Umpires Bias

"They're both free kicks" - @camluke

"That is the reason that fans want to tear the roof off Etihad" - @adamcooney17

How did you see these moments?#7AFL #ArmchairExperts pic.twitter.com/hMgM1MxCh6

— 7AFL (@7AFL) July 27, 2018
1 Like

Apart from the couple of howlers (Parish 50m, Hurley, in the neck), the umpiring was about right.

2 Likes

Couple of holding the balls as well.

1 Like

But they went both ways. Essendon had more of the ball and laid more tackles than Sydney so it stands to reason that they were favoured by the free count. Didn’t notice the maggoting much to be honest.

We got two lucky free kicks out of the middle that were soft (undisciplined but soft)

Have seen a few people complain about the free kick Franklin got that he got a goal from, that was a free kick every day of the week. Hurley couldn’t do anything about it, was smart play by Franklin though.

Probably but I don’t seriously think anyone can claim the maggotry influenced the outcome or even came close to having an influence.

2 Likes

Not in the way it ended up but you can always argue it can change momentum at crucial times

Eg: maybe those 2 early tackles that should have been paid HTB go to us and we kick 2 goals. One ended up being sydney’s goal so effectively a 3 goal turnaround suddenly it’s 4 goals to 1 at 1/4 time.
Just using that as a general example, not saying it affected the result last night but it another game it may have.

I reckon they get told different things week to week, last week that would have been holding the ball. They probably get told to maybe give the player a bit more time to get rid of it so the umpire over-corrects and gives them even longer. In the meantime, us fans are clueless because we say the same thing week to week but get interpreted differently.

As much as I despise the AFL even I have my doubts that they search the country for the 30 dumbest humans and make them umpires. If they could just have a set of rules and stick to them and not change the interpretation week to week then we would all be happy

3 Likes

lol only on this ■■■■■■ forum could we smash them in the free kicks and still be rorted. you people and your tin foil hats

2 Likes
5 Likes

Initially Sydney goals were dominated by umpire or EFC stuff-ups (or, in one case, a ridiculous bounce). Essendon’s goals came from a more varied range of sources.

Sydney’s luck and momentum eventually ran out.

1 Like

well if natrat says it, it must be a rort! let me just adjust my tin foil hat

1 Like

Bags holding the ball when it was between the legs of the Swans player on the ground.

How about using your eyes and not looking at the stats sheet? Only a fool sees something as simplistic as “we had more frees therefore we had a good run”.

Frees are not supposed to be even. If you have the ball more chances are you’ll win more frees, if you lay more tackles chances are you’ll win more holding the balls. We were killed numerous times with blatant holding the ball frees missed inside our 50m and that Jones one was unforgivable.

6 Likes

The umpiring was fkn terrible.

That free kick Stringer got late on the forward flank was one of the worst decisions I’ve seen and was a proper square up/nothing favour to the home crowd.

3 Likes

The deliberate against Rampe? If so…get your hand off it. As deliberate as you like.

Nope. Although I remember thinking that one was a bit lucky (can’t remember though).

I don’t even know what it was technically for. Stringer and a Swan were leading to the forward flank and just kinda clattered into each other.

Just watched the replay, lot of bemused commentary on free kicks not paid for us (and a couple that were paid to the Swans).

I subscribe to the umpires umpiring to their own expectations. Essentially it’s confirmation bias. The media hasn’t regarded us as a serious these at all. Only two weeks ago I heard Nathan Bourke brazenly flip off the suggestion that Sydney would lose to us.

We generated 20 tackles inside 50 on Friday night. I don’t think we got one free from those.

As the media starts to pump us up a bit and start getting gushy over the likes of Smith, Fanta and tippa (and it’s starting to happen as they’re looking for new love children to replace the likes of rioli) you watch the umps start to blow the whistle a bit more in their favour.

They will start to expect us to win and expect us to tackle inside 50 and confirmation bias will start kicking.

2 Likes

Umpiring was fine in my book. The Franklin push on Hurley should’ve been penalised and Walla’s tackle on Jones, but there were many obvious ones not paid to Sydney so it tends to even out.

I’m going to restate what I always say in these umpire threads. If you are one of these people who perpetually howl at the umpires, jeer them when they mess up the centre bounce, etc then YOU are the problem. Are you aware how difficult it is to get kids to take up umpiring, and can you at least stop and think for one second about how our culture of umpire abuse therefore effects the standard of umpiring?

It’s the same with the media, constantly focusing on umpiring errors. If a player (salary ~$300k) messes up a kick then it might get replayed but probably will simply be passed over … "Poor kick by Heppell, mopped up by Grundy who handballs to … " but when an umpire (salary $150k) makes an error you’re looking at half a dozen replays, derision from the crowd and the media, a special segment on evening footy shows etc etc.

Free kick count isn’t everything, I agree, but overall we did ok out of the umpiring on Friday.

4 Likes