Veterans List

I think Dunlop can probably answer this, but we have 3 players who qualify for veterans list status this year, Fletch, Jobe and Licha. Is there still a restriction of 2 per club, and what are the concessions, half their salary goes out of the cap and it has an effect on the amount of rookies that can be selected?

or has that changed? I know they redid the rules around this last season, cant for the life of me remember what the changes were?

My understanding is that there are 2 parts to it.

1. For the purposes of list numbers you can have 2 veterans therefore extending your main list to 40.
  2. For the purposes of salary cap you can have as many as you like and it’s $100k per player ( or thereabouts) not half.

I also would think Stanton qualifies as well. I don’t think it’s based on age anymore but rather 10 years of service.

All it does is change the numbers of rookies you can have, I think...minimum 4.

All it does is change the numbers of rookies you can have, I think...minimum 4.

I had an idea you have 4 as a minimum, can have more at the expense of senior list spots, but then you can play x amount of rookies per game without a corresponding LTI for every rookie you have over 4. I may be incorrect.

The system is ■■■■ and illogical.

Maximum of 44 players in total. 38 main list and 6 rookies ( there are also spots outside the list for international scholarships etc but ignore those for this discussion)). But two rookie spots can be filled with “veterans”. Now that fletch is on one year deals, we switched to the new veterans salary cap setup a couple of years back, where you get roughly $115k per eligible player outside the cap, and can have as many vets as you want - Sydney have banked on this re Franklin deal- but all bar two are in the list of 38.

So Hille departs, licha goes to vets list spot, we stay with four rookie spots ( currently two open with hunter gone and dalgleish upgraded into the 38) and then add incoming players to the main list until 38 is reached.

As I understand it…

The four rookie spots should be kept in mind when people start talking about rookie-ing Tippa, and a ruckman, and demote Jetta or Davey etc etc. Currently, we can only do two. Steinberg and/or Dell would have to go for the rest to happen.

Winderlich a veteran????

Sheesh, wheres the time gone.

OK, I’ve had a look at the rules, by my figuring, the new veterans rule (25.3) makes no mention of list sizes, appendix A which talks about list sizes doesn’t mention veterans. I think that now all veterans are considered main list for list number purposes, and veteran status only count for total player payments.

List size is now your choice of 38 main + 6 rookies, 39+5 or 40+4 irrespective of veterans.

I assume we’re going 40+4.

Which means plenty more juggling to fit everyone in.

Out: Hille, Davis, NLM, Crameri, Gumbleton

In: Edwards, Aylett, Chapman, pick 26, pick 42 pick 66 ( Dalgleish) doesn’t add up.

Either Chapman’s not coming, Dalgleish isn’t getting upgraded, or someone else (Pears, Davey, Jetta) is going…

Actually Dalgleish not getting upgraded doesn’t help.

But maybe we can draft Chapman to make it work.

Don't think anyone is talking about Davey or Jetta being rookied. Davey is either fully in or out, and Jetta will stay on the main list.

Wouldn't mind upgrading both of Stein and Dell but they look like staying rookies so that plus Tippa and another (ruckman?) and yeah.

Anyone have any definitive info on which players have previously been listed as veterans? Rules say must have completed 10 years or more of service which means being drafted/traded in 2003 draft (either rookie or senior) so that should mean:

- New this year is Stanton only.

- Dropping off the list should be Hille only, as NLM was only eligible this season as was rookied in 2003.

Assume that Jobe and Winders were listed last year? Fletch previously listed as well.

Can there be a, like, super-veterans concession for those who have been on the veteran's list for 10 years?

Can there be a, like, super-veterans concession for those who have been on the veteran's list for 10 years?

Yeah, there's the geriatric concession for players with 20+ years of service.

Yeah, there's the geriatric concession for players with 20+ years of service.

SeniorsCard.jpg