Travel Thread

Because we need one...

@mrjez if I may ask, how did you get to Ljubljana? Thought I'd able to fly easily from Milan, but there's no direct flights from there, nor Rome or even Split. Seems very difficult...
Not sure if things have changed as it was nearly 4 years since I was there but there was only about 4 or 5 airlines that serviced the airport at the time. We flew in from Munich and stayed for a couple of days before flying out to Sarajevo. Really enjoyed Ljubljana, hope to get back to that neck of the woods and check out more of Slovenia
Anyone been to Slovenia?

Thinking of 6 weeks in UK / Europe next year:
Visit friends in UK.
Maybe a few days on the South West Coastal Path in Devon / Cornwall.
Maybe Istrian Peninsular in Croatia.
Then a couple of weeks in Slovenia.
And finish with a couple of days in Venice.

I stayed about 4 days in Ljubljana. Beautiful little city, nice castle, good river setting, cute little streets, not a bad nightlife scene.
Lake Bled absolutely blew my mind, the most picturesque place I’ve ever been. Just gorgeous. The Julian Alps made a wonderful backdrop. I hiked to a gorge nearby as well.
The Skocjan Caves are ace. It’s a great, underrated country, closer to Austria in comparison than to Croatia.

Sounds good.
Did you do day trips from Ljubljana to Bled / caves? I’ll probably hire a car & spend a couple of weeks.
Can you recommend any accommodation?

Yes, both day trips, but I wish I’d given myself more time to explore the Bled area. I stayed in a youth hostel (this was about 9 years ago) so I’m not sure about accommodation.

I’m with mrjez - Ljubjana is a great little city. Been there twice. But I wouldn’t want to do anything more then a few days there as it’s not huge. Depends what your into though. Bled is a must! It will be a blast for sure!

Speaking of venice I was there a month ago and besides a few “must see’s” I didn’t have the best time there… as I wasn’t prepared for the waves of tourists. Intense.

Venice is worth going too, but I’ve been once and not felt the need to return like I have with Paris or Ortigia in Siracusa, the latter of which I feel a massive affinity for. I’m sure I’ll go again one day, but not until I have children who want to go lol. Florence I felt like this even more so. Further to that Venetians are a bit grumpy as the city is swarming with tourists.

Anyway don’t let us put you off Gnik, Venice is definitely worth it.

Venice is down my best cities list a bit, but still a beauty. As a backpacker I found it pricey and moved on after a couple of days. I was travelling alone and chasing great photo ops, it provides plenty.
@mrjez if I may ask, how did you get to Ljubljana? Thought I'd able to fly easily from Milan, but there's no direct flights from there, nor Rome or even Split. Seems very difficult...
I took a train from Venice. I can't remember how long that took, but I remember enjoying the Slovenian countryside.
Just got my itinerary for next month - business trip/40th birthday to USA/Canada.

Business:
Seattle, Washington state
Boston, Massachusetts
Washington, DC
St George , Utah
Victoria , BC, Canada

40th:
Na Pail Coast , Kauai, Hawaii
Hilo, Big Island, Hawaii
Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii

Really looking forward most to kayaking and camping along Na Pali coast, going on a lava trek in Hilo, and partying in Honolulu.

Solid brag.

My great grandad always said “if you’re gonna brag, make it a good one.”

• I dont really have a great grand father,
Exactly one month till I head to Greece, I wonder what currency I'll need?
None the way they are heading

@mrjez if I may ask, how did you get to Ljubljana? Thought I’d able to fly easily from Milan, but there’s no direct flights from there, nor Rome or even Split. Seems very difficult…

I can beat that :stuck_out_tongue:
EDIT: It doesn’t work at the moment, I promise it’s a good photo :frowning:

Because we need one...

Blood Oath.

My better half wants us to go Mexico next year. Any tips on best times, places, ways to get there etc. (I like the idea but prefered Sri Lanka and Laos but I got outvoted, which is interesting considering I thought there were 2 votes involved. Turned out there was only one valid vote and it wasn't mine.)

Mexico is great. 

Its a good idea to time the trip for the Day Of The Dead celebrations (31 Oct). 

We enjoyed Mexico City for its vibe & history. The pyramids at Teotihuacan are def worth a visit, as is the Anthropological Museum (Aztecs, Mayans etc.).

