VFL 2022 Squad updates

He’s playing cricket for Port Fairy today.

I’d heard he was playing footy for Koroit, then that fell through and was training with a Ballarat League club.

2 Likes

I reckon our VFL team is going to be really strong this year.

We need @theDJR commentary back too.

1 Like

or just all the EFC VFl games on Kayo.

4 Likes

Kayo lacks;
Hot chip reports
Umpire abuse
Liberal use of the terms “seagull” & “spud”

3 Likes

Just a heads up for those interested, we’ll be playing a VFL practice match against the Dogs immediately after the AFL game is finished on Wednesday evening, so around 5:45. There’s likely to be a bit of crossover of players between the games and will be plenty of AFL & VFL talent on display for those keen to have a look. Not sure if it’ll be advertised at all, but it will be happening.

47 Likes

Great to hear.

Is the list still in flux, with players being trialed during the practice matches or has the bulk of the playing group been locked in?

Are there still the 6 to 8 players ( or more ) that are signed up only for the Essendon VFL side i.e Heppells brother ??

If so, will these contracted 6 to 8 ( or more ) be the likely Covid top-ups if required ??

Or will be a free for all with the 10 Victorian teams scrambling for the better VFL players, from all VFL sides - affiliated or not ?

Unless things change for the worse from here, I don’t see why any covid top ups would be needed

1 Like

Aaron Heppell has gone back to his country roots.

Most of the ‘traditional’ EFC VFL players like A Heppell, Danny Younan, etc have either retired or moved to country footy. We will be very light on for experienced VFL players this year.

2 Likes

I have heard the following may be happening this year as a precaution. E.g if the AFL team was impacted by covid the day of the game, then the VFL guys can replace them…

AFL Clubs will play their AFL Games before their VFL sides play. Expect lots of Sunday night and Monday night footy this season. Could possibly be 1 Sunday night and 2 Monday night games in round 1 which includes a couple of vfl stand alone clubs. Looks like most games will be on Sundays this season.

AFL clubs will be able to choose when the vfl sides play which makes it hard to organise a full fixture.

1 Like

Has fejo signed yet?

There could still be a little bit of movement in the list but the playing group is largely locked in, which is a lot earlier than last year.

10 Likes

Yes we have a dedicated VFL list, but no we really don’t know what or if any sort of AFL ‘top ups’ scenario will play out at this stage.

Will the VFL’s fairly restricted salary cap be an obstacle in signing the likes of Clarke or any other readyish to go top-up prospects?

Will we see any team sheets around for the game?

1 Like

A lot of recently ex AFL guys will be running around in the VFL this season, so whilst the salary cap is smaller than it once was it’s not really an obstacle no.
Young players recently off AFL lists who still have ambition to get back into the AFL system know that state leagues are likely their best avenue to do that - so even though they can often make more money in local footy that’s rarely the deciding factor for most in my experience. Obviously that’s different for guys in the latter stages of their careers or who don’t have the ambition to try to get back onto a list for whatever reason.

6 Likes

It’s a first practice match with team makeups uncertain and likely crossover between AFL and VFL games, so I highly doubt it but you never know.

Any updates on the VFL praccy?

1 Like

Noticed at the end of the Kayo stream when the VFL side was coming out Fejo Jr was there as mentioned a few days ago. Thought maybe I saw Alex Hird too, as well as Tom, but I may have that wrong?