Travel Thread

How was it?

I’ve heard this year crowds are down. They aren’t even filling it.
It’s a La Liga game and someone has suggested I can just turn up.

I’ll check out the website. Thanks.

You could turn up but you may miss out or only get ordinary seats. I wouldn’t take the chance. There are no actual tickets for sale to general public so the safest bet is through the official site for resale’s. A lot of touts and scammers who will try to sell fakes so I’d go with the official site. You will love it

If you’re in Kansai (Osaka/Kyoto area) don’t pass up a day trip to nearby Nara. The park with deer and Todai-ji temple with the giant Buddha are fantastic.

Beware! Mrs Gwilty was bitten on her upper thigh by a deer at Nara. The beast thought she had food in a pocket of her jeans.

1 Like

Hmm, I might try that excuse with Mrs Fox

2 Likes

[quote=“Aceman, post:1828, topic:81”]
Sri Lankan airways are doing Melbourne to London fares for only $1100 in Economy
good price if you could get a week stopover on the way through or back

Yeah not sure about the stop overs. Was just playing around on their site as we are looking at the Maldives in October and it was actually cheaper to go to London almost.
Several airlines are doing Mel-London for around the $1000 mark in October including Qatar and Singapore who would be my favourites but Royal Brunei often does fares to London for about $900 and they are good to fly with

Thanks for the advice!! Russia has always been on my bucket list but is probably the most nervous I’ve been about visiting a country!

I am planning to take my girlfriend away for the weekend for her birthday (on this Friday), somewhere two hours away from Melbourne, like Healesville.

I’ve looked at Airbnb but I am not really satisfied with the list - except for the places that have been already booked. There are some places that look really good on Tripadvisor, though.

So, does anyone know of a nice cottage or a little house in those areas or better websites for accommodation in those areas? And any tips about Healesville that I might not find on google?

Thanks in advance.

Sell me on Hong Kong.

I’ve been to Singapore, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Ho Chi Min City, India… basically I’ve seen a lot of SE Asia. Is HK worth seeing if you’ve seen a lot of this stuff (street food, humidity) already?

1 Like

Yes in a word.

The ferry ride across HK harbour is spectacular, visit Victoria Peak, take a bus to Stanley, perv on the exotic girls in Wan Chai bars and take a hydrofoil to Macau for the day.

I don’t like shopping and I don’t like humidity. But I loved Hong Kong (a dozen years ago). It’s surprisingly easy to get away to pleasant greenery/a random island and some odd fauna.

HK beats them all IMO.
Go for a walk along the harbour and avenue of stars and definitely take the star ferry across the harbour at least once. Ride the peak tram to the top of Victoria Peak for spectacular views of the City especially around dusk and you can catch the symphony of lights nightly which is a pretty cool sight. At the peak you can walk around Lugard road which is a small 1 lane road around the peak that is virtually car free and it gives you various viewpoints over the rest of the island. Take the bus down to Stanley for the markets and a walk along the boardwalk, the views from the bus are amazing ( try to sit in the very front row of the top deck).
Plenty of free parklands to walk around right in the City which are quite cool and have plenty of shade. Take the Ngong Ping cable car up to the big Buddha and stroll around the village which is pretty impressive. Definitely head over to Macau for a day or two and I recommend getting to a night horse race meet at Happy Valley. Take the bus down to Aberdeen and have a feed at Jumbos at least once and if you have kids Ocean Park and Disneyland are pretty cool. Absolutely heaps to do in HK and can even do a day trip to Shenzhen or Guangzhou

Go to Lantau and take the cable car to the Big Buddha, plenty of hiking. If you can go late November to December the weather is fine and not too humid

Second everyone else’s thoughts re Hong Kong. Surprisingly good hiking there. Well worth the visit

Take a ferry to one of the outlying islands (like Cheng Chau) and you’ll feel like you’re in a fishing village.
HK has so much variety for so little footprint.
Love it. Going back again over Easter. 3 and a bit grand for 3 airfares, 5 nights hotel accom and airport transfers doesn’t dent the bank account too much… And like Japan, its public transport runs like clockwork.

What he said !

Hong Kong is Asia at its best.

1 Like

Make sure you go to Happy Valley races on Wednesday night. Great night for drinking & mingling, no need to bet either.
PS Ocean World was very good also. Get there early & go to the top part first.
PPSS If you go to Macau, take your passport, we forgot & couldn’t go for the day.

That is legit amazing :smiley: did not know it was real i just used the first google image i found

1 Like

I am going to Europe this year and looking for recommendations of things you must do in the following locations:

Edinburgh

Cork

Budapest