Vale Peter Hickmott

Sorry to inform he has passed on.
A very well attended goodbye to Peter held at Windy Hill last week.
Ken Fletcher gave a moving speech and a former Horsham football coach also spoke very well .
I believe Peter also coached Horsham.
Peter loved Essendon dearly.
RIP Peter Hickmott 58 games 72/77 era.

very sad…my older sister had the biggest crush on him

Sad news indeed.

:frowning:

i have a scalens card of him. mad hair.
cant of been that old.

He had that punching bag business with Jim Bradley, didn’t he?

Used to deal with another Wimmera HFF who wore #23 at Knight Sports in Bentleigh.

Might have been another Horsham boy too in Ross Higgins.

It was an HFF number for a while after Ken Fraser with Les Stillman too.

Andy Wilson maybe is the person #33
Have a vague recollection of Peter ,Andy and Jim Bradley starting up a speed ball business in Rose st.
Shane Heard in much later years

Andy Wilson maybe is the person #33 Have a vague recollection of Peter ,Andy and Jim Bradley starting up a speed ball business in Rose st. Shane Heard in much later years

I’m not sure if that was in answer to me, but Es Stillman, Ross Higgins and Peter H all wore #23 and Andy W certainly was #33

Peter Hickmott certainly was number 23. His last season was 1977 with the Dons. He was seen as the one of the first taggers. I reckon he went back bush for a few years but I am sure he played with Footscray after that.

Andy Wilson maybe is the person #33 Have a vague recollection of Peter ,Andy and Jim Bradley starting up a speed ball business in Rose st. Shane Heard in much later years

I’m not sure if that was in answer to me, but Es Stillman, Ross Higgins and Peter H all wore #23 and Andy W certainly was #33

Yes it was you .
I cant recall Ross Higgins,hes not listed in flying higher .
Cant say for certain that Andy Wilson and Jim Bradley started up speed ball business just a vague memory.

Peter Hickmott certainly was number 23. His last season was 1977 with the Dons. He was seen as the one of the first taggers. I reckon he went back bush for a few years but I am sure he played with Footscray after that.

Yes Peter played 15 games for Footscray in 1991 he coached our under 19 side.

Yes it was you .
I cant recall Ross Higgins,hes not listed in flying higher .
Cant say for certain that Andy Wilson and Jim Bradley started up speed ball business just a vague memory.

Never heard of Ross Higgins at Essendon but Bradley and Wilson were the first to market speed ball.They made a bomb as all clubs took it p. I remember it being installed in the Essendon rooms first out to the side of the main rooms in what would have then been the Second XVIII rooms.

Fraser was #23 to 1968
Stillman 69-70
Higgins 71
Hickmott 72-79

Maybe Higgins never got a senior game, but he was a rangy left-footed HFF from I think Horsham.

i have a scalens card of him. mad hair. cant of been that old.

I was fortunate enough to be a guest for a roast dinner with John Birt from Anglesea our senior coach in 71 during winter this year.
It was a terrific experience for me.
He was an utter gentlemen and told many a story about his playing days hes a keen golfer and healthy these days .
I will ask him next time when hopefully our mutual friend invites us again.

Some well known names in the obituaries paying their respects:

http://tributes.heraldsun.com.au/notice/194662009