VFL practice match vs Werribee 2018-03-24

Im guessing he was wearing the Essendon Guernsey with no sleeves!

I changed jacket to a waterproof one when I looked out the window before leaving home. I also walked very deliberately on the field and thus didn’t get much water into the shoes.

Soft, I know.

1 Like

I thought you might have had the Guernsey on, just in case one of the players went down injured before the bounce.

Gotta be prepared!

Thanks for the update.

Not suprised to see Mynott doing well, absolute steal as a rookie

1 Like

Thanks DJR.

I suppose Mynott was the surprise. Pleased to hear he is doing well. Not often we stick a young player straight into the guts. Even more unusual if they hold their own.

Anybody know if there’s a VFL practice match next weekend?

Next week we play Footscray at Footscray from 12 noon on Saturday. “Only game in town”!

Craigieburn says “hold my beer”.

Seriously, having watched a few clips of the game above, the standing water at the beloved Highgate Recreation Reserve covered a much greater portion of the ground than in Cairns.

1 Like

Thanks DJR, I will get out there.
Haven’t been to Western Oval since Rnd 1 1995, Bombers v Fitzroy

1 Like

Still annoyed at us going to sleep in that game: was 14.13 to 1.0 at three quarter time, then we let them kick 5 more goals!

We didn’t really go to sleep. It was down to Sheedy getting bored and experimenting by swapping several players into unaccustomed positions.

VFL practice match report
Callum O’Connor March 26, 2018 1:25 PM

Mark Baguley was among Essendon’s best players in a VFL practice match on Saturday.

A fast start saw Essendon coast to a 36-point win amidst the teeming rain in its second VFL practice match against Werribee at Highgate Reserve on Saturday.

The Bombers defied the slippery conditions in the first quarter as they racked up 16 forward entries to one and kicked four unanswered goals. The worsening weather stalled Essendon’s momentum, but a string of last quarter goals had the Bombers sailing home against the inaccurate Tigers to win 9.5 (59) to 2.11 (23).

AFL-listed Bombers Mark Baguley and Matt Leuenberger were amongst the best against Werribee. Baguley bustled hard in defence, saving an almost certain goal with a desperate dive on the stroke of three-quarter time and pushing upfield when the Bombers were on the attack.

Leuenberger’s strong attack on the ball in the ruck gave his rovers a crucial edge in conditions that otherwise denied finesse.

Midfielders Dylan Clarke and Jackson Merrett, and debutant Jamieson Sheahan also impressed, while Kieran Strachan’s employment as a key forward resulted in a third-quarter purple patch as the young tall kicked two goals.

Danny Younan and Alex Marklew also had standout moments in the first and third quarters respectively with highlight-reel goals.

Coach Dan Jordan says the conditions gave his side a chance to measure up to where they were trying to reach with their game.

“It was really, really wet all day but I thought the guys focused really hard on what we were trying to achieve,” Jordan said after the match.

“We really centred around the contest, outnumbering and just competing.”

Jordan also commended the performance of the four players who made their Essendon debuts against Werribee. Sheahan, Luke Collins, Trent Crosbie and Kalan Huntly all started their journeys on a day that Jordan said demanded commitment to the game plan.

“It was great to give those guys an opportunity to put their hand up. I thought most of them played their role reasonably well,” he said.

“Tough day to be initiated into VFL footy, but one thing that a day like today does is show the importance of structure. Gaping holes can open up if you don’t adhere to the structures you’re trying to implement.”

Essendon will face Footscray next Saturday at VU Whitten Oval from 12pm in their final practice match ahead of their round onr season-opening clash with Frankston.

3 Likes