Vale Keith Dunstan

The man who helped create the Anti Football league in the late 1970's and one of Melbourne's most well known journalists, has passed away this morning aged 88.

RIP.

A good man with a gentle sense of humour. He would never get a job with the Murdoch press these days.

He was one of the great Australians of the old school. He was a son of a VC winner. He was knowledgeable, self-deprecating, had a wry sense of humour, and could communicate with all levels of society.

He also wrote books that summed up the Australian psyche, eg "Wowsers", "Knockers"as well as others on the MCG and CUB. (People nowadays are less educated and use words like wowsers in the wrong sense).

One of his stories that I recall (but can't recount as well) was from his time in the RAAF in WW2.  He failed a test to get his driver's license. The examiner heard he already had his pilot's license with the RAAF, and thought if he was good enough to fly a plane he must be good enough to drive, so gave him a pass anyway.

Vale to a great Melbournian.

Loved his articles about the Anti-Football League. They featured in the HUN for about 20 years from 1970 to 1970. They had a few hundred members, and from memory organised alternative functions on GF day.

I would join the anti-football league nowadays.

I would join the anti-football league nowadays.

l am anti the AFL, but it is not the same thing as what Keith Dunstan was talking about. His regular column was usually good for a chuckle or few. He also campaigned hard for many years to have construction sites put in viewing screens so passers by could get an eyeful of what was going on. 

Loved his articles about the Anti-Football League. They featured in the HUN for about 20 years from 1970 to 1970. They had a few hundred members, and from memory organised alternative functions on GF day.

The shortest 20 years in history.  :P

Had quite a lot to do with Keith for many years. An absolute gentleman, a great raconteur, and just an all round decent bloke.

R.I.P Keith Dunstan

1002611_219443744888539_203792784_n.jpg

An Anti Football League raffle ticket from 1977. Keith was the leader of this movement.

Someone not associated with Essendon should use that idea for away games next year.

I reckon you’d sell a few.

Another Dunstonian quote from the pre-Murdoch years:

"People who can't think buy the Herald, those who can't read buy the Sun [News Pictorial]".

These days, that should be updated to: "Those who can neither read nor think buy the Herald-Sun".

1st Prize a Datsun 120Y Deluxe.

Does anyone else think that wim looks like Louis CK?

1st Prize a Datsun 120Y Deluxe.

Should have been a Malvern Star.

Love the second prize. Two weeks at Ming Court Hotel in Singapore. Ming Court is a famous short time hotel in Hong Kong, and a mere 50 metres from my apartment.

Minge Court.

RIP Keith Dunstan.

Love the second prize. Two weeks at Ming Court Hotel in Singapore. Ming Court is a famous short time hotel in Hong Kong, and a mere 50 metres from my apartment.

Short time hotel = hot pillow joint?

Rented by the hour?

Short time hotel = hot pillow joint?

Rented by the hour?

The 50 meteres? That would be down corridor a and left into corridor b yes?