Ultimate Australian Compilation

Hey Baakkeerrr
I used to think the same thing.
BUT
The Venue was on the Esplanade- it used to be called the Earls Court Ballroom.
The actual ballroom upstairs still had an old sprung floor, so when the gig got a tad raucous, you’d be literally jumping.
Ad there was a nightclub downstairs at the back, with a smaller showroom at the front as you walked in.
Caught some great shows there in the 80’s

• Midnight Oil
  • Icehouse
  • Jim Barnes and John Swan
  • The Cult
  • Los Lobos
  • The Monkees
    And I’m sure I’m forgetting more that I care to admit.
    I do remember though there was a weird “dancin dude” who was always in the rear niteclub, ( back past the kitchen). He’d just dance by himself all nite. Every nite. Hmmm.
1 Like

Cheers- thanks for the clarification. I was never quite sure whether they were the same place or not.
I saw Icehouse at The Venue in late 1987 or early 1988 - can’t quite remember. Was that the same gig you saw?
I also saw The Cult there, which remains l the loudest concert I’ve ever been to (well, that and Cheap Trick at The Palace in early 1988). The whole venue was rattling… what you said about the sprung floor is absolutely spot-on. Between that and the rattling of the bass in your ribcage it felt like you were in an ultrasonicating machine.
I’ll leave it there, having been admonished by Bomberblitz for overposting… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I saw the Cult there too. I recall their tattoos where coming off with their sweating. Also saw the Dead Kennedys in St Kilda, but it was at the Seaview. Good times…

3 Likes

Yes, yes I have.

You forgot the “Bricklayers Arms” in Essendon.

2 Likes

There’s heaps missing!

Saw Lee play at the Cranbourne races a few weeks back. He was doing an INXS tribute. Races got abandoned but the band still played and the punters were juiced up and ready to rock. There were certainly some wasabi requests!

2 Likes

Calypso - Spiderbait
! (The Song Formerly Known As) - Regurgitator
Greg! The Stop Sign!! - TISM
Cry In Shame - Johnny Diesel and the Injectors
October Grey - The Screaming Jets
Take a Long Line - The Angels
Prisoner of Society - The Living End
Tomorrow - Silverchair
Don’t Listen to the Radio - The Vines
Good Mornin’ - You Am I
Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Chemical Heart - Grinspoon
Just Keep Walking - INXS
Let There Be Rock - AC/DC
Power and the Passion - Midnight Oil
Throw Your Arms Around Me - Hunters and Collectors
Mean to Me - Crowded House
(I’m) Stranded - The Saints

Deluxe Bonus Track:
To Love Somebody - The Bee Gees

3 Likes

You’d think Swoods would’ve included Dead Eyes Opened.

2 Likes

Evelyn 100% should be there. Probably the Bendigo too.

Where was the band room (?) in the GB?

Ooh… many, many years since I went there (and not regularly without drink) but I seem to recall entering at the front corner of the pub, walking through the front bar, through a doorway to the left (which then put you at the backside of the front bar) walking through that area, and then through a door to the right.

It wasn’t a big band area, but many nights were spent seeing acts like Checkerboard Lounge and The Warner Brothers. I could be getting it mixed up with another pub, but I think we also saw Things Of Stone & Wood v.early days, well before they were a signed act.

Oh, yeah I get it now.

I’ve seen a couple of acoustic ish acts in there maybe 10 ish years ago, but they were in the far right/back corner, stage right next to the dunny entrance (very glamorous), not really where you’d put anyone loud.

Can’t remember ever being in the left corner. Might be configured as a function room now.

I miss scungy pubs.

1 Like

Still gigging locally.

3 good band bars around Moorabbin:

Arco Bar
Lucky 13
Eddies Bandroom (Ebr)

Do they play all of the hit?

2 Likes

Not enough Powerderfinger or Savage Garden.

I was never a huge fan of ToSaW to be honest. I mean, they were OK but that whole roll-call of Melbourne landmarks thing and the widdly-diddly violin got a bit old. It was more that a lass I was chasing was heavily into them…

Speaking of Moorabbin, I saw a few killer gigs at Transformers when that was kicking… Hoodoo Gurus a couple of times, Boom Crash Opera a few times, Hunters & Collectors. It was quite a good venue for gigs.

1 Like

Yeah, the GB room was small. Saw Propagandhi there in ‘93 (?) and maybe a couple of other punk shows around that time, don’t remember it being a destination much after that.

I went to it regularly in the v.late 80’s and up to 1992-ish. It was a regular place to go after I’d done the sound for a mate’s gigs at The Punters Club (he lived in Richmond).

I went a handful of times in the mid-late 90’s but never saw a band, so live shows may well have wound up by then.

I’ve just Googled it and discovered it’s now a poncey bar/restaurant with a totally different name, with DJ’s for “entertainment” (I wonder if the report in @frosty 's article classifies those as gigs?)

1 Like

Eighteen’s hard. I’m keeping it to band releases and mainly ‘rock’, as someone upthread was bemoaning bands/music post 2000, that too. Anyways, have at it ET:

Dallas Crane - Dirty Hearts
Magic Dirt - Pace It
Rocket Science - Being Followed
Eddy Current Suppression Ring - Which Way To Go
Amyl and the Sniffers - Cup of Destiny
The Mess Hall - Keep Walking
Little Birdy - Come On Come on
The Vasco Era - Oh Sam
Little Red - Coca Cola
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Cellophane
The Grates - 19-20-20
Black Cab - Summer Love
The Living End - Pictures In The Mirror
The Preatures - Is This How You Feel?
You Am I - Get Up
The Sleepy Jackson - Good Dancers
Even - Gold Sunday
Midnight Juggernauts - Into The Galaxy

4 Likes
  1. Breakfast at Sweethearts - Chisel
  2. My Happiness - Powderfinger
  3. Torn - Natalie Imbruglia
  4. Rush You - Baby Animals
  5. Dirty Deeds - ACDC
  6. Run to Paradise - Choirboys
  7. US Forces - Oils
  8. Man of Colours - Icehouse
  9. Horses - Daryl Braithwaite
  10. Bradman - Paul Kelly
  11. Greg! The Stop Sign!! - TISM
  12. You’re the Voice - John Farnham
  13. Working Class Man - Barnsey
  14. Prisoner of Society - Living End
  15. Under the Milky Way - The Church
  16. Somebody That I Used to Know - Gotye
  17. Tomorrow - Silverchair
  18. Jessie’s Girl - Rick Springfield

Of the top of my head… of course if we were including Kiwi songs… there would be Split Enz, Crowded House, Dragon, Push Push and of course … Sir Dave Dobbyn

a1vE10

2 Likes