Used Car Recommendations

I've had 314 subarus, and none of them has ever had anything wrong. Faultless. They retain their value, so might be a bit pricier.

I got an 04 forester for $6500 so you could probably get one cheaper on mainland.
You have lots of choice pick a car you like then try and get best deal.

One valuable lesson learned in this thread was to make sure you change your oil.

Thanks DonsForEverChangingHisOil.

i had a car once. 

My dad's 2001 Magna was close to the smoothest car I have ever driven. It made no sense to me, it looked ordinary, it had the turning circle of couch, but somehow it was just great to drive and dad never really had any issues with it. So I get the appeal Wim.

But about 2 years ago it just started to fark up, all the time. Did a head gasket, a fan belt, transmission all in pretty quick succession... and the resale value is virtually less than selling it for scrap.

I got a 2003 VY commodore wagon about 18 months ago for 7K, and it's been awesome. I'd always been a bit anti-Holden before then, but it's honestly the best car I've ever owned.

I'm not a car guy, but my only advice is don't put a line through a particular make or model 'just because.'    

Wim,if you still want a car with good interior room, nice large boot, and the ability to get up and boogie out on the open road, but don't want a Holden or Ford, may I suggest a 2005/6 model Hyundai Sonata Elite. 3.3l V6 and was cruising very comfortably and smoothly north of 180km/h on a trip up to Exmouth. They are actually a very nice car to drive. Had ours for 7 years now, and have only had one issue, where the engine dropped power (was a coil issue) but still able to get to mechanic. Lots of bells and whistles if your into it, curtain, side and front airbags, stability control, ABS, 5 speed auto with sport mode, leather seats (electric drivers), alloy wheels, cruise control, climate control ... These are the same cars that the Singaporeans use as taxi's (diesel models there), which is always a good starting point when talking about reliability. A quick check of Carsales showed 9 under $7.5k so adding an extra .5 should increase that yield.

Going with the best deal, sadly.
7.5 for a 53k 2008 Lancer.
I almost had a cool car.

Lancers are alright, I had a roughly 2010 with the 2.4 engine.

Also: gee Wim you’ve got to love the dozen helpful people who piped up after you bought one!

I bought a Honda Accord Euro in Dec 2010, despite people telling me the upkeep is expensive and the servicing exorbitant.
So far everything's been half as expensive as the Ford I previously had, and not a single thing has gone amiss.
Drives well...love the proximity sensors and the heated seats...the GPS is Sensis and therefore absolute crap and expensive to update. I rarely use it.

Was your Ford a focus?

I bought a Honda Accord Euro in Dec 2010, despite people telling me the upkeep is expensive and the servicing exorbitant.
So far everything's been half as expensive as the Ford I previously had, and not a single thing has gone amiss.
Drives well...love the proximity sensors and the heated seats...the GPS is Sensis and therefore absolute crap and expensive to update. I rarely use it.

Was your Ford a focus?
Yes

Was your Ford a focus?
Yes

The european-sourced tax. It happens to re-badged Opels at Holden too.

Not a Lada

Not a Lada

Lada are nada.

Is it the Lada that has the heated rear window so your hands don't get cold when you start it in the morning?