TV Ratings & Crowds

With credit to CJohns' twitterz, Essendon has the longest running streak of home games above 30k at 55 (since 2010, Brisbane rd 21)

I hope the streak doesn’t end in the next 7 weeks. It would have to be at risk this week, next week against the Bulldogs and in the game against Adelaide.

Almost certain we had 28k against Adelaide last year.

Edit- Wikipedia says 30, 948. Have my doubts.

With credit to CJohns' twitterz, Essendon has the longest running streak of home games above 30k at 55 (since 2010, Brisbane rd 21)

I hope the streak doesn’t end in the next 7 weeks. It would have to be at risk this week, next week against the Bulldogs and in the game against Adelaide.

Almost certain we had 28k against Adelaide last year.

Edit- Wikipedia says 30, 948. Have my doubts.

That was the #backourboys game.

-They change the rules every farking year, sometimes half a year.
-Umpires and MRP inconsistent as fark.
-Sub rule sucks.
-Commentary is awful. A lot of bias calls and rubbish spread everywhere. Only Sandy, Eddie, Huddo and Dennis still entertaining.
-Too many games on a Saturday. Why not have 2 Friday Night games instead?

Edit - sorry didn’t see the previous posts on page 2 before I published.

Did anyone get the AFL fan survey? Interesting part were the questions about the length of the game and in particular how much time on there is (ie 20 min quarter but 11mins time on). They also asked about the game as a spectacle with such leading questions about the amount of stoppages and flow of the game. They are clearly aware of a growing disenchantment with the AFL but what they do now is anyone’s guess. Personally they have get rid of the sub, no limits on rotations and reduce the interchange to 2. Forwards and good players need to be protected as they are constantly blocked or held well off the ball. This year I have only properly watched Essendon (supporter) and Western Bulldogs (like the way they play the game) and half watched the other teams. I have hardly read the sports sections of the papers as most of the journalists are absolute rubbish.

I sometimes wonder who is running this game. And perhaps the laws of the game committee need to have a few people experienced in business process review so they can methodically work through ALL the consequences of rule changes before making a decision on what to change.

Demetriou - King of the unintended consequences.

I support KB on a limit on interchange.

Yep. No one agrees with that idiot on anything but he’s right on this.

I wish instead of asking “how can we change the game” we could ask “how can we change the game and ignore business realities”.

• Almost none, or no interchange
  • 17 games a season
  • Shut down GC, GWS and Brisbane

if you do the 3rd one, how do you implement the 2nd one?

I wish instead of asking “how can we change the game” we could ask “how can we change the game and ignore business realities”.

• 17 games a season

Good question.

Okay, 14 games a season, even better.

everytime i hear bruce commentate i turn the tv off
everytime some poor ■■■■■■■ runs down an opponent and doesnt get paid i turn the tv off

they happen often enough that i dont even bother turn it on

simple as that really

The reference to oversaturation is also completely relevant, as the afl clearly"plants" people in certain places for marketing. E.g. you pick up a really farking ■■■■ newspaper, football on the front and on the back page. Is there anything else going on in the world? Yeah but that won’t sell papers to ■■■■■■■ melburnians. Then you’ve got the major epic farkwits on MMM. It’s as though nothing else in the world exists, every morning every night it’s football. Perhaps being a bit older I pick up more on this stuff than I did 15 years ago, but surely it wasn’t this bad? The afl is just becoming more and more entrenched in the Melbourne boys club, they are infiltrating everything and it’s completely ridiculous.

• 17 games a season

Good question.

Okay, 14 games a season, even better.

Or 28 games and no preseason comp

Ratings would go up per-game if every game meant something.

Rohan is right the AFL are concerned, but not for the reasons he highlights. They’re concerned about how much money they make from the broadcast rights. TV audiences declining, coupled with less goals scored (less goals = less ads) impacts how much Seven. Nine or Ten are willing/able to pay for the broadcast rights because the revenue they can make off the broadcast is being reduced.

