VFL Practice game vs Sandringham Friday 3rd March 2023 10am @ The Hangar

Superb, thanks CJ… and send our regards to Friend Bruce.

4 Likes

Hopefully VOSS has done enough to get a call up round 1.
even as sub. can play anywhere.

good to get the win.

2 Likes

Any reports on how Wanga went?

Heard pretty quiet today

4 Likes

Voss is super encouraging.

Given Baldwin is likely behind Wright, Weideman, Jones and Voss, it makes so much sense to trial him down back.

Some notes I had from the game. Some VFL guys I didn’t notice so much but may have played better than I thought, it was hard to watch all the new guys and work out who they were.

Happy to answer any questions

18 Lewis Hayes – was solid down back, competes hard, tired in the 2nd half

19 Nick Hind – only played the first half, nice run and carry. Good hit out

24 Nick Bryan – shared ruck duties, up against Tom Campbell. Was better around the ground than in ruck contests. Need to get more physical

26 Kaine Baldwin – only played the first half (At full back), I had him best on for that time, just controlled it down there, some solid marks and positioning. It might be his go, full back.

28 Alastair Lord – nothing to right home about, hasn’t improved from last year

38 Rhett Montgomerie – Really solid, especially in the air, just goes for everything. Good performance

39 Patrick Voss – Outstanding game. Easily BOG. Took marks, on the lead and in packs, multiple don’t argues kicked 3.3 I think. Only negative was he gave away about 5 frees.

40 Tex Wanganeen – A cameo type performance, some brilliance but lacked consistency

41 Cian McBride – Played only the first half. 3rd tall back. Solid, nothing special

50 Brad Lynch – Hurt his shoulder early and tried to play on with no real effect. Heard it’s only a stinger.

55 Tom Phillips – kicked a few goals and ran hard on the wing. Good game

68 Tom Wallis – Started inside mid, solid build now. Did his work in close but didn’t stand out

51 Will Hoare – Solid tall kid, played Fwd and Back, liked what I saw

66 Will Madden – didn’t notice too much

77 Callum McCarty - didn’t notice too much

76 Harry Minton-Connell – looks to have some class and got a bit of it in the 2nd half

57 Billy Cootee – really good game from the midfield

77 Joel Fitzgerald – good game, just a good player as he showed last year

53 Samuel Conforti – Another good performer, kicked a goal and field kicking was good. Captain for today

73 Mathew Foley – Played the 2nd half, classy, still at Calder this year so can’t play full time with us

79 Declan Willmore – Played forward kicked a goal from a mark

80 Solomon McKay - didn’t notice too much

64 Josh Hotchkin – big solid kid, shared the ruck with Bryan, has more aggression than Nick

63 Jack Brown - didn’t notice too much

60 Jack Cleaver – Played half back, impressed, kicking his highlight.

69 Jake Sutton – Played forward and has some smarts, kicked a goal or 2.

52 Carlos Egan – Really small kid but he has a go and has some tricks, did well

45 Likes

Lynch, Philips & Narkle are quality VFL options. Fantastic that we’ve strengthened the VFL this year. If Hobbs, Tsatas, Davey are getting time through the middle later then we may enjoy the VFL games a lot more this year!

Also nice to see our NGA player in Foley getting a go, see if he’s a late bloomer.
Thanks for the write-up @All-Star_Bomber_18!

What position was he playing?

1 Like

3rd/4th tall back. Intercepting role.

3 Likes

Possibly an alternative to Kelly if we want to go more attacking at some stage then. And kind of backup to Redman.

1 Like

Really hard not to be excited by the potential of Voss. He is improving at a rapid rate and has so many qualities that the senior team is screaming out for. At KPF height and with the mobility of someone much smaller he is perfectly suited to the modern game. Not to mention he looks like he smashes his head against brick walls for fun.

Has the next Essendon cult hero written all over him IMO.

7 Likes

i’m excited

1 Like

Sounds determined to crack into the firsts this season, excellent signs.

Just keeps getting on the scoreboard. If he can keep it up he is going to become very hard to ignore.

19 years old.

2 Likes

the kids always bring hope

Rebellions are built on hope.

5 Likes

Where did Brad Lynch play before getting injured?

Great reports. Love hearing about Voss, the man is a machine. Dare I say it he sounds like Blitz favourite Hal Hunter, but with talent.

Should we be playing Voss in the Stringer position in our structure while Stringer is missing?

I personally would love to see Wright, Jones and Voss in the round 1 side. Particularly against a backline like Hawthorns.

1 Like

and intoxicated mobs

Wing/HF i think

2 Likes