Vax on? Vax off?

I happen to know someone who decided against vaccinating their daughter because of scary chemicals, autism, even some crap about shaken baby syndrome being because of vaccines. When I and a few other tried to convince her the potential risks she was putting her own child under she then managed to discover homeopathy (which is even more bat **** crazy) and sees that as a viable alternative to the 'nasty' pharmaceutical vaccines. The more you challenge someone on their beliefs the further down the track they can run.

Well at least her child will be well hydrated. That's something I suppose.

There used to be some utter flog on here who argued against vaccination, but I think he argued against everything reasonable. Lived in the home of the utter flog...northern NSW.

I remember that banana.  Despite me posting numerous sources denouncing the original study (including from the author himself), he still stuck firm to his beliefs. Takes a special kind of mong to do that.

You'd be interested to know he has a relative here who's continually posting that we're as guilty as hell in the Sorry Saga.

FIIK why the prick hasn't been banned for good.

Is alright, homeopathy will cure all of the above mentioned diseases.

empirical, specifically targeted medical programs against highly contagious and unselective viruses and bacteria are in no way analogous to trying to enforce sexual choices on sentient beings for an entire lifespan.  it is not in any way a "logical extension", either practically or 'morally'. 

More to the point, a purely societal approach to preventing STDs has been tried multiple times in the past and is a multiple times proven failure.

Go back to the middle ages or the Puritan era or similar, and adultery and prostitution are both illegal (with heavy penalties like in some cases branding, flogging, ostracism, etc) and carry massive societal stigma.  Virginity at the time of wedding is not just expected, it's a massive scandal and a life- and reputation-destroying event should it not be the case.  Homosexuality is generally punishable with death.  It doesn't help.  Syphilis and gonorhorrea still spread like wildfire.

More recently, you can look at the AIDS epidemic, especially in the well-educated, wealthy West.  Everyone knows that to protect yourself from AIDS you can abstain, use a condom, be careful of your sexual partners, don't share needles (the blood transfusion method of infection has largely been eliminated, thank goodness).  The information is out there.  The means are out there.  Societally we're open enough about sexual issues that it can be talked about and the info be disseminated rather than being smothered under a blanket of taboo and embarrassment like it is in Iran or China.  If any society ever was in a position to successfully control an STD through societal means, it's the modern West.  We failed.  People still get AIDS. 

Societal controls (legal or moral) can mitigate to some degree, but that's all.  It's been tried, again and again, and it's failed, again and again.  So when you're talking about abstinence/chastity/sexual repression/regulation/whaever being a 100% effective prevention measure against STDs, you're provably wrong.

There is something abnormal about people who don't vax their kids. My cousin is one. She's always been a bit hippy-ish but after she met the bloke she's with now she's gone off the deep end. She's had two kids herself, neither of them vaccinated because of nasty autism and diseases and is bringing them up as vegans. I think that is just as bad as not vaccinating your child and it confuses the hell out of me because her husband's child from his first marriage HAS AUTISM AND IS ALWAYS SICK AND HE WAS NEVER VACCINATED AND BROUGHT UP AS A VEGAN. She has physical real life evidence that everything she believes is a crock and she goes along with it anyway. I just wanna smash her head through into a wall until she understands.

empirical, specifically targeted medical programs against highly contagious and unselective viruses and bacteria are in no way analogous to trying to enforce sexual choices on sentient beings for an entire lifespan.  it is not in any way a "logical extension", either practically or 'morally'. 

More to the point, a purely societal approach to preventing STDs has been tried multiple times in the past and is a multiple times proven failure.

Go back to the middle ages or the Puritan era or similar, and adultery and prostitution are both illegal (with heavy penalties like in some cases branding, flogging, ostracism, etc) and carry massive societal stigma.  Virginity at the time of wedding is not just expected, it's a massive scandal and a life- and reputation-destroying event should it not be the case.  Homosexuality is generally punishable with death.  It doesn't help.  Syphilis and gonorhorrea still spread like wildfire.

More recently, you can look at the AIDS epidemic, especially in the well-educated, wealthy West.  Everyone knows that to protect yourself from AIDS you can abstain, use a condom, be careful of your sexual partners, don't share needles (the blood transfusion method of infection has largely been eliminated, thank goodness).  The information is out there.  The means are out there.  Societally we're open enough about sexual issues that it can be talked about and the info be disseminated rather than being smothered under a blanket of taboo and embarrassment like it is in Iran or China.  If any society ever was in a position to successfully control an STD through societal means, it's the modern West.  We failed.  People still get AIDS. 