Another thing that ■■■■■ me to no end these days is the umpires. Not so much their sheer, utter incompetence, as that’s a given, but these carnts that think that we go to the game to watch them perform.

Since when did they become personalities in their own right?

Farkin Razor Ray paying free kicks from 100 mtrs away. Peter Carey dining out on his intercept mark for years afterwards.

Fark off and just control the game you farkin twerps. They shouldn’t be even noticed during a game.

If I wanted to watch a stage managed result... I'd go watch wrestling.

I think I actually am growing to dislike the game of AFL now. Too soft. Blokes getting cheap frees. No reward for good tackles. Backs scrag the hell out of a forward, but a forward gets zero room for error, unless he is an AFL favourite. The gladiatorial nature of the game has largely been removed imo.

Essendon though… I love this club more than ever.

If I wanted to watch a stage managed result... I'd go watch wrestling.

I think I actually am growing to dislike the game of AFL now. Too soft. Blokes getting cheap frees. No reward for good tackles. Backs scrag the hell out of a forward, but a forward gets zero room for error, unless he is an AFL favourite. The gladiatorial nature of the game has largely been removed imo.

Essendon though… I love this club more than ever.

what WWE is staged? noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Definitely a big turn off for me watching the game on tv are the commentators.... They make any game unwatchable. I have always hated the way the camera's rarely show wide shots - so you can't see the way the play is being set up. Going to the footy is by far the best way to watch ... unfortunately for those living interstate (NT) it's the only way to watch my team. The tv commentators are so woeful I can't bear to listen to any of them.. esp mcguire, 'dermie', dwayne 'rustle', and brad johnson. So mostly I switch off or mute or listen to the radio where possible (at least they have to follow the play).

Yup.
Always get the feeling there’s some beret wearing wanker of a director in the production room at 7, still trying to show those know-it-alls at the film school that he’s an auteur, by using as many different shots, as quickly as possible.

Would be a much better production if they just used the normal shot all the time the ball is in play.

the AFL game is boring and I agree with others. love the Bombers and will continue to watch them, but the AFL is rubbish and I never watch any other games.

For all the excitement and spectacular skills promoted usually the games today are no more interesting than a Nil all draw in soccer or league game with neither side scoring more than 10 for the game. Difference is, traditionally those codes have placed much greater restriction on general field play and field positioning than AFL, however all the rules changes and ‘innovative’ coaching our game is now just dull. They might as well be playing in the mud.

These are real problems and then as mentioned, the hype and waffle by our new generation of ‘special’ commentators and analysts pretending that the game is remotely interesting is all too much. they are not promoting the game to americans, its an Australian game, no need to talk rubbish.

The reference to oversaturation is also completely relevant, as the afl clearly"plants" people in certain places for marketing. E.g. you pick up a really farking ■■■■ newspaper, football on the front and on the back page. Is there anything else going on in the world? Yeah but that won't sell papers to ■■■■■■■ melburnians. Then you've got the major epic farkwits on MMM. It's as though nothing else in the world exists, every morning every night it's football. Perhaps being a bit older I pick up more on this stuff than I did 15 years ago, but surely it wasn't this bad? The afl is just becoming more and more entrenched in the Melbourne boys club, they are infiltrating everything and it's completely ridiculous.
Where's that MMM promo shot of like 50 white middle-aged blokes in suits? STRAYAAAA
In terms of watching the game, I enjoy watching Fox - Sandy Roberts is good.

Dare I say it at times Eddie is good to, Baring in mind this is comparing him to the likes of BT & CO

GTFOOH!

If there’s one thing…just ONE THING…I cannot live without, it’s the …

MEGAWAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

(oh, and that stupid farkin ‘lab’ crap on farktell)

In terms of watching the game, I enjoy watching Fox - Sandy Roberts is good.

Dare I say it at times Eddie is good to, Baring in mind this is comparing him to the likes of BT & CO

GTFOOH!

Nah Eddie (comparatively) is awesome. Emphasis on the comparatively.
So is Sandy, he used to be terrible, but he embarrasses some of the monkeys they have now.