TV reception issues

So before I spend money on an antenna technician, I thought I’d ask the question here…

I have 3 TVs in my house and 6 months ago had no problems with any of them. Recently though, two sets have started to have receptions problems. In one room, nine’s channels started breaking up regularly and then disappeared forcing me to retune the set. Nine’s channels still break up.

In another room nine’s channels are fine, but I get no sbs channels, ten’s channels regularly break up and seven’s break up occasionally.

The last room all channels are fine.

So what is going on here, is it an antenna issue, cabling issue or something else?

How old is the antenna? You may need to upgrade it to a digital one ( you can get them for about $80-$100).

Have you tried running a new channel search on each set?

Have you checked the coax cable in the roof? Maybe a critter has chewed into the line somewhere.

I have a digital antenna, 6 years old approx. Channel search didn’t help in recovering sbs. As for critters, I haven’t checked but extremely unlikely we have never had critters

Maybe your reception is fine but your eyes are stuffed.

I had that problem a while back with Channel 7 as did a lot of others in a range of areas on the east coast. It was not the aerial or tuning. Seems there was something amiss with Channel 7 signals, occasionally SBS. It eventually righted itself. Neighbours who ran the channels through Pay TV had no problems.
You could try contacting 9 or SBS to check if they are doing something with signals in your area , or google signal Channel 9 problems.
I do have a booster thing in one room connected to power point and antenna outlet closer to the roof antenna, otherwise I do not get any signals.

Do people still watch commercial television

We had a similar problem a few years back with 2 sets at different ends of the house. Connected a signal booster and it’s been fine ever since.

Old cable and old sockets in the house will not go well with new antenna, sometimes a booster installed in the old cabling can bost the input signal enough to compensate, and On the antenna, obviously a new digital antenna is critical.
Also can be height on the positioning of the antenna . A higher mast can make the difference if you are in a lower lying area.

Possibly the coax splitter box.

Would doubt it is a reception issue as you are having the same issue on different channels, which would suggest to me that it is not a problem receiving the signal.

Easier enough to fix if so, as long as the electrician left enough slack in the cables. If you do it yourself make sure the foil that is inside the outer casing is not touching the copper connections, otherwise you won’t be seeing anything at all.

What’s a digital antenna??

So it turns out I needed a new antenna after all, cheers for the tips

What's a digital antenna??

It’s when you stick your fingers up on your head and imitate a Martian.

What's a digital antenna??

It’s when you stick your fingers up on your head and imitate a Martian.

Uncle Martin, is that you?

Would doubt it is a reception issue as you are having the same issue on different channels, which would suggest to me that it is not a problem receiving the signal.

Easier enough to fix if so, as long as the electrician left enough slack in the cables. If you do it yourself make sure the foil that is inside the outer casing is not touching the copper connections, otherwise you won’t be seeing anything at all.

that old foil cable isn’t much chop for newer digital tech.
RG6 quad is the go. Has a braided metallic shield

that old foil cable isn’t much chop for newer digital tech.
RG6 quad is the go. Has a braided metallic shield

Should we upgrade our tin foil hats too?

Do people still watch commercial television

Excluding Fox Footy for the live footy I can’t remember the time I tuned into watch live FTA or Fox, or even a recording. I watch Q&A from the ABC on YouTube in my own time, the rest is Netflix, torrents and YouTube (people don’t realise how good YT is as a TV substitute)

Actually I do.
Cricket rules.