Societal controls (legal or moral) can mitigate to some degree, but that's all.  It's been tried, again and again, and it's failed, again and again.  So when you're talking about abstinence/chastity/sexual repression/regulation/whaever being a 100% effective prevention measure against STDs, you're provably wrong.

That is very well put HM.  The reason it fails in it's attempts is the people back then (and many today) failed to accept one simple premise, human nature cannot be controlled by outside influences, it is very much controlled only by the individual.  You can control how it looks to society (like the Libs and the current boat people process) but the reality is that people will do what people want to do and sex is a great motivator.  They will hide it from you but they will still partake of it if they are so inclined to do so.
I am not the sort of Christian who believes we should make society play by our rules, simply because it has proven not to work and also because it is not what I believe God has asked us to do.

Why are churchies so obsessed with everyone else's sex lives?

There is something abnormal about people who don't vax their kids. My cousin is one. She's always been a bit hippy-ish but after she met the bloke she's with now she's gone off the deep end. She's had two kids herself, neither of them vaccinated because of nasty autism and diseases and is bringing them up as vegans. I think that is just as bad as not vaccinating your child and it confuses the hell out of me because her husband's child from his first marriage HAS AUTISM AND IS ALWAYS SICK AND HE WAS NEVER VACCINATED AND BROUGHT UP AS A VEGAN. She has physical real life evidence that everything she believes is a crock and she goes along with it anyway. I just wanna smash her head through into a wall until she understands.

Same with this person I know. She's also vegan and is going to raise her daughter vegan. I think these people just suffer from a brand of post hoc fallacy, wanting to be 'edgy', thinking that some corporate or government entity is out to get them and that the less 'chemicals' they consume the 'purer' they will be. No amount of reason, logic or science can change their opinion because they just see it all as appeals to authority. If someone starts with a baseless assertion and then does nothing but attempt to rationalise it without questioning the assertion itself you can't get through to them.

Religions like to control basic human needs and desires. For example, before you eat you make it all about god. They control these things they control you.

Same with this person I know. She's also vegan and is going to raise her daughter vegan. I think these people just suffer from a brand of post hoc fallacy, wanting to be 'edgy', thinking that some corporate or government entity is out to get them and that the less 'chemicals' they consume the 'purer' they will be. No amount of reason, logic or science can change their opinion because they just see it all as appeals to authority. If someone starts with a baseless assertion and then does nothing but attempt to rationalise it without questioning the assertion itself you can't get through to them.

I would attribute their behaviour to a bacon deficiency.

You can get STD's from a toilet seat. Lets abstain from ■■■■■■■■.

Pertinent: http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/one-map-sums-damage-caused-anti-vaccination-movement

Religions like to control basic human needs and desires. For example, before you eat you make it all about god. They control these things they control you.

Religions control nothing, people try to control people and use various vehicles to do so, whether that be a religious organisation, government, courts, school, households, etc.  Laying the blame of control on religion in general is shoddy work and rather disingenuous.

Religions control nothing, people try to control people and use various vehicles to do so, whether that be a religious organisation, government, courts, school, households, etc.  Laying the blame of control on religion in general is shoddy work and rather disingenuous.

You are 100% correct in saying people try to control people , using words written by other people.

Im not against vaxs, i do have some concerns, not relating to autism or mercury, but concerns about drug companys selling vaccines that give mild protection to disease's where getting hit by a car is more likely to occur than the disease they are vaccinating against, under the guise of "you can never be too sure"

Do you know why the likelihood of contracting such diseases is so low?

Because of

wait for it

no seriously this is great

because of

preventative vaccination programs

45822-Keanu-Bill-and-Ted-whoa-gif-Yr7D.g

Sure. Religion is one of the vehicles people use. And use it very effectively they have. 

Sure. Religion is one of the vehicles people use. And use it very effectively they have. 

They have used Governments far more effectively though.  Now they use the media.

yoda.jpg

Mmmm?  Mmmm.

They have used Governments far more effectively though.  Now they use the media.

I think you might get the chocolates on that point.

It‘s a huge imposition for governments to make vaccinations compulsory, and I wouldn‘t support it even though I'm pro-vaccination. That sort of stuff is the domain of the hard right and left. Continuing to educate regarding the benefits of vaccination is a better method. Most people know better. Even Jenny McCarthy!

As for tackling the scourge of STDs through forced monogamy, how would the government go about that? I suppose shaming and scare-mongering could work.