Also headed to Yucatan Peninsula for beaches, Mayan ruins & colonial towns (Merida, Valladolid).  Yucatecan food is distinctive & v. different from the usual tex-mex fare we associate with Mexico.        

If you have time, consider Guatemala & Cuba while you are there.

Mexico is great. 

Its a good idea to time the trip for the Day Of The Dead celebrations (31 Oct). 

We enjoyed Mexico City for its vibe & history. The pyramids at Teotihuacan are def worth a visit, as is the Anthropological Museum (Aztecs, Mayans etc.).

Also headed to Yucatan Peninsula for beaches, Mayan ruins & colonial towns (Merida, Valladolid).  Yucatecan food is distinctive & v. different from the usual tex-mex fare we associate with Mexico.        

If you have time, consider Guatemala & Cuba while you are there.

Cheers, Grik. Can you comment on the internal transport options in Mexico? Is it easy to get around? We're not at all keen on group tours, although shorter tours eg 1 to 3 days, once we get there might be OK.

Well I can only comment on what we did across a 6 week trip:

Flew into Mex City.

In Mex city used the Metro & taxis & did a couple of day tours organised through the hotel. 

Flew to Guatemala City.

Stayed in Antigua.

Did a few side trips organised through local agents (e.g. to Lake Atitlan, Chichicastenango, Day of Dead kites festival at Santiago Sacetepecuez). 

Bus to Tikal.

Flight to Cancun (good transport hub, but get the hell out).

In Yucatan stayed in Playa del Carmel, Valladolid and Merida using local buses to get between.

Flight to Havana.

Stayed Havana, Trinidad, Santa Clara?, Vinales using tourist & local buses.

So yeah,bottom line - if you have the time it is easy to organise things while you are there either through local agents or using public transport.  Public transport can mean anything from chicken buses to luxury coaches aimed at tourists depending on the route & the depth of your pockets. 

Great info, Grik. Plenty for us to mull over now. Cheers.

mexico is great. just make sure when you book a hotel that it is in fact NOT am adults only swingers resort. unless youre into that sort of stuff i guess

Speaking of travelling, was wandering the streets of San Diego 3 weeks ago in my Essendon polo and got pulled up by a lady who is involved in the Milwaukee Bombers AFL team. Never would of thought I'd be chatting to a Milwaukee native in downtown San Diego about Essendon and the AFL.........also saw a Essendon polo when wandering through Disneyland a few days later, you never know where in the world your going to run into a Bombers supporter  :D

Oh and San Diego is a beautiful city, if you get the chance you should swing by, I'll be heading back again.

Well I can only comment on what we did across a 6 week trip:

Flew into Mex City.

In Mex city used the Metro & taxis & did a couple of day tours organised through the hotel. 

Flew to Guatemala City.

Stayed in Antigua.

Did a few side trips organised through local agents (e.g. to Lake Atitlan, Chichicastenango, Day of Dead kites festival at Santiago Sacetepecuez). 

Bus to Tikal.

Flight to Cancun (good transport hub, but get the hell out).

In Yucatan stayed in Playa del Carmel, Valladolid and Merida using local buses to get between.

Flight to Havana.

Stayed Havana, Trinidad, Santa Clara?, Vinales using tourist & local buses.

So yeah,bottom line - if you have the time it is easy to organise things while you are there either through local agents or using public transport.  Public transport can mean anything from chicken buses to luxury coaches aimed at tourists depending on the route & the depth of your pockets. 

As I say, Mexico is great! 

I’m heading to Africa in a little while, SO MANY NEEDLES.

I'm heading to Africa in a little while, SO MANY NEEDLES.

Just drink beer this trip.

looks like a trip to Bangkok is in order , the missus getting a BOOB job :blink: ! so i guess ill tag along for some cold Chang Special and a week of awesome curry ;)

On a serious note though i wonder how much the travel insurance would be for such a mission?

looks like a trip to Bangkok is in order , the missus getting a BOOB job :blink: ! so i guess ill tag along for some cold Chang Special and a week of awesome curry ;)

On a serious note though i wonder how much the travel insurance would be for such a mission?

As an aside if you or your kids need any dental work, get it done while you are there too at a fraction of what it costs in Oz.Â