ball to where they want it to go.And getting that person to believe they will kick it accurately.

wot

I believe they said:

“Its not how well you can Kick but how you teach someone who can"t kick straight and change their kicking style so the y can kick the ball to where they want it to go.And getting that person to believe they will kick it accurately”

wot

I believe they said:

“Its not how well you can Kick but how you teach someone who can"t kick straight and change their kicking style so the y can kick the ball to where they want it to go.And getting that person to believe they will kick it accurately”

So… it’s about how well you can kick eventually.

Onya JM. Makes my day when you do these reports. No, I don’t have a life.

Ahh the ol’ worm burner stab pass, as fast as a rocket, low and straight no higher than the belly.
I played with some in the '70’s that were excellent stab kicks. Flat punts, torps & stab passes were the go.

Who was it that started the drop punt? McKenna?

I reckon anyone, anyone at all, could kick straight with the technique Ben Brown uses.
It is really simple, he just goes back a long way, gets into a trot, in a straight line at the target, uses a relatively simple, mechanical, near 2 handed ball drop, where the ball pretty much can’t skew to either side, and then just pokes it along the line, with a swing of his leg that doesn’t get out of the jogging straight run.
No matter how unnatural, Joe, or anyone else, could do that, with a bit of practice.
It wouldn’t work for a long shot, where a more natural flowing technique would be required to get maximum distance, but Brown gets it to go 40 to 45m pretty easily.
It really is pretty foolproof, and wouldn’t be hard to do.

I foresee a lot of stab kicks into the man on the mark.

I was at training a few days ago, there were a few different drills across the ground but the one closest to me was simply 1 defender 1 forward and 1 kicker. The kicker was thrown the ball and was to run backwards quickly and deliver a pass to the forward with the defender looking to spoil. I watched all the players move through the drill and what was very obvious was the top 10% kicks and the bottom 10%. I thought Redman stood out today for his kicking skills (showing both a low, flat, fast pass but also a nicely weighted soft pass) and his competitiveness.
They all looked pretty relaxed, it certainly wasn’t a really competitive session which I assume is normal for a Friday run through. JoeDan spent some time in between drills practising his left footed hook kicks and his success rate was good.

wot

I believe they said:

So… it’s about how well you can kick eventually.

I think so

Ahh the ol' worm burner stab pass, as fast as a rocket, low and straight no higher than the belly. I played with some in the '70's that were excellent stab kicks. Flat punts, torps & stab passes were the go.

Who was it that started the drop punt? McKenna?

Jack Dyer, McKenna gave it distance.

Saw John Duckworth’s goal vs Essendon at Waverley when he torped it from the centre. We paced it out after the game and it was 90 meters. Billy his little bro, was a good kick but nothing like Big John.

Saw John Duckworth's goal vs Essendon at Waverley when he torped it from the centre. We paced it out after the game and it was 90 meters. Billy his little bro, was a good kick but nothing like Big John.

I’ve never heard of John, who did he play for?
I could just google that of course but it lacks a human element.

Saw John Duckworth's goal vs Essendon at Waverley when he torped it from the centre. We paced it out after the game and it was 90 meters. Billy his little bro, was a good kick but nothing like Big John.
John Duckworth of Fitzroy could certainly roost the ball. Big Jeff Fehring showed how far someone can kick a ball when they are angry.
John Duckworth of Fitzroy could certainly roost the ball. Big Jeff Fehring showed how far someone can kick a ball when they are angry.

Jeff Ferhing was the only person who kicked from the center of the Cohuna ground for a goal, it was in a school match, just before he headed to Geelong. The ground was a bit longer then the MCG (according to local legend)!

Have a look on you tube at jeff fehring kicking one at moorabin. he kicks from 2 metres defensive side of centre and the ball bounces on the goal line. and it was only worth 6 points!

John Duckworth moved to SA and won the Magarey Medal. A booming kick !

I’ve never heard of John, who did he play for?
I could just google that of course but it lacks a human element.

John Duckworth was Billy Duckworth’s older brother. He was from WA and called up for National Service in 1970, was at Pucka and played half the season for Fitzroy. Went to Vietnam and then I the played for the Roy’s a few year later.

I reckon Billy was a better player, but John was very good for the time.

A common fault was kicking the ball too high over the dummy's head and I lamented the loss of the stab kick of the 40's and 50's which would have been interesting to see.

Now I know you are incredibly old but look much younger than your years, but 1940 was a very long time ago.

I remember the Jack Clarke, John Birt and Hugh Mitchell stabs passes in the 1960’s that hit Ted Fordham the chest every time.

There were also an awful lot of stab passes and drop kicks that were complete flubs.

Not from Jack Clarke, John Birt and Hugh Mitchell. They were elite midfielders with a full range of kicking skills. John’s 79 and Hughie 81 but I bet they can still kick a footy. We could do worse than ask them to teach our lads the stab kick.

Yes, Hugh Mitchel, Barry Davis and even Alec Epis rarely kicked bad drop kicks. Some of the others who couldnt, didnt eg. David Shaw and Bluey Shelton. Others who lacked the skill tried and failed. It was a difficult skill and died out for obvious reasons. Probably the best drop kick I remember outside our club was Ted Whitten.

When discussing the stab pass don’t forget Thorold Merrett; Zerret & Jerrett’s great uncle.
Jack Dyer said he “could stab kick a footy right up a chook’s ar$e from 50 yards”.
He hosted the kicking competition on World of Sport.