Vale Ron Clarke

Jack Clarke’s brother and one of our finest athletes, passed away this morning on the Gold Coast, where for 8 years he was the mayor of the city, aged 78.

RIP.

Played a few games for our reserves too.

Played a few games for our reserves too.

Too slow for the wing. Wore #40

Not the best mayor we ever had, not the worst either.

Saw him break a world record at Olympic Park in 1964 and another in 65.

I still have his book “The Unforgiving Minute” that I got for my birthday in 1966. Mum got it signed by Ron Clarke and it is a treasured possession. He tells in his story about growing up with Jack and their love for the Bombers. He reckoned he could never beat Jack at anything, and after his gave up his dream to be a VFL player, got Jack to agree not to be a runner, as he doubted he would beat him!

An iconic Aussie middle distance runner. Doubt we will see a better one in the future.

And one of the greatest middle distance runners ever.

He was my fave runner when he was a kid. Could have won an Olympic medal if the games in '68 had not been held in Mexico, where the altitude favored others. A true gentleman, followed in his brother’s footsteps. l have much love and respect for the Clarke’s.

And one of the greatest middle distance runners ever.

Saddened by the death of Ron Clarke. A lovely man, brother of Jack, ex student of Essendon High School and a very fine man.