US politics - cooked

Not a specific one, but….

Vaccines for Prevention of Leprosy

https://www.internationaltextbookofleprosy.org › chapter
](Vaccines for Prevention of Leprosy | International Textbook of Leprosy)

Although the BCG vaccine was introduced as a tuberculosis (TB) vaccine in 1921, BCG immunization has been recognized to contribute to protection against leprosy

4 Likes

That would make some sense. Causative agents for leprosy and TB are both mycobacterium (flashback of acid-fast stains during micro studies), so some cross-protection could occur.

2 Likes

Well there is variant of the BCG vaccine used against TB, that has been effective against leprosy.

There isn’t one for being a douche either but here we are.

12 Likes

Does it actually get used for leprosy, though? My guess would be that in populations where leprosy is an issue, so is TB, and you’d be using the BCG vaccine anyway.

But it’s just a guess - I actually have zero clue about this, I’ve never really read much about leprosy.

My reading is that it was in South America but not elsewhere.

1 Like

EFA. Nothing else needs saying.

1 Like

Aaron? Aaron is that you?

1 Like

You know you have no arguments when you’re resorting to these lame insults. At least try make it funny

Not really. It’s the only relevant thing to the discussion.

YOU WOULD APPRECIATE TEH VACCINES IF YOU CAME ACROSS A LEPER!!!

Yeah cool story, no vaccines for leprocy so just crocodile tears without any substance

You can’t appreciate the usefulness of vaccines if you’re too stupid to understand how they actually work

5 Likes

There was a significant section of The Motorcycle Diaries about Che Guevara’s discovery of poorer, disadvantaged people in South America after his relatively privileged upbringing in BA that covered lepers and leprosy. My recollection is that it was on an island in the Orinoco (but not sure), but with Che being a qualified doctor, he was able to use his knowledge.

2 Likes

I don’t think those words mean what you think they mean.

Dad of a Mate of mine from west of Ballarat was the nicest bloke. I only ever saw him as a heavily limping cripple in the 80s. I had no idea he’d been sporty.

Turns out he had played in 1949 as a 20 year old winger in Ararat’s first flag in 30 years, and had always been a gifted athlete. Then he spent over 12 months including his 21st birthday in hospital on his back with polio. Only found this out through the eulogy.

Yeah vaccines - big deal hey?

5 Likes

The ‘rat’s a little bit dodge, but comparing it to Palestine is probably a little much.

1 Like

Autocorrect doesn’t know western vic!

1 Like

Polio vaccines are great. No arguments from me.

how was your walk today in the city guzz?

3 Likes

Posts like these are why everyone respects you

5 Likes

Can’t work out why there’s no permanent ban.

2 Likes

The thing is @GuzzLG is the bog standard denialist. You could give them four thousand valid reasons why something works, but misspell one word and they focus on the error while completely ignoring everything else. It is the surest sign that they have no actual evidence to support their theories. There is so much “but look over there, a rabbit” about them that you almost feel sorry for them, then realise that they know exactly what they are doing most of the time and couldn’t give a ■■■■, they just enjoy being ■■■■■. They get off on thinking that they are the smartest kid in the shed, not realising that they have surrounded themselves with friends that make rocks look smart, so their bar is set very low.

8 Likes